5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect setting, perfect concert.
Published on 6 Jun 2005 by J. A. Shepherd

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality
I was a little disappointed with the quality of the picture, but Carly Simon is at her best in this concert.
Published 8 months ago by S. E. Lester

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect setting, perfect concert., 6 Jun 2005
J. A. Shepherd "jilicious" (Preston, Lancashire) - See all my reviews
I completely agree with the previous reviewer. I too had it on VHS until it wore out and am desperate to get hold of it on region 2 DVD! It's an excellent concert, the surroundings are magical and Carly performs like a dream. I envy the people who were actually there to see it! I loved the end of the evening where her own children got on the stage to sing with her - lovely touch. Please please release it for Carly's fans in Europe!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great concert - Can we have it in Europe, please!, 21 May 2005
This is a tremendous concert covering a range of Carly's greatest hits, performed in the open air to a small group of spectators and friends. I owned it on video - till it wore out! -and would love to see it released on DVD in Europe. Am I the only one?

5.0 out of 5 stars How To Make A Successful Film Of A Concert?, 23 Sep 2005
Panic "Idiot's Guide" (Eastbourne, East Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The answer? Move your concert outdoors to a beautiful location, bathe it in fading daylight , dress your first-class musicians in Ralph Lauren, and put them in in front of a casually arranged 'picnic' of families. The end result is visually and musically stunning but without the need for camera tricks or distractions.
I saw this concert when it was first broadcast in the 80's and it has not dated at all, Carly Simon's songs and style are as fresh now as then. This was almost certainly the first time that a concert video spawned a best-selling album, and the reason is clear; the feelgood atmosphere generated by Ms Simon and her expertly assembled band of supporting singers and musicians infuses all aspects of this film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carly Simon - Region free in glorious NTSC., 8 Jun 2010
This review is from: Carly Simon - Live From Martha's Vineyard (US Import) [DVD] [2010] [NTSC] (DVD)
Here it is then. The 2009 edition of the previously hard-to-get-your-hands-on-concert... And it's a DVD this time. Live from Martha's Vineyard.

Many who appreciate Carly Simon's songs and voice own a worn out VHS of this particular concert and I'm no exception.

Filmed back in the "Video Era" (1987) and in NTSC format, you're sure to get a picture quality that is only second class, but Carly's voice is first class. Even if image quality isn't excellent, it doesn't affect sound quality and certainly not Carly's performance. She looks happy and lovely.

Good news for european customers may be that most TV sets and DVD players will be able to handle the NTSC format, so you will most probably have no playback trouble with this edition since it's also REGION FREE even if it's sold as REGION 1. At least my copy was, look at the uploaded images of the DVD's back cover.

However, I can leave no guarantees what-so-ever since I have a multi region DVD player, so would not notice any difference.

Strong points: Carly, Carly's voice, the songs and the intimate feeling of this outdoor concert with a relatively small audience at the sea side. It's like a family gathering.

The baddies: Mainly the 80's style clothing she wears in the beginning. Look at those padded shoulders! And with those trousers, I mean, she looks like the third man in Miami Vice! To some extent also video tape image quality and 80's choreography, which certainly left room for improvement.

Luckily, she soon removes the Miami Vice horror clothes and looks like a woman in a dress for the rest of the show. Pheew!

5.0 out of 5 stars A feel good DVD, 12 Sep 2010
Mr. M. Ward "mntward" (london, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a really nice DVD, it has a real "feel good" atmosphere, you don't even have to like Carly Simon that much too enjoy it, though that helps of course. But why is it not Region Free so everyone can enjoy it?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 26 Aug 2010
Andrew Frost (Hartlepool, UK) - See all my reviews
I recorded this concert onto VHS tape from the BBC show way back in 1987 !!! Have been wanting to have the DVD version but the ones available until now were really expensive and only region 1.

Saw this was available and bought it from an Amazon supplier in the USA. It arrived within three weeks. Popped it into my Sony Blu Ray player, pumped up the surround sound system and, wow, it was just like being there. Granted the picture quality is not much better than the VHS (a bit grainy) even with upscaling, but the sound was fabulous.

Yes, it is an All Regions DVD. It played on my Region 2 Sony. Watch out that your player can handle NTSC.

The extras are also good and essential viewing for avid Carly fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 30 Sep 2013
I recorded this on VHS from the tv years ago and have been looking for a copy on DVD for a long time. I am delighted with my purchase, it arrived promptly and was well packaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't own it - you should, 15 Sep 2013
Like everyone else, I'd worn the video out. My wife ordered a copy on dvd for last Christmas from Amazon .com but it was lost in the post, I saw it on line at Amazon .co.uk a few weeks ago, ordered it, it arrived within 3 days (what service) and have watched it 4 times since then. 3 of my young grandchildren watched it with me and they thought it was fantastic, that's the next generation sorted. If you like Carly Simon this is a must own dvd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great video, 17 Jun 2012
This is a great video of great music, I only stumbled across it by accident, but I'm glad I did. I wondered about the video format in this country, but it works fine in the UK. Maybe more should be explained to reassure others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Martha's Vineyard - great vintage, 19 May 2012
I originally recorded this on VHS when it was broadcast on TV in the 1980s and I waited for years for it to come out in another format. And here it is. Great sound, good picture quality and it's Carly.

If you are a Carly Simon fan you will like this. I only hope that a DVD of her concert at Grand Central will be released (I have it on VHS).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›