5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant remake of an old classic.
I was sceptical about this film to begin with, but after watching it I was definitely impressed. There were parts which seemed a little quirky and almost out-of-place but as the Astroboy manga was quirky in places this didn't detract from the film. A heartwarming story (if altered a bit for the movie adaption) that will appeal to an audience of all ages.

A deep...
Published on 20 Jun 2010 by Rhinne

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm a Real Boy
Published on 11 April 2011 by Sam Tyler

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant remake of an old classic., 20 Jun 2010
This review is from: Astro Boy - Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD) (Blu-ray)

A deep story told in a light-hearted fashion with comedy throughout. The characters are endearing and the story is well-paced. Very 'rewatchable' and a great buy :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., 5 Jun 2010
This review is from: Astro Boy - Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD) (Blu-ray)
A real nice proper kids film. Ice age 3, cars, wall-e etc they are all great films but they are really films for adults with their grown up sentiments, innuendo and clever "in" jokes. This is the first animated film I have seen in a while that is aimed squarely at kids. The whole story is told from Astroboy's naive innocent, idealistic point of view which, as he keeps getting knocked, lets the film have an emotional impact that the above mentioned films lack. The Astroboy character is flawlessly realised and I really appreciate that the CG animation does not compromise original visual concept by adding excessive detail or effects. The look is clean and simple like a high end hand drawn cartoon. The surround sound effects and LFE are top notch and there is a very catchy main theme. My kids love it, especially the girl 5 who keeps asking for it. (and also want to have rocket boots like Astroboy ,,,,,who doesn't!!!) I have sat through it twice now without complaint. (well actually first time round I thought that nick cage was a bad choice for voice acting because his voice is so distinctive that it is hard to associate it to anything else but nick cage's face. But second viewing I didn't have a problem with it at all so I think it was just a psychological thing.
anyway great film. I hope there is a sequel.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm a Real Boy, 11 April 2011
This review is from: Astro Boy - Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD) (Blu-ray)
Straight from the off let me tell you that I have no investment in the concept of `Astroboy'. I'm vaguely aware that it is a classic Anime, but my lack of knowledge means that the new CGI version of the film could be as sliced, diced and bastardised as only a Hollywood filmmaker could dream of achieving. With its Day-Glo colour palette and kid friendly look, I thought `Astroboy' was going to be another also-ran from the animated churn factory. However, the feel of the film is anything but kid friendly and instead this movie is average not for being too similar to other films, but for being too different.

`Astroboy' follows the early life of android Astro who was formed in the image of Dr Tenma's dead child. The first part of the film portrays the death of said child and is not easy viewing, although you don't actually see anything. The film has a lot in common with Spielberg's `AI' and is about grief and abandonment. These concepts actually feature more often in animation than you would think, but here they are very dark. There are moments of lightness in the film with some characters included just for comedic value, the Robot fighting for freedom being one. However, the vast majority of the film has a tone that is not in keeping with the brightness of the animation.

Proving a challenging watch is not a criticism in its own right as I believe the best kid's movies have a dark edge (Time Bandits), but here the tone is flat, as well as dark. Nicholas Cage is catatonic at the best of times, but as Dr Tenma he sounds like they have reanimated his corpse for one day of voice recording. The same could be said of Bill Nighy and Freddie Highmore. It is only the likes of Matt Lucas who bring energy to the voice work. The lack of passion in the acting means that the film feels incredibly drab at times, which is a shame as the animation, especially on BluRay, looks fantastic. With its dark tones and interesting ideas `Astroboy' is a curious watch that will be enjoyable for adults looking for something a little odd, but not for the core audience of children.

