4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, moving film, though a little soppy
Published on 2 April 2010 by Jennifer Malsingh

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
The story is a bid flat.
Published 19 days ago by Carmen urrutia

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, moving film, though a little soppy, 2 April 2010
Jennifer Malsingh (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Name is Khan [DVD] (DVD)
My Name is Khan is a moving, beautiful film about an Indian Muslim with aspergers who moves to America and falls in love. After 9/11, he and his Hindu partner's lives are completely changed and they suffer a terrible tragedy that threatens to destroy their relationship. Khan, because his aspergers has the tendency to make him literal and innocent, decides that he will try and speak with the president of the united states and let him know that not all muslims are terrorists. He begins a long and difficult journey to do so, and in doing so changes the lives of many people he meets.

This is a movie with a message. It's a beautiful, much needed message that is perfect for our current situation. Because of this, I think the parts of the movie that are a little soppy and over the top can be forgiven. This is a movie to make you feel good about mankind. It takes you right down to the bottom of the barrel to get there, but ultimately it wants to show you the loving side of humanity.

Shah Rukh Khan is on excellent form here. His portrayal of a man with aspergers is brilliant - neither comic or distasteful, I thought it was well played, and to my (untrained) eye it seemed quite realistic. The chemistry between him and Kajol is not as sizzling hot as in their previous movies, but that wouldn't be suitable for this delicate, hearfelt story anyway. Instead they have a sweet romance that you will root for all the way through the film.

Now let's move on to what was not so good about the film. One point that made me cringe was the sterotypical portrayal of African Americans. I'm sure that no harm was meant by it, but for me it did spoil certain parts of the film a little. Another criticism would be that I felt Kajol's character became slightly unlikeable as the film went on. I know she was in wracked by grief, but I thought that she behaved overly harshly towards her husband. Still, I guess it's not all that unlikely a human response, so I suppose it's a valid way to show the character. Finally, I should add that certain bits of the film are a little over the top. However, I think it is important to see past this to the message within - after all, it is a film, not a documentary.

Overall, I would reccomend this film. Some people have complained that it is boring and preachy and unrealistic and not very good. I think they are missing the point. This is not another big block busting Bollywood action film about money and girls and cars. It's not a lurid fantasy. This is a serious film about the relationship between muslims and the rest of the world. It's not trying to make you think in a certain way, it's not trying to shove anything down your throat. It's just telling the tale of a remarkable man who did good deeds even though his life was full of suffering. And he just happened to be muslim.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Genuine Emotional Masterpiece, 2 Jun 2010
Caleb Williams (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My Name is Khan [DVD] (DVD)
I'd been wanting to see this or a while and only managed to get the chance tonight. I was expecting a lot, as the trailer made it seem inspirational, and recommendations from friends only enforced that expectation. I have to say that not only were my expectations met, but they were surpassed. It is a truly beautiful film in every possible way. The story it has to tell, the way it is shot, the actors and their characters, the overall feel of the film is just absolutely stunning. I was taken on a rollercoaster ride of emotion as one moment I would be laughing my head off, and the next I'd be literally in tears. This film is not just here to entertain and make money (although I'm hoping it does a lot of both), but it sends out a very important and poignant message about the image of Islam in the world since the shocking and terrible events of 9/11. Not just Islam, but it sends out a message about all religion with the use of a very simple statement; "Good people who do good deeds. Bad People who do bad. There is no other difference". Such a strong message to send and it says something so simple. We're all human and regardless of the religion we live by or the culture we have, our deeds are what make us good or bad people and not those labels applied by those other parts of our lives.

The story follows the journey of Rizwan Khan (Shah Rukh Khan), a Muslim man with Asperger's Syndrome as he writes a letter to his wife Mandira (Kajol) while he is on a journey to give the President of the United States a message; "My Name Is Khan, and I am not a Terrorist". Through this letter he is writing, we come to learn about the emotions he truly feels and can't express when speaking due to his condition. We learn about his upbringing with his brother Zakir and his Mother in Mumbai, his arrival in America to work with his brother and his eventual falling in love with the woman who would be his wife, Mandira. Rizwan achieves the impossible. He has made a happy life for himself in America and kept a promise he made to his Ammi. This happiness is not to last, however, as the tragedy of 9/11 occurs turning Riwan and Mandira's life upside down in very frightening and tragic ways. The stereotyping of the Muslim terrorist begins to make its mark on the couple and put a strain on their relationship but, one day things hit rock bottom and their son, Sameer (Yuvaan Makaar) is killed in a racially motivated attack. This is the final straw and the relationship breaks apart and Rizwan is told to leave and in the heat of the moment, only to return when he has given the message to the US President.

