Size: 5x30|Change

on 10 January 2012
This is a very good Monocular the quality is very good and the 30mm diameter lens lets in a good amount of light to ensure that a good image of the subject is visible.
I have also a small quality monocular (10 x 25) but the Opticron is superior in every way. The only down side is that this monocular is a little heavy but is robust and waterproof.
I always carry in the glovebox of my car and take it with me on walks, holidays, golfing trips etc.
I prefer a monocular to binoculars as there is no fiddling to get the pitch set right for your eyes and adjustments for weaker / stronger eyes etc.
Also a monocular is half the weight. There is an LE version but this is for those who need a long eye relief (Extented rubber on eye piece) for use with spectacles.
Good build quality / Good Optics / Will last a lifetime if properly cared for.
on 19 February 2012
Having eyes with marked differences in performance I found binoculars a real 'fiddle', and then getting them adjusted so that both barrels were exactly the right distance apart took time and was irritating.
This monocular is perfect, I simply raise it to my best eye and all the fiddle is gone. The performance, especially light gathering, is excellent. It is also less than half the weight and size of the equivelant binocular. I wonder why I ever bothered with binculars.
The only limitation one might wish to be aware of is the minimum focus distance of about 5 metres.
The fact that it is also waterproof and very rubust takes a lot of the worry about using it in trying conditions away.
I make these comments on the basis of 6 months regular use.
on 31 March 2015
As soon as you pick this up it feels reassuringly solid. The rubber armouring doesn't feel like it's going to start squidging loose and sliding around with use. There's also evidently a substantial amount of glass in there as it's around the sort of weight you'd expect for a decent quality optic. In the hand it is very easy to grip with the contoured slots for your fingers and is totally ambidextrous to use. It's possible that it might feel chubby if you have very small hands but it's about the same diameter as any pair of roof prism binoculars.

I'm comparing the optics with a pair of Opticron Verano BGA 8 x 42 binoculars. The binoculars should easily out perform the monocular in terms of light gathering and brightness of image so I'm prepared to be forgiving. The magnification is identical to that of the binoculars and the field of view is slightly wider at a very respectable 7.5° which makes it a useful spotting device. The details don't pop quite as well as with the bins but they are by no means washed out.

Contrast is surprisingly good. The image is crisp and sharp and there is a small amount of barely noticeable pincushion distortion. Chromatic aberration is minimal and you simply won't notice any, in fact for an optic in this price range it's fantastic. Even allowing for the fact that this would be around £180 if it were a pair of binoculars it just goes to show what you get for being prepared to hold out for a few extra pounds. There is a slight loss of sharpness towards the edge of the very wide field of view, but the sweet spot is impressively large and very sharp. The main thing I lose out on by using this instead of the binoculars is light gathering. There's no substitute for a wider tube and at 30mm compared to 42mm that's about half the area. Throw in the BGA glass and I'll be using the bins in the field as my serious eyepiece, especially in low light.

So why even buy this? The answer is simple. It's so compact. I can drop this into a jacket pocket or a crossbar bag on my bike and carry it with me everywhere. It's not going to smash to pieces in my pocket and it'll take the knocks. One thing Opticron does is make equipment that can take some serious punishment. This will survive being dropped, dunked in puddles, clattered against tree stumps and so on. I've had the bins for about three years now and apart from being respectably grubby they are immaculate and they are used a lot. This feels just as well built and I have total confidence in them being waterproof and likely to hold up in the field. Compared to the frankly shoddy monoculars I've looked at at about half the price that feel like toys, this is the one to get if you plan on using it.

Focus is done by rotating the eyepiece. This is easily done with the thumb. The rotation is smooth and well damped without being stiff. This makes it genuinely useable with one hand.

In summary, the optical performance is better than you'd expect for the price, you get a bright, clear image with good contrast and solid build quality that you can slip into a pocket. Strongly recommended.
on 2 July 2013
I have never paid more than £25 for a Monocular before but I can honestly say that this item is mile apart. The image is pin sharp, even at great distance and the ridge along the top helps you hold it steady
on 7 February 2014
The build quality is very good. Seems to be as sturdy as it gets. The objective lens cap is held by a piece of rubber so it won't get lost. The eyepiece cover is removable.
It's not small or light for a 8x32 monocular, but still very portable.
Optically, I can only compare this to old Russian Tento binoculars. It has much better colour fidelity than those, does not change the colours noticeably. The flare resistance is only slightly better, not very good, but usually not a problem. Chromatic aberration is quite bad, worse than the Russian binoculars. It's very noticeable when observing in a snowy landscape or against a white sky. I don't see a difference in sharpness, I feel that it's not bad, but could be better.

Overall, I recommend this if sturdiness is important for you and you are not bothered by chromatic aberration. It's definitely a good monocular to take with you for any kind of touring.

update: Today I had the opportunity to try a low-end binocular against this monocular. Compared to that, the picture is way-way better. The field of view is much larger, and the contrast of the image is much better. (Probably thanks to the anti-reflection coating.)
on 25 October 2012
After much research into many different brands and sizes of monocular, I opted for the Opticron 8x30. This was a present for my wife and seems to have been a perfect choice. It is well made, waterproof and although it is not a strong magnification, it is bright and physically it small enough to carry anywhere. Definitely recommended.
on 17 November 2013
Solidly constructed, good size image and brightness. Main thing, compared with binoculars, is the compact size and lower weight. Not much is lost in having a non-stereo image as it is so bright. I would recommend. Only four stars? Yes - things can always be improved and I can't bring myself to endorse the phrase 'I love it', as suggested by Amazon. Too transatlantic for an Old Timer!
on 5 November 2012
Clear lenses with no distortion , the protective lens cap on the front lens can be a bit fiddly to refit with cold fingers , it,s a bit bulky compared to other monoculars but thats nothing when taking the quality of the lenses into consideration , a good buy , you won,t be dissapointed.
on 28 December 2014
A good, compact size- lives in the glove box of my car. Lens caps are a touch difficult to get on but that means they won't get lost. Nice rubberised feel to the body affords a good grip. The adjustor ring for focus is pretty tight- perhaps too tight as you want to make your adjustments whilst you're looking through the monocular - I don't find it possible to do one handed, so this is a big negative for the product. Vision up to twenty metres is pretty good clarity, but over this distance this product fails to give a satisfactory magnification.
on 15 April 2014
I have some binoculars but wanted something of reasonable quality that I could put in my pocket. I also have one eye much worse than the other and nearly all binoculars don't allow me to focus both eyes 100%. This monocular has a nice solid feel to it and is very comfortable to hold with the rubberised grip. The lens end has a tight fitting rubber cap that is permanently attached so can't be lost - really useful. The other end has a lift off cap that could be tighter so I am having to be careful that I don't lose it, I may try to permanently attach it somehow. The eye cup comes up as you twist it and the grooved ring in front is for focussing. As far as optical quality goes it is very sharp with no colour aberrations that I can see. It also has a reasonable case and neck strap. All in all I am very pleased with it and for the money was a great purchase.