5.0 out of 5 stars Macy Gray - The Sellout
On the first listen, I found this album disappointing when compared to her previous release, Big but I persevered with it because I had loved 'Big' so much. And I'm so pleased that I did!

Published on 16 July 2010 by E. Ward

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed!
I liked Macy in her early years much better than this recent effort, maybe 1 good song on the whole album. Do not recommend.
Published on 20 Jan 2011 by DeeGee

5.0 out of 5 stars Macy Gray - The Sellout, 16 July 2010
E. Ward "'emmagleb'" (Basingstoke, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sellout (Audio CD)

The tracks generally have a more optimistic feel to them, rather than Big's tendency towards the theatrical and melodrama. The songs are engaging without being overworked and showcase Macy's voice really well. My favourites are 'Kissed It', which is plunky, fun and flirty; and 'Real Love', which so smooth and sensual you can picture yourself happily slow dancing on a hot, sticky summer's night (well, I can anyway!). Other standout tracks are the two openers, current single 'Lately' and title-track 'the Sellout'. 'Lately' is a gorgeous, retro nod to old-style finger-snapping music and really helps set the scene for the following tracks. Personally, I would have made this the opener rather than 'The Sellout', which (besides having a great opening, which wouldn't have worked anywhere else on the CD) is a much slower track. That said, the overall composition of the album is flawless, with the end of the previous track complementing the into of the next; something that isn't achieved on many CDs.

This album is definitely a grower, and provides a fantastic stepping stone in Macy's long career. Highly recommended, even if you're new to her music, as she's such a talented singer she couldn't fail to impress. I'm already anxiously awaiting the next album!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Special Delivery, 26 Jun 2010
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Macy Gray's voice is an acquired taste which, until now, I will admit, I had
been, despite my best efforts, unable to acquire. I wanted to like her but there
was something in her tenuous ability to hold a tune which kept me on the
other side of the road looking on. (It could easily be argued that Mr Dylan has
spent the greater part of five decades trying to pin down a melodic line too
but it does not seem to have harmed his career!) 'The Sellout', then, comes
as a bit of a slap round the back of the legs for me. It is a revelation!!

I like it. I like it a lot. I really love it truth-be-told!

These dozen new tracks are filled with something quite extraordinary.
Ms Gray has mined a rich seam of new-found confidence and greater focus
in both her writing and her vocal performances. She has fire in her belly
and you can feel it. She's having fun too and because of that so do we.

Things kick off with a cracking number, title track 'The Sellout', a perfectly pretty
anthem full of warmth and solid soulful feeling. Ms Gray's voice has never
sounded better than this. A beautiful song by any standard known to man.

'Lately' is a delicious slice of incandescent pop which would have sounded
just at home in the eighties as now. A strong tune, a danceable beat and
a gritty vocal which lifts the whole arrangement up into the clouds.

Ms Gray is clearly in touch with her inner rock-chick on 'Kissed It'
(featuring messrs Slash, McKagan and Sorum of Velvet Revolver).
It clatters along with utter disregard for current taste and convention.
Mr Slash delivers a very tasty guitar solo. The whole thing's a hoot!

'Still Hurts' is a classy ballad full of sadness and regret.
It will touch a raw nerve in anyone who has known love and lost it.

The uncluttered arrangement of 'Let You Win' is relaxed, understated and utterly
charming. The melody is chock full of sunshine. A delightful composition, sassily sung.

'Stalker' is brief funky curiosity. The long shadow of the small-purple-one
can be felt lurking in the wings. I like to think he would be smiling.

Ms Gray sounds at her most vulnerable on closing track 'The Comeback'.
She reaches deep into the heart of the song and finds some kind of
fragile emotional valediction. It is her finest moment by a mile.
A world-class performance in fact.

If 'The Sellout' is indeed a sellout then she has done the right
thing and I'm buying it. It is her very best work to date.

Essential.

5.0 out of 5 stars Macie is great, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Sellout (Audio CD)
The voice is just so good that even her Xmas song sounds great. She cannot do much wrong with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its Macy - fantastic fun for the beautiful people!, 7 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Sellout (Audio CD)
It Macy - what else would you expect but fantastic!! Tons more fun than the last and will have you dancing all around the floor!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Her Music Like French Fries!, 27 Jun 2010
R. Mark Desjardins (Vancouver, B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sellout (Audio CD)
You don't know what you're missing till it's gone, case in point is Macy Gray being under the radar of late, but her new recording, The Sellout heralds the welcome return of a truly unique recording artist. Shedding her demons and forces that held her back, Gray did some serious wood shedding and has bounched back with a no holds barred personal statement that her fans have been waiting for.

"Lately", a subtle nod to The Four Tops, "Shake Me, Wake Me" (When It's Over), firmly plants Miss Macy back into the pop world, swaying as gently a palm tree. Lighting up a fire, Macy changes gears with "Kissed It" featuring Velvet Revolver.

The lyrics of "Beauty in The World" affirm Gray's positive outlook on life and speaks well of her uplifted frame of mind. "Help Me" reaffirms her need to be herself, "at least I ain't someone else. "You Win" speaks to those times lovers need to let go having control and give in. "Real Love" is a sensuous, smoking tour de force featuring Bobby Brown that is pure double dip choclolate delight.

"The Comeback" explores Macy's fears about not knowing where she is going, and not being pretty enough. Believe me, she knows full where she is heading and Miss Macy is more than beautiful in visage, spirit and mind. Welcome back. We missed you BIG!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed!, 20 Jan 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Macy Gray - The Sellout, 3 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Sellout (Audio CD)
I know most artists have their 15mins at the top and then gradually or suddenly fall, but this album makes it seem all the more unfair that Macy Gray gets such little attention from music lovers and the media these days. There are a couple of songs on this album that bore me, but the rest is good stuff, and better than most of the junk that graces the top 40 these days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Macy at her best, 12 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Sellout (Audio CD)
I had this as a birthday gift, and it is the best CD I have listened to in ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Album, 20 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Sellout (Audio CD)
This is the first Macy Gray album I have bought since I Try and it is absolutly amazing! I love every song on the album and haven't stopped listening to it! I would strongly recommend buying this!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums of 2010, 17 July 2010
L. Ferreira - See all my reviews
Dear Potential Purchaser/ Discerning Listener/ Jaded Fan,

Do yourself a favour and listen to "The Sellout". It will only take one listen before you sign up again to be on Team Macy!

Macy Gray is on top form and it's evident from the self-entitled opening track to the album's closer, "The Comeback". That's what's happened here, she's come back to reclaim her title as Crazy Neo-Soul Sister.

I admit that I have been a fan from the first time I heard her quirky vocals on the radio back in 1999 but I do think that along the way she did sellout in an attempt to hold onto the highs of "I Try" and "On How Life Is".

Stand-out tracks on The Sellout are littered all over the album but it depends on what you like? There's pop(Beauty In The World), rock (Kissed It), soul (Help Me) and hip-hop (Still Hurts) all masterfully mixed together to form one of Macy Gray's best efforts yet!

Go on! Click on the purchase button and proceed to "Check-out"!

The Sellout
The Sellout by Macy Gray (Audio CD - 2010)