5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Deftones
Published on 22 April 2010 by David Redfearn

3.0 out of 5 stars it may be your masterpiece, it isnt mine
There is hype and there is anticipation and there is hope and there are other things of course which filled my mind as the release date for this album approached. I pre-ordered this and when it arrived i was filled with utter excitement.
The bands previous album has been slated big time by some and i for one dont mind it. This album isnt much better than 'saturday...
Published on 8 July 2010 by sean paul mccann

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Deftones, 22 April 2010
David Redfearn (Worksop, Nottinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diamond Eyes (Audio CD)
I've been a long time Deftones fan, but I was not a huge fan of Saturday Night Wrist, I thought it was okay but probably their weakest album. I guess then that I had some reservations about this their next album. I shouldn't have worried, Diamond Eyes is stunningly good. Track 2, "Royal" is raw and visceral and ends with Chino literally screaming as a driving heavy guitar plays out - its a shiver down the spine moment and the stand out track for me - an instant classic. There are many highlights but I think you need to find these out for yourself.
Deftones have always been an acquired taste, the tracks on here are a diverse mix of grace and ambience one moment followed by raw power and force on another. If you fall in to either camp and aren't prepared to embrace both you won't get it - if you are already a Deftones fan you will love it, if you fancy trying something different I think you will soon be converted.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, powerful record, 26 May 2010
This review is from: Diamond Eyes (Audio CD)
Although I have long been fanatical about this band, I will always admit their faults. For me, self-titled was a record on which they sounded well and truly stuck in a rut. It was plodding, lacking urgency and inspiration. Saturday Night Wrist was more promising but wildly inconsistent. It contains some of their best work - Combat and Rapture stand among their best songs for me - but also some of their most insipid - Xerces, Pink Cellphone, Mein. All the songs in between such as Cherry Waves and Beware, although decent, failed to really stick in my conciousmess for too long. That record was very much the victim of the fractured nature of its own recording.

I worried about Eros as it seemed they were getting bogged down in creating a masterpiece, but as we all know fate tragically intervened. The band was floored by Chi's accident and Eros was indefinitely shelved.

All of which makes Diamond Eyes one of the unexpected triumphs of recent years. Throwing off the shackles of grief and getting back to what they did best on ATF and WP, all with a renewed sense of purpose and energy...well, I can think of no better tribute to their stricken compadre.

The record opens with the title track, which I actually didn't really like at first. It sticks in your head after time though and I now think its the perfect way to kick off the record. It's positive, upbeat, uplifting. Life-affirming. Which is a recurrent theme throughout.

Next up is Royal which, just like Rapture does on SNW, throws you off kilter after a melodic opener in brutal brilliant fashion. Deftones at their powerful best.

CMD/CTRL almost reverts to the hip-hop stylings of Back to School. This one draws you in with its persistent chug and thud.

You've Seen the Butcher is a real standout. A slow, menacing riff underpinned with some nice atmospherics and a knockout bridge/chorus combination. This really takes me back to White Pony era 'tones. Beauty School follows and a brisk, sparse almost 80s sounding arrangement during the verses leads to a powerful chorus that builds in intensity. This pairing of tracks leading up to midway in the record really does build momentum and excitement for what's to follow, absolutely brilliant stuff.

Prince is the most White Pony track on the album, owing mainly to the fact that they seem to have entirely ripped off another one of their own songs, Rx Queen. It's rumoured that this is a response or follow-up to that tune, but in places it really is almost entirely identical. Still, if you're a fan of Rx Queen, as I am, it follows that you will enjoy this a lot.

Rocket Skates we all know very well by now. Again, I wasn't actually too sure about this on first listen but you cannot help but get drawn in by its relentless chugging riff and it works well in the context of the album. This is followed by Sextape which is by turns horizontally chilled and soaring.

What follows next is, in my opinion, astonishing stuff. Deftones do have a knack of peaking towards the end of albums. Around the Fur had the Dai Th Flu and Headup combination. White Pony has Passenger, Change and Pink Maggit, while SNW had the neat Combat/Kimdracula pairing.