5.0 out of 5 stars An adventure worth blasting off to!, 18 Jun 2011
This review is from: Astro Boy [DVD] (DVD)
I have to say I had my doubts about this film, especially because it wasn't done by a company I know well like Pixar or Dreamworks but I have to say it was really good!
I don't really know the story of Astro Boy but after looking at the special features included I realised how faithful they tried to keep to the storyline.
One of my rules is if an animated film makes you laugh or cry then it's good and there are definitely moments that crack you up and moments that make you reach for a tissue.
I don't think it reaches the standards that Dreamworks and Pixar are setting but it's definitely up there close to them. Some people seem to think the actors aren't up to scratch but I disagree. Everyone plays their part well and most of them have done animated films before so they know what to expect. At the end of the day a children's film is meant to keep them entertained. I'm 18 and I was entertained!

Don't hesitate to buy it, every penny is worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, 18 Jun 2010
Free Spirit "shilo115" (North Wales, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Astro Boy [DVD] (DVD)
As soon as I discovered that astro boy had pistols in his butt I knew that it would appeal to my sons age 11 and 9 and I wasn't wrong.

The story runs along nicely and the animation is good. What more can I say, my boys and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a chance !, 1 Jun 2010
mummy spoon (South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Astro Boy [DVD] (DVD)
I can't believe this is the first review of astroboy, it seems to have been forgotten about in the tidal wave of other animated and family movies released this year and I'm not sure why as me and my two boys loved it .
As a family we buy alot of Dvd's family ones in particular so I have seen the great ones and the terrible ones and this is definately up there near the top.
The film starts off by introducing us to a floating chunk of the earth called Metro City just above the earths surface which has now become a scrap yard for broken robots and other junk .
In Metro city ,Scientist Dr Tenma creates Astroboy to replace his lost son Toby but the robot boy has a much bigger calling.
I don't want to give the whole story away as I watched it not really knowing what it was about so I'll leave it there but I will say , the animation and story are great, and it's been a big hit with my boys who are aged 6 and 7.
There are quite a few extra's on the Dvd aswell, including four short documentary's and two extra scenes. (not deleted scenes)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but could have been great!!!!, 14 Aug 2011
Mr. L. Gurney "Film Crazy" (Twydall, Kent UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Astro Boy - Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD) (Blu-ray)
I think I say it for everybody who has seen the anime of Astroboy when I say that, yes the digital version of Astro is good but the old one is best. Saying that I do have an open mind and I enjoyed this movie thoroughly. Plus the added bonus of the DVD with the Bluray. If you are new to Astro then this is a great movie, but if you are like myself then this in my opinion is a good film that is done extremely well.

4.0 out of 5 stars One for the youngsters, 6 Jun 2010
Fraser the Frank Fish "paul m" (Benfleet) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Astro Boy [DVD] (DVD)
A scientist creates a robot replacement for his son, Toby, who is killed when an evil politician meddles with his experiments for militaristic purposes but soon realises that the reminder is more powerful than he can bare.

The evil guys pursue the robot Toby, forcing him off of Metro City, a city in the air, onto the surface where he meets a shady Fagin-like character, bunch of orphaned kids and the Robot Revolutionary Front.

Plotwise it's your standard good v evil plot with a bit of Oliver Twist thrown in. Unlike many of the other recent animated features, Astro Boy is really just for the kids and doesn't have the layering of a Shrek or Toy Story which allows them to appeal to adults as well with quick wit and irony.

Nevertheless, a good entertaining film for junior school aged kids (say 7 to 11 year olds). Younger kids may be upset with the death of the boy and some of the violence, while anyone over 12 will probably find it a bit "lame".

5.0 out of 5 stars Astro Boy, 9 Sep 2010
This review is from: Astro Boy - Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD) (Blu-ray)
Never heard of it until my 3 year old grandson said about it, brilliant, and all my grandchildren especially the 2 year old love it, highly recommended for young children and adults.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than cinema figures might suggest, 17 Jun 2010
This review is from: Astro Boy [DVD] (DVD)
I've no previous experience of Astro Boy so the character was totally new to me - couldn't comment on how exisitng fans would feel about the movie.

It was clearly a kids movie and in that respect the action, humour and plot were well aimed.

Will keep most children under 12 well entertained.

ARRAY(0xab9e366c)

Astro Boy - Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD)
Astro Boy - Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD) by John Ottman (Blu-ray - 2010)
4.75