on 31 August 2011
Having wanted a home planetarium for several years, but struggled to justify the cost of the more expensive imported Sega items and been continually disappointed by the quality of entry level offerings, I was pleased to stumble across a product at a reasonable price from a company with a history in optics.

The planetarium is actually manufactured by Meade and sold under license by several other brands.

It comes with two discs, one with marked constellations, the other a more generic star field.

The product itself is well made and sturdy, whilst sold as a Junior item, it does not look out of place in my bedroom, projecting the night sky onto the ceiling as I drift off to sleep.

Even with the motor running in rotate mode, it is near silent.

Highly recommended, perfectly complemented by Brian Eno's Apollo album.
on 10 January 2012
I ordered this for my daughter for Christmas expecting a half decent represenation of the stars. The projection was clear and the shooting star effect was ok. It was the quality of the product that was not really good enough. The turning action got stuck and jolted which ruined the tranquil effect it should give when dazing up at the night sky. It also has a very light plastic feel to it which was also disappointing. After reading reviews on the National geogrpahic Planatarium being very poor I thought it was worth spending the money on this one but I have now sent it back and Amazon as always has been very accomodating with a perfect service. I think you have to spend a min of £100 on a planatarium if you are wanting a solid good representation of the stars.
on 16 January 2012
For the money, this is an extremely poor product. As a previous reviewer mentioned, the construction has a light, cheap plastic feel about it. It is also easy to get perfect focus across the entire projected image. It would be pretty easy to overlook these problems except for one major flaw with the product - the constellations are wrong! The one thing this product is designed to do is educate us about the shape and name of the 88 constellations in the sky and IT FAILS MISERABLY - it would be funny if this product were not so expensive! Seriously, they have misspelt Andromeda and Camelopardalis. In addition, Andromeda is incorrectly shaped as is Ursa Major, the most well known constellation in the Northern Skies. In fact, most constellations (except the most simple) are wrong in some way. There cannot be an excuse for this - the designers only need look on the internet for 20 minutes to discover just how wrong they got it! Don't waste your money, almost any other planetarium is likely to be better.
on 28 August 2014
I was looking for a planetarium for my 4 yr old sons room. I had a look at some of the cheaper ones before settling on this one. I was a bit unsure of this one due to some of the reviews about how good this one was, but it seemed to be the best one for under £100.

Now that I have it, and have used it a few times, I can say that it is really good. The image is bright and in focus on the bedroom ceiling (I have it on a bedside table, with about 2 metres to the roof). The shooting star effect isn't as good as the product image shows, but it is still good, and my son loved it (I have added some of my own images). The timer on it is a really good feature as I can leave it on, knowing that it will go off when my son is asleep.

The date and time controls are good to have as you can set it to match the sky at your location. They are a bit tricky to work out at first, but once it's set, you don't really need to change it unless you want to set a different date and time for every viewing.

As to the build quality - I can't find any fault. The plastic case does seem to be made of plastic that feels like it would break if it were dropped, but other than than that, the controls and the disc tray feel well put together. I suppose if you're buying it for a child, then you would need to trust that they won't play around with it and risk dropping it.

The only criticism I can find, and the reason it's not 5 stars, is that it doesn't have a mains adapter. But I suppose having batteries allows it to be used anywhere.
review image review image review image review image
on 8 January 2014
Needed a cheap and reliable way to teach my scouts about the stars so they
could get their astronomy badge. Was everything I needed and didn't have to
rely on clear night skys. Also helps settle folk down on sleepovers as a night light
on 11 January 2013
Cheap looking plastic, it had already been opened by a previous purchaser, the projected image was blurred despite trying to focus it, there were far to many blurred stars on the projection and i have subsequently returned the item over 2 weeks ago and have heard nothing. Please chase this up for me.

Regards