4.0 out of 5 stars Forget Leona,JLS,Alexandra
Published on 12 May 2010 by Mr. Russell C. Witheyman

2.0 out of 5 stars I had high expectations
Published on 6 July 2010 by roafy80

4.0 out of 5 stars Forget Leona,JLS,Alexandra, 12 May 2010
I'm not normally into the X-Factor contestant albums. Its' very much a show that is highly watchable as a TV programme but musically it ends up giving us mostly very average forgettable artists. The exception being Leona - who although hugely talented has suffered from releasing largely forgettable music (except bleeding love of course) JLS have done well chart wise but muscially again have released some pretty forgettable pop music as has alexandra burke. So along now comes Diana Vickers who was in the x factor 2008 along with JLS and Alexandra. Vickers was widly thought to release music pretty quickly after the show ended but instead decided to take her time in making a great album she was happy with along with starring in a west end show. It's a decision that has largely paid off as she has crafted a very accomplished pop album working alongside writers/producers like Cathy dennis (Kylie), Ellie Goulding and Guy Sigsworth (Madonna,Frou frou) The album is very much in the tone/style of Ellie Gouldings album which is no surprise as she co-writes 1 track on here. If you like the single "Once' then you know what style the album is in but it does deviate a couple of times into ballad and folk/Indie terratory.

The first few tracks are all excellent from Once to The Boy Who Murded Love etc the album sags in the middle a little with a couple of forgettable tracks like me and you which is the albums low point. The last half though is the strongest in my opinion. Tracks like "Numb" a stomping catchy ballad is the sort of song Leona would kill simon cowell for..probably a future single "My Hip" is a catchy electro pop number kylie wouldnt turn down. "Notice me" is also a really nice strong ballad but the albums highlight is the last track, the amazing "Chasing You" which is worth the price of the album alone !

I can't recommend this album enough and this is coming from someone who normally hates x factor artists. The show has at leastfound a real gem in Diana vickers

9/10

2.0 out of 5 stars I had high expectations, 6 July 2010
This review is from: Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree (Audio CD)
I hadnt really seen the XFactor, So I thought when I heard her live lounge session on Radio 1 Big weekend, I thought she'd be more Indie/Rock Chick. It was a lot more poppy than I expected. If you like the song "Once" a lot then I think you'll really like it. There were a couple of songs that I didnt mind. Overall not really my bag. Unique & beautiful voice but think would be better for a good song writer behind her.

4.0 out of 5 stars "The Claw" done good- really good., 2 May 2010
This review is from: Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree (Audio CD)
Like many millions of people, I watch the x factor every year. I swear I won't as nothing much comes of it really I believe, but inevitably I get sucked in- it's so hard to avoid..

Apart from Leona Lewis, I feel little in the way of long term talent has ever been found - and I'm even disillusioned with her now - she may have the raw talent (the voice) but she hasn't had the material yet (apart from Bleeding Love and Run).

So, I have to say Diana Vickers has taken me by surprise and I suspect a lot of other people who had forgotten her... and it is a refreshingly pleasant one at that...

I liked her voice initially during the x factor- it is so unique- but I kinda tired of her during the show- I recall her being sick and off form for many weeks. Then it felt like she was looking for the sympathy vote and stuff... she did get a hard time though- with the whole claw and marmite stuff... so it is testament to her strength of character that now well over a year and half later, she delivers a cracking debut album she should be proud of.

When I heard ONCE last month - I was intrigued but not sold yet... it is an insanely catchy pop tune- the way good pop always is, short, snappy- with a chorus that gets engrained in your brain for hours... and it was perfect choice for lead single- a real edgy, rocking number.

But I found on Youtube some other songs that made me go out and buy the album yesterday... and I haven't been disappointed..

The Boy Who Murdered Love - has to be next single- another great pop song- less rocky than Once, but it too boasts a fabulous chorus that won't leave you...

Put It back Together Again- written by the hugely talent but sadly underrated Nerina Pallot (check out her latest - The Graduate)... a rousing indie style ballad that you expect from Diana after the X factor- a great song, uplifting

My Hip- another single in the wings, I suspect- very catchy and the trumpet is a nice touch

Hit- a bjork cover? I wouldn't have thought, but it works well, the song itself sounds familiar to me, but I think Diana has put her own stamp squarely on it- with a more electro sound- another short, catchy song.

You'll Never Get To Heaven- a really dancey song- I know some don't like the fact she has dabbled so heavily with an electro - pop sound, she always seemed like an indie chick at heart on the x factor, but songs like this are so well crafted and catchy, I'm glad she went this direction.

