5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic stick for less than £30!
Published on 14 Jun 2010 by Carol Meek

3.0 out of 5 stars Not DVB-T2
I bought this to watch Freeview HD on my PC - sadly this is not HD compatible in the UK. It is not a DVB-T2 stick, which I didn't realise until I had tried it out. I should have read the manufacturer's webpage, where in small print it says not DVB-T2.
Apart from that it is great - although there seems to be no way to schedule a recording.
Published on 11 Sep 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic stick for less than £30!, 14 Jun 2010
Carol Meek (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AVerTV Volar HD A835 Pocket Sized Digital TV Tuner USB Stick (Accessory)
As a travelling sales person I've been looking for a quality DVB-T (Freeview) stick to use on my laptop as some hotels don't offer the full freeview selection. Having looked around for a while I came across the Avermedia brand and I have to say this is a great sub £30 stick. Very easy to use and setup and also this stick has a full RF conection so it allows me to use the dual pole antenna that comes supplied, and also my main antenna at home giving me excellent picture quality. Well done Avermedia for bringing this reliable little stick to market! Would highly recommend for home and travel use, and that's why I have given this five stars

3.0 out of 5 stars Not DVB-T2, 11 Sep 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but limited success on Linux, 27 Dec 2013
James Lever (Brighton & Hove, UK) - See all my reviews
ok, although this is called an HD tuner, its only HD in european countries who broadcast HD over DVB-T, in the UK we broadcast in HD using DVB-T2 so for the UK this isn't going to be HD.

I connected this to a synology NAS (busybox) which has DTV functions within its video station app (the AVerTV isn't on the official list, but is on the un-official list). It was less than £10 which I thought was worth a try. However for me this has had limited success which is likely to be due to the linux support/compatibility for this unit.

For me I don't appear to get the full range of channels, I'm assuming this is the device vs the driver(s). I've added a whole range of frequency channels to a scan file, but after waiting almost 30 minutes to scan I still don't have a full set of channels.

Those channels which work, appear to be fine, but its does appear to lock up the system occasionally requiring a reboot.

The unit is designed for windows, and appears to be good value for money - I assume windows will scan TV differently, so might function well. However for linux this probably isn't ideal.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not Work, 12 May 2012
Package arrived promptly with good packaging. Useful quick installation notes and a more comprehensive user guide included in soft version. So far so good. The only problem is that the product just does not work. Followed the installation to the letter; softare loaded fine but could not detect any signal through the hardware - even when connected to an external aerial that provides an excellent picture to our main home digital TV. Checked and re-checked set-up. Uninstalled and re-installed everything again - still nothing - signal quality not budging from zero%. The only other observation is that the USB stick gets very warm - even hot when connected. Tried USB 2 and USB3 - no luck. Very dissapointed. I thought price meant it was good value - maybe it is just cheap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 6 Aug 2011
Eirik (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Having used various tv cards over time, this little usb device is indeed very good. Simple to use, easy to scan and finds all channels (for me). Prospective purchasers should read the description fully, of this item, before making hasty comments. The manufacturers website has all the updated drivers and software needed. Good for Windows7 and Vista.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb,again, 19 Jun 2011
This is my second Avermedia stiick,the first on my win xp laptop,so purchased this for win7.And as with the first one,it is excellent.Im a long distance freight driver,and wherever I am, it does not let me down.Obviously in some areas the supplied ariel is useless and you need to connect to a more conventional antenna.All in all ten out of ten Avermedia.A superb product.

4.0 out of 5 stars AVerTV Volar HD A835 DVB-T Stick, 14 Jan 2011
D. R. Palmer (UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this as I wanted to be able to watch and record TV on my PC. I wanted a DVB-T stick that would be compatible with Windows 7 Media Centre. Very simple to install and get running. I attached a coax cable from my adjacent house arial socket to one end of stick, plugged other end into USB socket on my PC and immediately it automatically searched and found latest software driver. Once driver had installed itself, I opened Windows Media Centre where it recognised the stick and I could then get it to search for all the channels (over 100 found including radio channels). I didn't have to use any of AverMedia's software on supplied CD. Quality of picture is generally very good although some channels are a bit blocky where signal is weak (I live in a relatively weak signal area although I do have an arial booster). Please note that a remote control is not supplied. Overall, however, I am very pleased with this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Aver Media AVerTV Volar HD USB, 27 Nov 2011
C. S. Kirk (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I purchased this USB plug in TV unit because I had read a magazine "write-up" that praised it, and especially for the HD performance. I doubt that they had tested the HD in the UK because I found that mine can only receive Freeview DVB T (Digital Video Broadcasting Terrestrial), whereas in the UK the Freeview HD service is broadcast in DVB T2. In many parts of Europe HD is in DVB T but apparently not in the UK. It is supplied with a small high-gain aerial but I have not needed to use it as I have a loft aerial for my PC TVs.

The performance in standard definition is excellent, as with most AvarMedia TV units that I have purchased over some years (this is number four). I also have a now defunct AverMedia AVerTV USB2.0 mini cased external unit with a remote control that claims to be HDTV 1080i ready but in the five years or so since I bought it, the UK Freeview terrestrial HD system has been changed from DVB T to DVB T2, so that did not work on HD either. In general, these units work very well and will record SD programs to one's PC hard drive with a simple set up system. I would recommend it for someone not looking for HD because it is not expensive for what it can do and if you take your HD laptop abroad, it will work in HD in some countries.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear!, 22 Dec 2010
Was a present for a friend who wanted to watch TV whilst traveling. I had a similar thing when I went to uni and it was wonderful. This was the opposite. It took a while to load and it was quite an effort to do so. Once loaded I tried to scan but nothing came up. I live in a busy residential area but had no signal. I am guessing that it was just the Norfolk/Suffolk boarder area that was the problem rather than the device but I was not happy and neither was the recipient. Shame.

3.0 out of 5 stars Product description has not been translated to English properly, 15 Dec 2010
It would be nice if the supplier updated their product description on this page - it has not been translated to English properly, which leaves doubt in the mind of customers as to whether the product is genuine or not.