4.0 out of 5 stars Fine album but...
Published on 9 Mar 2010 by Big Jim

3.0 out of 5 stars Not THAT good
It's ok but not what I was looking for.
I have heard a couple of cracking tracks by these guys on "Planet Rock", which is my lifeblood at work.
Unfortunately the cracking tracks are missing from this particular album.
I will try again in the new year with something from the back catalogue.
Published 19 months ago by Terry Heath

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine album but..., 9 Mar 2010
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: No Guts, No Glory (Audio CD)
Make no mistake this is a fine, energetic, lively and fun album. The problem is you know exactly what you are going to get so that by the end, and this is more true of the deluxe edition, it all sort of blends into one conglomorate of noise. It's a good noise mind you but I will be intrigued as to what this band can do for their third album because they have surely mined this seam to death.

Some of the other reviewers are obviously quite correct with the AC/DC comparisons and the band are more than willing to admit this, but I detect more than a little influence of Slade with this lot especially with the vocals.

So all in all this is fine as far as it goes but don't listen to this if you expect subtlety or new ideas.

4.0 out of 5 stars no guts,no glory,no growth either!, 7 Mar 2010
Mr Blackwell (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: No Guts, No Glory (Audio CD)
well done amazon ordered this a few days ago and it arrives 3 days prior to official released,superb.I have had a couple of days to listen and that it is a good album is not in question,however its not as good as the debut and most songs are basically interchangeable.

Airbourne have went lock stock and barrel for the Ac/Dc comparisons ,right down to the Angus Young guitar solo's.When does immitation become parody?Airbourne really need to branch out and develop their own sound or they will lose momentum

Pretty much every song follows the same pattern,booming drums,sing along chorus,emulating mid 70's Ac/Dc and after a while it becomes samey,there are no 'Ride On's here,at times there is the whiff of one trick pony.

If you want no frills rock n roll then this is the disc for you,it is great but i was hoping for more,some progression,i like Airbourne but it would be a pity if the disappear amid criticism that they dont have their own style.their next album really has to take some chances

5.0 out of 5 stars Raising the flag for ROCK N ROLL, 19 Jun 2012
This review is from: No Guts, No Glory (Audio CD)
I purchased Airbourne's first album after only hearing the title track, and I absolutely loved it - I am 18 years of age and half Australian, so to hear an entire album like that was a sign to me that there was some good left in music!

So without hesitation, I bought this album not listening to a single track. And WHAT an album! Normally I would pick out certain tracks as my favourites, but I just can't this album is consistent head bangin', foot stampin' rock and roll. I personally think Joel O'Keefe is a fantastic front man, and he definitely gets his energy and enthusiasm through the speakers with his roaring vocals and screaming guitar solos!

I will say this, if you are a fan of new and original sounds then you might struggle to like this at first, but I am certain if you liked the old school rock n' roll of the the 70's then it will definitely grow on you. It is just how it used to be in the old days; a WALL of Marshall amps, a few guitars, some drums, no effects and just raw sound and energy.

Much like the first album this is still very riff based with plenty of guitar solos, heavy bass and pure drums. And although some say they are very ACDC, they most definitely have there own style and sound. You can't pick out an Airbourne song that sounds specifically like an ACDC song. They are doing it there own way - Aussie Rock N Roll! Don't, however, be fooled into thinking it's just a bunch of drunk Aussie guys smashing out some music... The majority of the songs you can tell have been well thought out during the writing process, and very well played during the recording. Also, I HAVE to comment on Airbourne's lyrics (I am speaking for both albums here), all of Airbourne's lyrics fit each song superbly and quite often make you laugh. They also help you realise what rock and roll is all about.

An album well worth getting for any rock fan, from now or the 70's or anywhere in between. Pure music in its rawest form.

Airbourne - A real breath of fresh air in the modern music world. Rock N Roll is most definitely still alive!

