Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 6 November 2000
This book is perfect for anybody wishing to attain a very detail knowledge of LAN Switching from a Cisco point of view. It covers Spanning Tree in great detail which no other book I have ever read has done and it also covers subjects in such a way that you can take this knowledge straight into the field. It also covers VLAN's, VTP, Truncking and ATM - I don't think it misses anything out. I am currently taking my CCIE and would recommend this book to anyone wishing to get the same accreditation. The best Cisco Press book I have ever worked with..
VINE VOICEon 24 February 2005
I usually say that no one book can be the end-all be-all. Well I am never wrong; but I in this case might not be all that right. This book covers questions that I did not know I had. And if you say this is not for beginners, then where would you begin? The diagrams are clear and plentiful. Every acronym is defined. In the end this book is a more of not how to kick it, but where to kick. The section that I used to apply is on "Campus Design Implementation."

Sections:
Foundational Issues - basics of switched networking
Spanning Tree - advanced spanning tree configurations
Trunking - LANE, and ATM
Advanced Features - Layer 3 switching, VTP and multicast services
Real-World Campus Design and Implementation - variety of network designs
Catalyst 6000 Technology - coverage of Catalyst 6500's
Appendix - Answers to end of chapterexercises

If you would like a preview before buying the real thing there is an excerpts book ISBN 1-58720-008-2 that lets you see more of the content.Enterprise campus design folio: Excerpts from the Cisco Press Book, Cisco LAN switching
on 6 April 2013
This book is in need for an update to cover the new switching platforms, one might argue that Cisco LAN Switching Fundamentals (ISBN-10: 1587050897 | ISBN-13: 978-1587050893) offers that kind of update since it takes in consideration the newer Catalyst platforms. The book is brilliantly written, I can go as far as saying that they don't write books like this anymore, the technical details are top notch as you would expect, but you feel that the authors are talking to you and sharing their experience. This is a fun read and no matter what level you are at in your career, this book will cement your switching knowledge.
on 8 June 2000
Very good book you should order if you want very DETAILED information on these subjects : SPANNING TREE (150 pages!), VLan use for load balancing, trunking, layer 3 switching with catalyst (off course it is cisco :) )and application to real world design campus (and this is only the principals...). If you only wants a simple quick overview on these subject, search another book! There is nice review and exercice at the end of chapters and tips for configuring material.
on 8 November 2002
What a marvellous book. How is it possible to put such an highly technical subject across in such an enjoyable and enthusiastic (and yet still technical) way ? I don't know; kennedy/clarke know though ! The book is stuffed full of everything you could ever want to know about LAN switching. It is my switching bible and if ever I get worried about a switching related matter then out comes this book - the answer is always in there.
on 27 February 2000
An excellent book, covering the full spectrum of current LAN technologies and design theory. This book has one of the best treatments of Spanning Tree I've read. The book is well organised and the authors' style makes it an easy and even enjoyable book to read.
on 2 November 2001
All I can say is that my jaw was open the whole time I read this book due to the sheer amount of quality information in this book and the way it is presented. If you work with catalysts BUY this book. This is the spanning tree bible.