Remake Me and You- another potential single, a really catchy song, her voice sounds amazing here...

Me and You- a lilting, feel good song, very simple, stripped back- a nice change amongst all the electronic stuff. Songs like this (and Notice) allow her show off her unique voice a lot more than the other really uptempo, catchy tracks

Numb- the biggest ballad on the album, very soothing- the fact she hasn't overdone it with ballads on the album really allows a track like this shine...

Jumping into Rivers- one of those songs that caught my eye on youtube, very summery, a real jaunty, toe-tapping number

Chasing You- a slow burner to end the album, very atmospheric and gentle

(I wish the Mark Owen penned Sunlight had made the album, it's a great indie-rock type ballad that suits Diana so well.. I would search that one out if you like the album)

All things considered, this is a fine example of pop music done well-not bland and derivative- the edginess/ quirkiness that Diana always offered on the x factor has translated to her music now.. it really shows how well spent her time was over the last year and half- she could so easily have made a covers album, an album of indie-lite songs that she thought people wanted from her after the x factor.. instead, she has searched out some fine pop tunes that really suit and allow that amazing voice of hers shine...

a job well done, and here's hoping she gets the success she deserves for all her hard graft... other x factor stars have enjoyed so much success and truthfully, they haven't delivered to the standard Diana has....

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely different to what you heard on the X Factor., 19 Jun 2010
This review is from: Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree (Audio CD)
This album shows what Diana can do when allowed to produce her own music and isn't constrained by what she had to sing in the X Factor. She has really found her confidence and has produced songs that really allow her quirky personality to show through. The album is far from the ordinary generic pop stuff that generally comes from talent contest participants as a last ditch attempt at fame before they disappear into obscurity. Diana has written the lyrics and music for many of these songs herself and My Hip where she plays the trumpet is one of the really fantastic songs where her wide ranging talent shows through.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Debut, 15 May 2010
SAM "Tel" (Leigh-on-Sea, Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree (Audio CD)
Bought this yesterday and haven't stopped playing it. The voice is unmistakable, and there are some great tracks here - in addition to 'Once' I particularly like 'The Boy Who Murdered Love' (the next single, surely?) and 'My Hip'. 'Jumping into Rivers' is also worth a mention because it's a real grower (in fact I heard this track being played in a shopping centre, and thought it had the uplifting feel of a lazy Summer's day, so I decided to check out the rest of the album). 'Four Leaf Clover' is probably the pick of the ballads, but they're all pretty good, with 'Chasing You' finishing the album on a high.

Well described as 'a collection of quirky songs', the album doesn't disappoint and seems to improve with each listen, keeping you entertained with a good mix of boppy electropop and slower atmospheric songs. Very pleasantly surprised - the cherry tree may be tainted but it's well worth a visit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hips, murder, rivers and clover!, 6 Jun 2010
Sam "kingathon" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree (Audio CD)
The title of this review alludes to all the subjects touched upon across the thirteen tracks of the debut album from Diana Vickers. Of course they all play a part in elaborate metaphors for the same old subjects covered by current pop artists, but at least she's gone to some effort to move away from generic lyrics! Before I proceed I have something to confess....when Diana was on The X Factor I was a fan and supporter, and therefore I was highly anticipating this album, hence my expectations were high, but it also meant I was determined to like it and like it I do! That said I can recognise that (unfortunately) this album does have its weak points which prevent me from awarding it top marks. Now I shall embark upon a track-by-track review:

