4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, though dark
"The Pogles" first entered my life when my parents introduced them to me as a young child. They had watched it in their youth, and showed me an episode of "Pogle's Wood" on a VHS of "Watch With Mother", where this show originally aired.

Published on 26 Feb 2011 by Andrew Norris

3.0 out of 5 stars Original
This is a very old original copy. I do not remember it from my viewings. Thought the witch etc rather scary for small children. Afficionados only.
Published 9 months ago by MARGARET RITCHIE

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, though dark, 26 Feb 2011
Andrew Norris (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pogles (DVD)

This, the original series, is very different from its successor, "Pogle's Wood". This series is less centred on country life and more on magic, fairies, and a wicked witch. The overall story arc of the series made the show seem rather dark, and a little frightening for my younger brother, but its saving grace were the two main characters - the dim-but-lovable Mr. Pogle, and his fiesty wife, Mrs. Pogle, who was not afraid to say "bad, thieving hag" on children's television in an age when "hag" was almost a swear word!

This is a thoroughly enjoyable series, but please do not judge it too harshly - Oliver Postgate himself once stated that he felt the series was too dark, so if you find this too grim, then please don't be upset, for the much lighter "Pogle's Wood" is just around the corner!

4.0 out of 5 stars Do not show this to your children, 15 Oct 2013
Victoria Clare (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pogles (DVD)
I watched this in a group of adults. We all started watching very jolly, thinking, ho ho, let us see what this was that was too scary in 1965??

Some time later, we were all a lot quieter and a lot more respectful of those resilient 1960's kids who watched this and apparently toughed it out? It really is dark, with some disturbing echoes (the boot that kicks down the door with the family cowering within, the way the witch traps people in a cage, the way things get worse and worse over a series of episodes).

Oliver Postgate was right: this is too dark for kids. It's quite interesting viewing, full of angst and drama.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pogles, 8 May 2013
This review is from: The Pogles (DVD)
What a delight to be able to watch this wonderful again. It should be showmen again for the children of today, they could learn a lot about morals from the Pogles.

3.0 out of 5 stars Original, 24 Oct 2013

The Pogles
The Pogles by Oliver Postgate (DVD)
16.98