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% Proof Rock n Roll, 11 Mar 2010
G. De Ste Croix (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Guts, No Glory (Audio CD)
Forget about comparisons, whats been done before, or what might happen in the future. This is a great rock album. You want no frills, heads down, un pc, 70's/80's rockin then this is for you. These guys currently fly the flag for uncomplicated goodtime headbanging. Shure its a bit samey in places but they've have found their niche and they aint givin it up without a fight. You want progression, growth then go listen to Marillion! AC/DC, Status Quo, Whitesnake etc all found their "sounds" and have pretty much stuck to it with great success. Airbourne are a young band with tonnes of energy, and attitude that will keep a smile on the faces of rockers young and old for years to come. On the first album they said "Stand up for Rock n Roll" - they're walkin it like they're talkin it. Go and see them on the tour this month you will not be dissapointed. As for the album its an absolute must have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Follow up blues?, 10 Mar 2010
J. D. Tree "Tree" (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Guts, No Glory (Audio CD)
Its a great album don't get me wrong. I agree with the other reviewers so far! If you liked Airbourne the first time round then you'll like this! But if you're like me & you were blitzed by them first time round then you might find the tracks a little samey but as has been said before its good samey!

I haven't been disappointed but its just hard to beat Runnin Wild!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not THAT good, 29 Dec 2012
This review is from: No Guts, No Glory (Audio CD)
It's ok but not what I was looking for.
Unfortunately the cracking tracks are missing from this particular album.
I will try again in the new year with something from the back catalogue.

4.0 out of 5 stars The most repetitive album ever...and I love it!, 22 July 2011
This review is from: No Guts, No Glory (Audio CD)
On the first listen I couldn't quite see what the fuss was about, it just seemed like a complete ripoff of everything AC/DC had done for years but for some reason I found, and still do find myself totally glued to this cd. After around 8 tracks the cd just seems like its the same song over and over again but when it finishes I just cant help but start it again.

The lyrics are awesome aswell

"I got a girl, she thinks sex is a thrill
I dont wear protection, cos shes on the pill!"

Comon, how can you not love that!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent album from Airbourne, 1 July 2010
This review is from: No Guts, No Glory (Audio CD)
This is another excellent album from Airbourne. At first I did't like it as much as the first one, but I changed my mind as time passed. It's worth the money, buy it.

2.0 out of 5 stars No guts.............no songs!!!!, 11 Jun 2010
This review is from: No Guts, No Glory (Audio CD)
I absolutely loved their debut full length album 'Runnin' Wild' and was really looking forward to this, but oh dear.............

I have given the album time in the hope it would grow on me, but it hasn't.

Too many of the tracks sound exactly the same, with none of the catchiness of the tracks from the debut, even the singles from this album are weak.

Let's hope they can come back from this and deliver a cracking third album.

4.0 out of 5 stars A thumper of an album, but a bit tired, 27 Mar 2010
Brian V. Burford (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Guts, No Glory (Audio CD)
First of all I'd like to say I like this album, but not as much as I liked Running Wild. There is something about this release that's a bit tired - maybe they should have waited a bit longer before getting into the studio. I can't put my finger on it. However, like a previous reviewer said, the AC/DC connection just grows and its the less AC/DC-like songs that I prefer most on the album...although they all seem to have AC/DC hooks and licks.

I was hoping that more of Airbourne's own identity would come to the fore this time, their sound, but sadly not. It's not quite the step forward I was hoping for and I hate the track It Ain't Over until it's over, but there is still some excellent fist pumping, foot stomping, head banging tracks on here, such as Chewin' the Fat, No Way But the Hard Way, Get Busy Livin' - inspired by the movie Shawshank Redemption perhaps? - and Rattle your Bones on the bonus tracks.

Personally I prefer Airbourne's own production on the bonus tracks, it's cleaner and sharper than their the main album.

I'm a big AC/DC fan, so obviously this release goes down well with me. But I prefer Running Wild's immediacy to No Guts No Glory's repetitive sound. However, if you liked their first album and enjoy AC/DC you'll like and enjoy this. It's a good addition to your AC/DC collection, oops, I mean Airbourne collection! All joking aside, despite the obvious similarities Airbourne perform with such energy and enthusiasm, you gotta like them.

I remember a band called Krokus were once accussed of copying AC/DC, which I think a lot of the time they did. And they sucked for it. But Airbourne just pay great homage to that band, and their other influences - I'd just like to hear more of their others influences.

No Guts. No Glory