1.Once-The dead catchy first single from Miss Vickers. This track is pop perfection in mu view and fully deserving of its number one spot in the charts. 10/10
2.Remake Me and You-Another upbeat electro number (very different from what I'm guessing her fans thought she would sing). For me this doesn't quite reach the heights of the first track, but that said I do enjoy it. 8/10
3.The Boy Who Murdered Love-This song sucks you in from the very first listen; in fact you could well be singing along by the last chorus of your first listen. 9/10
4.Four Leaf Clover-A definite grower. The first time I listened I found it bland, but now it is probably my favourite track on the entire album. A lovely ballad which show off some extremely delicate vocals. 10/10
5.Put It Back Together-This was written with the fantastically talented Nerina Pallot. Although this is not Nerina's finest work by some distance it certainly has a special quality! 8/10
6.You'll Never Get To Heaven-Although I do enjoy this track it could well be seen by many as filler with its midtempo groove. 7/10
7.Me & You-Diana herself has claimed that this is the type of song that she herself and probably her fans expected to hear her sing. She's not wrong. And furthermore I love it! I know many have criticised it, but I love it simplistic and understated melody. 9/10
8.My Hip-This is probably the finest uptempo track aside from 'Once'. It absolutely has to be released as a single with its saxophones and oh so catchy chorus! 10/10
9.N.U.M.B-In my opinion this track is where it hits it weakest point. The lyrics are clicheed (eg. N.U.M.B I feel empty) and the vocals slightly slurred. Not a fan! 4/10
10.Hit-A Bjork cover and again this is far from my favourite. In all honesty after listening to the album numerous times I could not sing a line from memory, which is unusual for me. 5/10
11.Notice-Unfortunately the weak patch is proved to be far from a temporary blip by this track in the album. This is another clicheed ballad and one the album really could have done without. 5/10
12.Jumping Into Rivers-Thankfully quality control is restored at this point. In fact the album doesn't just bounce back to life with a good track, it bounces back with a fantastic one! This is summer-simple as that. I love it. 10/10
13.Chasing You-A great way to round off the album-what more can I say! 8/10

So as you can see this is a superb album only let down by a few mediocre songs towards the end of the album!

5.0 out of 5 stars An eclectic collection, 7 April 2010
Mr. A. Farr - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree (Audio CD)
Now there's always the risk that I'm biased here, I've been an avid supporter of Diana's since the judge's houses of X-Factor way back in 2008 and the wait for this album was killed me, but I'm going to write a review anyway.

The album shows that if you take time you can produce a really good, original sound for yourself. It's common of X-Factor alums to quickly jump straight into recording what they think is their genre without really giving it much thought. Diana has confessed herself this is not the sort of album she originally thought she'd make but she experimented with her sound and worked with lots of different song writers and producers. The result is the interestingly titled 'Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree'.

1) Her debut single 'Once' opens the album, an electropop masterpiece written by Cathy Dennis and Eg White. It works well as a debut, smashing her back on the scene after a very long hiatus from the music industry (she took a break to take the lead role in the west end production of 'The Rise And Fall Of Little Voice', to rave reviews I must add!) and the accompanying video shows Diana for the superstar she is.

2) Next up is 'Remake Me And You' which seems to have divided her fans a little. Just like Diana herself the song is very marmite. It was written by Diana and Ellie Goulding and you can hear the latters influences clearly in the song. It's another electropop song and is very uptempo. Personally I think it's one of the best songs on the whole record but others have commented on it being their least favourite. Definately one to check out whether you're a fan of Vickers or not.

3) The title of the 3rd track got people very interested: 'The Boy Who Murdered Love' and before hearing it I expected it to be a haunting ballad of sorts but I was gravely mistaken. It's a uptempo with a wicked hook "Shot, shot, shot, shot, shot like a bullet. Stop, stop, stop, stop, stop oh you love it." Single material.

4) The first ballad the album presents, 'Four Leaf Clover' full of metaphores as Diana laments how an ex-love was her luck but now everything is just ordinary without him. Her seemingly fragile vocals present the song's vulnerability extremly well.

5) 'Put It Back Together Again'. This was penned by the very talented Nerina Pallot. It's a strangely motivational song that on the first few listens seem quite sad. When you think about what the lyrics mean though you understand it's about motivating yourself to repair and maintain a relationship. Not one of the best on the record but a good song.

6) 'You'll Never Get To Heaven' seems completely random, it's very different to the other songs on the disc and sounds like it would fit right in on an Owl City album. This isn't a bad thing, though. I actually find myself wanting to listen to it on repeat as it's very addictive. A pleasant bouncey song to drive along to.

7) 'Me & You' Diana says this is more how she originally imagined her album sounding. It's okay, nothing spectacular and is probably the weakest on the album (though it was grown on me a little so I may grow fonder of it in time). I found myself cringing at the lyrics "It's me and you, stuck like glue", we're not in primary school anymore! But the melody is nice.

8) 'My Hip' has the potential to be a killer single, a great hook, trumpets blaring (played by Diana herself) and a catchy melody that's near enough impossible to rid yourself of.

9) I'd describe 'N.U.M.B' as the big ballad of the album. This is where Diana prooves she does have a big voice and those that say she can't sing are very wrong. I've seen her perform this live and I was transfixed. The recorded version doesn't quite capture the magic of her singing it live, and her vocals lack something in comparison but it's still an amazing track and, along with 'Notice', is in competition to be the next single.