Diamond Eyes has Risk and 976-EVIL. These tracks, to me, are two of the most powerful the band have produced to date. Chino has stated that not one song was written specifically about or to Chi but many of the lyrics allude to his feelings around the situation. It's on these two songs where you can hear this most. Risk has to be one of the most emotionally charged songs they've produced and I'm not exaggerating when I say it's one of thir finest career achievements. I could listen to it a thousand times on a loop and get lost in it more with every listen. Ditto for 976-EVIL. This song is epic, stunning and overflowing with emotion. It makes the hairs on the neck stand up every time.

After that pairing of tracks, album closer This Place is Death is something of an inevitable anti-climax, but on its own merits is another powerful tune.

Diamond Eyes has the urgency and inspiration so lacking in self-titled, and the cohesion and consistency so lacking on Wrist. Without a shadow of doubt, their finest record since White Pony. Given the circumstances surrounding the birth of this album, what they've given us really is some achievement and they should be rightly proud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best album by a long way., 21 Oct 2012
This review is from: Diamond Eyes (Audio CD)
This is a Deftones shorn of the excess fat that plagued some of their previous albums. This is a lean, hungry Deftones. This is Deftones at their best.

All of the songs on here are compact and tight, coming and going in fairly short order but leaving a very lasting impression in almost every case. The melodies are carried primarily by Chino's vocals, and by the occasional keyboards. The guitars here function almost as percussion instruments, providing little in the way of melody but plenty of meaty, slamming rhythm. Check out the staccato assault during the verses of the title track, or the bruising grooves of "CMND/CTRL", or the brilliantly slithering chops of "You've Seen The Butcher" for an idea of what I mean.

This tops White Pony, which is saying rather a lot. This really is Deftones firing on all cylinders. But excitingly enough, what I've heard from their new album (released November) suggests that Chino and crew will be continuing this creative streak, and possibly even surpassing what they achieved with this remarkable disc.

So until November, and Koi No Yokan, Diamond Eyes remains the crowning achievement in Deftones' impressive career. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another classic Deftones record...., 10 April 2010
Michael Wood "shadowman" (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diamond Eyes (Audio CD)
As if any of them aren't?

I've seriously listened to this thing (since I downloaded it, shhhh, relax I pre-ordered it too) probably close to 30 times straight. It's just 'off the wall' (as Chino vocalizes in one of the tracks, lol)......

There are a couple of light tracks that take a few spins to click, but once they do, they're just as addicting as the heavy numbers. 'Rocket Skates' and 'Diamond Eyes' are honestly just teasers, even if fantastic ones, to prepare you for the rest of the album.

After more than a couple spins, it was obvious that we can at least partially thank Stephan's love of Meshuggah for what I feel is his most crushing guitar tone to date. Frank's creativity with the samples and keys doesn't let up either and it's really cool what he's come up with on this one. As for Chino (one of my all-time favorite vocalists), he's of course in top form........whether he uses his insane scream or his soothing whisper of beauty.....the range and variation is here.

The album contains at least 2-3 tracks that should be solidified in Deftones setlist from now on..........some of my favorite tracks by the band. This album will take listeners through a wonderful journey of fresh noise, while building anew from Saturday Night Wrist, White Pony, and Around the Fur.

Chi would be proud guys......no worries......and my hat goes off to you for losing a brother (hopefully only temporarily) and continuing on, since we all know by now how hard it was to get through SNW in one piece. What's even more disturbing to me is that there is ANOTHER Deftones record, entitled Eros, just sitting on the shelf prior to Chi's accident. Wow......just wow. If they could pull Diamond Eyes off within a mere 6 months, and Eros already before that, I CAN'T WAIT for what else these 5 guys can do in the studio.

5.0 out of 5 stars WoW, 14 Aug 2012
This review is from: Diamond Eyes (Audio CD)
I love all the Deftones previous albums, especially 'Around the Fur' and white pony and for some reason I had a good feeling about this latest installment. As soon as the package arrived, I carefully opened it up, removed the CD from the beautifully stylised case, placed it into my music player and sat back with intense anticipation.

From the very first Track 'Diamond Eyes' I was in love, I preyed the rest of this album could live up to the greatness of this song. In true form for the Deftones, every track had me mesmerized, the hairs on the back of my neck were on end.

