4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, moving film, though a little soppy
Published on 2 April 2010 by Jennifer Malsingh

3.0 out of 5 stars brill film but....
This film is brill but theres alot of english subtitles and indian speaking which I cant really enjoy a film like that but i watched it very emotional at the end. would of liked it better if it was English all the way through.
Published on 18 April 2013 by marissa

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, moving film, though a little soppy, 2 April 2010
Jennifer Malsingh (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Name is Khan [DVD] (DVD)
My Name is Khan is a moving, beautiful film about an Indian Muslim with aspergers who moves to America and falls in love. After 9/11, he and his Hindu partner's lives are completely changed and they suffer a terrible tragedy that threatens to destroy their relationship. Khan, because his aspergers has the tendency to make him literal and innocent, decides that he will try and speak with the president of the united states and let him know that not all muslims are terrorists. He begins a long and difficult journey to do so, and in doing so changes the lives of many people he meets.

This is a movie with a message. It's a beautiful, much needed message that is perfect for our current situation. Because of this, I think the parts of the movie that are a little soppy and over the top can be forgiven. This is a movie to make you feel good about mankind. It takes you right down to the bottom of the barrel to get there, but ultimately it wants to show you the loving side of humanity.

Shah Rukh Khan is on excellent form here. His portrayal of a man with aspergers is brilliant - neither comic or distasteful, I thought it was well played, and to my (untrained) eye it seemed quite realistic. The chemistry between him and Kajol is not as sizzling hot as in their previous movies, but that wouldn't be suitable for this delicate, hearfelt story anyway. Instead they have a sweet romance that you will root for all the way through the film.

Now let's move on to what was not so good about the film. One point that made me cringe was the sterotypical portrayal of African Americans. I'm sure that no harm was meant by it, but for me it did spoil certain parts of the film a little. Another criticism would be that I felt Kajol's character became slightly unlikeable as the film went on. I know she was in wracked by grief, but I thought that she behaved overly harshly towards her husband. Still, I guess it's not all that unlikely a human response, so I suppose it's a valid way to show the character. Finally, I should add that certain bits of the film are a little over the top. However, I think it is important to see past this to the message within - after all, it is a film, not a documentary.

Overall, I would reccomend this film. Some people have complained that it is boring and preachy and unrealistic and not very good. I think they are missing the point. This is not another big block busting Bollywood action film about money and girls and cars. It's not a lurid fantasy. This is a serious film about the relationship between muslims and the rest of the world. It's not trying to make you think in a certain way, it's not trying to shove anything down your throat. It's just telling the tale of a remarkable man who did good deeds even though his life was full of suffering. And he just happened to be muslim.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Genuine Emotional Masterpiece, 2 Jun. 2010
Caleb Williams (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My Name is Khan [DVD] (DVD)
I'd been wanting to see this or a while and only managed to get the chance tonight. I was expecting a lot, as the trailer made it seem inspirational, and recommendations from friends only enforced that expectation. I have to say that not only were my expectations met, but they were surpassed. It is a truly beautiful film in every possible way. The story it has to tell, the way it is shot, the actors and their characters, the overall feel of the film is just absolutely stunning. I was taken on a rollercoaster ride of emotion as one moment I would be laughing my head off, and the next I'd be literally in tears. This film is not just here to entertain and make money (although I'm hoping it does a lot of both), but it sends out a very important and poignant message about the image of Islam in the world since the shocking and terrible events of 9/11. Not just Islam, but it sends out a message about all religion with the use of a very simple statement; "Good people who do good deeds. Bad People who do bad. There is no other difference". Such a strong message to send and it says something so simple. We're all human and regardless of the religion we live by or the culture we have, our deeds are what make us good or bad people and not those labels applied by those other parts of our lives.

The story follows the journey of Rizwan Khan (Shah Rukh Khan), a Muslim man with Asperger's Syndrome as he writes a letter to his wife Mandira (Kajol) while he is on a journey to give the President of the United States a message; "My Name Is Khan, and I am not a Terrorist". Through this letter he is writing, we come to learn about the emotions he truly feels and can't express when speaking due to his condition. We learn about his upbringing with his brother Zakir and his Mother in Mumbai, his arrival in America to work with his brother and his eventual falling in love with the woman who would be his wife, Mandira. Rizwan achieves the impossible. He has made a happy life for himself in America and kept a promise he made to his Ammi. This happiness is not to last, however, as the tragedy of 9/11 occurs turning Riwan and Mandira's life upside down in very frightening and tragic ways. The stereotyping of the Muslim terrorist begins to make its mark on the couple and put a strain on their relationship but, one day things hit rock bottom and their son, Sameer (Yuvaan Makaar) is killed in a racially motivated attack. This is the final straw and the relationship breaks apart and Rizwan is told to leave and in the heat of the moment, only to return when he has given the message to the US President.