10) 'Hit' when I first heard this I was confused - is this really a Diana Vickers song? Not because it was bad, but because it was so different that what I personally imagined her doing. It's now one of my favourite tracks, she sounds scorned and conveys the message of the song believably.

11) 'Notice' shows Diana returning to a ballad, this is quite similar to 'Four Leaf Clover' if I'm honest and doesn't quite have the emotion that the earlier track conveys. It's quite a school-kid type of song about not being noticed by somebody you fancy. It works, and I enjoy playing it but I can't quite connect to it as well as the others which is bizarre as the message of the song should be so accessible.

12) This was 'leaked' in 2009 and later put as a free download on Diana's website. 'Jumping Into Rivers' has SUMMER written all over it and I love playing this while out on a hot day, or driving with the sun beaming. It always puts a smile on my face, probably because I associate it with summer and fun times.

13) 'Chasing You' closes the album and it's a case of best till last. I really love this song and I think in time it will be my most played of the album (that accolade currently belongs to 'The Boy Who Murdered Love').

All in all a top quality album. It may not live up to the highs of JLS's debut but it far exceeds their album in terms of quality so it's a shame she may not get the success she deserves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diana's new album = excellent!, 1 May 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree (Audio CD)
I pre-ordered the album in April 2010 and I got it 2 days before release. I've already listened to the album and remarks are....... PHENOMENAL!!! Diana's got a very quirky voice and oh my god she uses it in the album "Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree." Here are the song reviews with a score out of 5.

1. Once (5/5): This is the leading single and a brilliant one it is too. This is where Diana really uses her quirky voice and what a good 'un it is. She's very lucky to be given that gift.

2. Remake Me And You (4/5): Very Good song! Ellie Goulding (Who I don't like singing wise) wrote this song like some of Diana's other songs but she's a very good songwriter I have to say. Well Done Ellie!

3. The Boy Who Murdered Love (5/5): Love the lyrics, Very Catchy song, 4th best ON ALBUM. RELEASE AS A SINGLE!!!!!!!!

4. Four Leaf Clover (4/5): On the last 3 songs on the album, you would probably think Diana's a rock chick and that all her songs on the album are more Pop Rock. WRONG!!!!! This is the first ballad on the album which is a brill one as well.

5. Put It Back Together (3/5): Another Ballad!!! Diana, not another one? On the Amazon Site, it had and still has got a preview of all her songs (Check out what I just said after this review) and then I listened to this song. My first impressions were rubbish but it turned out that it was good after all and gave an impressive 3 out of 5.

6. You'll Never Get To Heaven (4/5): A very good song, very jolly, not very much to say, but Excellent!!! Oh and by the way, Diana uses her quirky voice in this one.

7. Me And You (3/5): An OK song, could be better but another good 'un

8. My Hip (6/5) I Know, a bit of the mathematics. That's how much I love it!!! My favourite song on the album. From here, this is where the album really gets going!!!!

9. N.U.M.B (5/5) This is the big ballad of the album. It's just an amazing song. Love it. I really appreciate it, you should too. That's another good song.

10. Hit (5/5) The music is a one where you can sing "Na Na Na Na Na" (if you really want to). A very short song but I don't care. Love the song.

11. Notice (4/5) See, Diana does a bit more ballads than you expected, and this one is too. Altogether, Pop Rock or Ballad, she's such an amazing singer and this is such a good song.

12. Jumping Into Rivers (5/5) Last of the pop rock songs I'm afraid folks, so make the most of it. On YouTube, I keep seeing videos that this will be a single of hers. We will have to watch this space and find out...

13. Chasing You (4.5/5) BOO HOO HOO It's the last track on the album. For the final track, ANOTHER BALLAD!!! But The best ending of an album.

So there you are, my review of Diana Vickers "Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree" Now go AND BUY THE ALBUM!!!!! Well done and thank you To Diana for giving us a master class album. The best I've bought in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a refreshing change - Diana Vickers is brilliant, 5 Jun 2010
This review is from: Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree (Audio CD)
I loved every song. They are new and refreshing. Diana Vickers voice with its strange twang gives this album a rare individuality. Once you have listened all the way through once - do it again - and again. You will soon be singing along. It is definately for Diana Vickers fans - if you dont like her strange sound then dont buy this album..shes like Marmite you will either love her or hate her. If you love her then buy it you wont regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Diana Vickers, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree (Audio CD)
What a great album this is. I love Diana's unique voice and such talent she has on this album. A must buy for Diana fans everwhere

Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree
Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree by Diana Vickers (Audio CD - 2010)