By the time I reached what I think of as the climax of the album, the track called 'risk' I was feeling bliss in its rawest form, I was in awe at the realisation I have discovered what could be the greatest album of all time.

Ever since I have been in possession of this gem, I have been unable to put it down. I listen to it everywhere, at home, in the car, on the train journey to work, at work. I never tire, trapped in a euphoric world of beauty and emotion.

I cannot stress enough how great this album is, it is a definite must have if you are a fan of Deftones and their brilliant take on the superior genre that is metal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 27 Jun 2010
J. Leggett (Oxford) - See all my reviews
Best most comprehensive record they have done. Every emotion and feeling is in there somewhere.Essential listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Deftones still pack a punch, but overall they've mellowed out. And they sound great!, 19 May 2010
N Snow "Nick Snow" (Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diamond Eyes (Audio CD)
I read some of the other customer reviews of the Deftones' lastest release 'Diamond Eyes', and I have to say I agree with the hype. This is certainly the best album the band have produced since 'White Pony' and a welcome return after the tragedy of losing Chi to a long-term coma. Typical of the band's style, this album grows more enjoyable after every listen and in some ways outshines all of their other albums in that the flow of tracks works perfectly. Similarly to their previous album 'Saturday Night Wrist', 'Diamond Eyes' hits hard in some places and mellows out in others. However, whereas SNW ended up with a very bumpy 'highs and lows' feel to it, the tone of the music and the arrangement of the tracks on this album gives it a seamless flow.

Cleverly, the band launches the album with 'Diamond Eyes', a track that is instantly accessible and which turns out to represent their new sound pretty well. Upon first listen I felt that this track was by far the best and that I wasn't too sure about many of the others, but on reflection there are plenty of other tracks that are excellent for their own reasons. For instance: the second and third tracks 'Royal' and 'CMND/CTRL' seemed really aggressive and old school for the band following the opening track, but upon subsequent listens they have cemented themselves as 2 of my favourites. These 2 tracks are very reminiscent of their older work, particularly 'White Pony', and they typify the band's style brilliantly. Chino's exquisite vocals vary from pitch-perfect singing to melodic screaming, accompanied by the band's fast paced, hard edge music. The new bassist fits in well and offers some lovely understated riffs, the main guitar work is as sharp as ever, the use of keyboards is subtle but effective and Cunningham is on fine form on the drums.

As the album moves on there are some other hard tracks that don't employ the same use of melody such as 'Rocket Skates'. However, for me, the mellower tracks like 'Evil', 'Sextape' and 'Risk' make this a really rich album. Don't be put off though, when I say "mellower", I'm not taking about acoustic Foo Fighter album fillers or anything like that. These tracks still pack a punch as epic riffs, piano melodies, textures, vocals, screams, changes of tempo and everything else that people love about the Deftones fly through the headphones. In all honesty, there aren't any stand out tracks like their were with the last 2 albums (eg: 'Minerva'), but that's good becuase they all work well to some extent. Best of all though, as much as the Team Sleep side project was interesting for a while, Chino seems to have put it behind him now. This means that there are no experimental electronic tracks like "Lucky You" or "Pink Cellphone" clogging up the flow, leaving you with a great quality rock album from start to finish.

In conclusion, I think that this is a must have for fans and it would probably be worth picking up the deluxe version for the awesome cover of "Do You Believe" by The Cardigans! For non fans, this is a brilliant place to start as the band is a bit of an acquired taste and this album really shows their true colours. Either way, a cracking album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 30 Jun 2013
This review is from: Diamond Eyes (Audio CD)
As a big fan of Deftones I absolutely love this album, totally recommend it!
A must have album with a great track selection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good tunes, 24 April 2013
This review is from: Diamond Eyes (Audio CD)
Awesome CD, really good music. A really good beat and a good mix of heavy and less heavy songs. Would buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Top album 1 or 2 weak tracks, 14 Mar 2013
This review is from: Diamond Eyes (Audio CD)
Cracking album and the first Deftones album I have bought in a few years. Some anthemic stuff on there which makes up for the weaker tracks

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Diamond Eyes
Diamond Eyes by Deftones (Audio CD - 2010)