Out of my little description, I've missed out so much. There's a lot to take in from this film and something that you will enjoy as the film runs. Shah Rukh Khan deserves a very prestigious western award for his role in this film. Possibly even going as high up as an Oscar (although I'm sure there's some rule that would prevent that from ever happening) as his performance is magnificent and he is truly deserving of wider recognition in the western world. He steals the show as the personality and mannerisms of the character are maintained beautifully throughout, from the twitching of the neck to simply the way he speaks. There are times when his traits are hilarious, and others when they are frankly annoying. But you never lose sight of the genuine and caring nature of this character and you become adoring of his flaws as they simply vale what is a very sweet personality.

This, in a sense, gives you more of a respectful understanding of the condition and how difficult it may be to cope with, especially in social circumstances, when you want to say something, but simply cannot express it the way you want. The message of everyone being simply being defined as being part of one of two groups, good or bad people, is one that I truly admire and taking on the topic of religion during such a raw and emotional time, and offering it from the perspective of an Asian family is a very brave and meaningful move.

A beautiful film with a beautiful message, and by far the best film I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Name Is Khan - Review, 11 Feb 2012
This review is from: My Name is Khan [DVD] (DVD)
Bran new dvd, good quality. But they are no english subtitle for the parts that are said in English, which I would have wanted to know since I don't understand Hindi. But otherwise, the dvd was great. And it arrived very quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars My name is Khurram and I am not a terrorist, 7 Feb 2014
K. G. A. Alavi (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Name is Khan [DVD] (DVD)
This film takes you on a range of emotions. The only reason I could not give this film 5 stars is because I though, (as is the case with more Bollywood films), it was too long and tried to do too much I would have preferred them to have made 2 films possible like they did for Kill bill. The acting is great Shahrukh Khan is the Tom Cruz of Bollywood a chameleon who can play any role; he and Kajol have always had incredible on screen chemistry. So much so that people always assumed they were a real couple.

Shahrukh plays a high functioning Asperger's syndrome sufferer called Ritswan Khan, as always he plays the role perfectly, due to his condition he is bullied in school, and take up most of his mother's time at home much to the chagrin of his younger brother. Excelling academically with a private tutor, he will always have problems with social interaction and relationships. His brother moves to American and after their mother pass away we brings him to America as well. Khan narrates the film in the past tense giving an ominous warning something very bad has happened.

From here the film of 2 parts start. The first is Khans trying to find acceptance of himself and his condition from the people in America, and the affections of Kajol. This is the happy family film I and I would be glad if the film finished here. The second apart is Khan's struggle in post 9/11 America. Desperate to get his message out that even though his name is Khan he is not a terrorist. This is that dark part of the film, there are moments when that are still up lifting but they are few and far between. There are important messages in this film, but I would have like to watch this part separately. However I can see why they were done together. It is more and ending for justice than a happy ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 29 Mar 2010
This review is from: My Name is Khan [DVD] (DVD)
It is the most amazing film, relevant, happy, sad and emotional.
I dare you to watch this movie without your heart reaching out.
In the cinema this film was amazing, and of course it being a bollywood film it is in a forgein language, but adds to the delight of watching it. Highlighting the difficulties of a muslim and hindu way of life in modern america, one of the best films i have seen to date!

Definitely recommend it!!
:-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just GREAT, 16 April 2010
This review is from: My Name is Khan [DVD] (DVD)
Great movie very highly underrated, really can't think of a reason why ;)
Anyway absolutely anyone would enjoy watching this movie.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 10 July 2014
The story is a bid flat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings a tear to your Eye - Pefect Film - One to Watch, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: My Name is Khan [DVD] (DVD)
This film captures many emotions, all at the same time.
It lets the viewer know what it is like to be a Muslim in "Western" society - The Irish Comedian said the Muslims are the new "Irish" - the level of discriminbation is extreme.
Apart from that - the film capures what it is like to have a disability like Asperger Syndrome and Autism - Khan has a fear of the colour yellow - does not like eye contact - and so many symptoms are revealed with humour - so many emotions are capture - a film for everyone

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Educational and Entertaining Life Story !, 16 Jun 2014
A must watch movie.

It shows how there's only good people in the word and bad people, despite religion, race, disability, culture.. and the movie is a classic of mine.

There should be more movies made like this. Much better than a CGI explosion bang movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD, 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: My Name is Khan [DVD] (DVD)
I purchased this for my course at university. I used it has part of my presentation. This item arrived in really good condition (new) and on time. I was thrilled.

My Name is Khan [DVD]
My Name is Khan [DVD] by Karan Johar (DVD - 2010)
6.78