5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: For All We Know (Audio CD)
I bought this because I just love Jose James. But found I just loved his voice intertwined with Jeff neves wonderful lyrical piano plating - such a marvellous combination of talents and musicality. Thus is my very first review, that's how much I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 Oct 2014
This review is from: For All We Know (Audio CD)
Beautiful, lyrical, melancholic sound reminiscent of old time nightclubs form Hollywood's golden years.Loved it, so relaxing and laid back.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Bob's Last sessions!, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: For All We Know (Audio CD)
Another example of this Excellent musician's Artistry !
Lou Levy's accompaniment has developed over the years, whereas it tended to be a little
repetitive back in the 50's. He seems to have matured over the years.

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful voice but slightly dissapointed, 15 Jan 2012
This review is from: For All We Know (Audio CD)
I discovered The Dreamer last year and immediately bought Blackmagic on it's strength. And Blackmagic proved to be even better and I listen to it very often and it should be possible to award it 6 stars. José James' collaboration with the Belgian pianoplayer Jef Neve is slightly dissapointing. It is a nice set of standards and James' voice again sounds great, but the arrangements are too shallow, nothing special happens in the way they play together. And at least some special flavour should be added to songs that are recorded a zillion times before. For All we know is nice to listen to, but not much more, all in all it sounds a bit thin, with too many songs coming from the same 'division'. In my opinion it would have worked better if the album had had some uptempo songs as well. As it is, it is so indistinctive you have a constant urge to turn up the volume.

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant collaboration, 23 July 2011
Amillionmiles (Hove, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: For All We Know (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the strength of Jose James' previous two releases: the jazz orientated "The Dreamer" and the more uptempo neo soul sounding "Blackmagic". This CD "For All We Know" is much more mellow, consisting solely of Jose's sensual baritone vocals and Jef Neve's jazz piano. It has a very smooth jazz feel to it, meaning that you can relax, kick back and enjoy the experience with maybe a glass of wine and some candles.

All of the songs flow well together, and have very simple yet effective arrangements. There are no original songs, just cover versions of classic jazz songs by the likes of George Gershwin ("Embraceable You") and Duke Ellington ("Just Squeeze Me"). I think the album should be listened to as a whole as there are no particular highlights and no dull moments. It is just a continuous flow of pleasant delicate music and singing for lovers of jazz and easy listening.

For All We Know
For All We Know by Jef Neve (Audio CD - 2010)