Out of my little description, I've missed out so much. There's a lot to take in from this film and something that you will enjoy as the film runs. Shah Rukh Khan deserves a very prestigious western award for his role in this film. Possibly even going as high up as an Oscar (although I'm sure there's some rule that would prevent that from ever happening) as his performance is magnificent and he is truly deserving of wider recognition in the western world. He steals the show as the personality and mannerisms of the character are maintained beautifully throughout, from the twitching of the neck to simply the way he speaks. There are times when his traits are hilarious, and others when they are frankly annoying. But you never lose sight of the genuine and caring nature of this character and you become adoring of his flaws as they simply vale what is a very sweet personality.

This, in a sense, gives you more of a respectful understanding of the condition and how difficult it may be to cope with, especially in social circumstances, when you want to say something, but simply cannot express it the way you want. The message of everyone being simply being defined as being part of one of two groups, good or bad people, is one that I truly admire and taking on the topic of religion during such a raw and emotional time, and offering it from the perspective of an Asian family is a very brave and meaningful move.

A beautiful film with a beautiful message, and by far the best film I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars SRK did his homework..., 11 Jan. 2012
This review is from: My Name is Khan [DVD] (DVD)
I have Aspergers and was in tears watching this film.The movie portrays what it is like to have Aspergers and some of what we go through-the airport scene is the sort of treatment we receive,though not just at airports.I an Irish but live in England and went through a lot of the same harrassment and racism in the 1980s and 1990s (when the IRA were active) as Khan does in this movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Name Is Khan - Review, 11 Feb. 2012
This review is from: My Name is Khan [DVD] (DVD)
Bran new dvd, good quality. But they are no english subtitle for the parts that are said in English, which I would have wanted to know since I don't understand Hindi. But otherwise, the dvd was great. And it arrived very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forest Gump meets Bollywood, 17 Oct. 2013
Sezza "Serah" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Name is Khan [DVD] (DVD)
I love Bollywood films and this was no exception. It reminded me an awful lot of Forest Gump; in that both of them are heroes who triumph despite their social limitations or,indeed, maybe because of them?

I found MNIK very painful to watch at times because those who have no understanding of autism/Asp.syndrome are quick to write sufferers off as slow-witted, which is so not the case. Many AS sufferers are very high-functioning people, who simply have an alternative way of looking at the World, one that scientists are realising confers some advantages over non-sufferers. They are very literal and don't always understand the nuances of social interaction, hence they tell the often, brutal truth! They don't realise that it can be offensive although sometimes it can be refreshingly honest!

It also touched upon how siblings of AS sufferers feel neglected or less important when their parent's attention is focused so heavily on the child with AS, or any limiting condition for that matter! It must be so difficult for the parents to have a child that can't bear to be touched as your natural instinct is to want to hug your child.

This film dealt with so many different issues woven throughout the plot that it wasn't until afterwards that I really started to think about them in detail. Because there was so much hatred towards the 9/11 terrorists no-one really stopped to think about the impact on the Muslim communities in US and elsewhere. I imagine that Hindus and Sikhs probably suffered too, just by dint of looking Asian. When a nation is angry and in mourning they want someone to blame for their pain & anguish, thus high emotion forsakes rationality!

The moral of this story is that you should be judged for your humanity not your race or religion. It is a very powerful, thought-provoking film; sometimes extremely painful to watch, sometimes funny but one that I don't think can fail to leave some sort of impression on you!

I noticed a few reviewers have complained about the fact the film is subtitled because it's in Hindi. It's primarily aimed at an Indian audience so it's only fair it's in Hindi, just as Hollywood films are always in English because of it's target audience - namely Americans. I didn't find the subtitles detracted from the film and you do acclimatise to them quite quickly!

5.0 out of 5 stars FOR ALL HUMANITY ., 8 Feb. 2015
This review is from: My Name is Khan [DVD] (DVD)
I Could write a full page review on this film and still not do it justice. This is one of the most important films I have ever had the oppurtunity to witness. Dealing with Aspergers, being a Muslim and being in the USA at the time of the 9/11 attacks, having to cope with Racism, being accused of being a terrorist is just part of the Central Characters Journey in this epic. Running alongside a love story, with Laughter, Sadness, terror and plenty of aciton, this film, gave me everything a film could possibly give. And the sad part is most of this story is based on truth.

I wish our schools would show this movie. Maybe then there would be less hatred in this world, more acceptance that others are entitled to have their own opinions and ideas about the world without expecting others to adopt theirs. This is not a movie directed at any particular Race or Religion. This is about having a understanding that we do not always understand one another or agree with one another, but at the same time, we do not have to hurt or Kill one another. This film may make you laugh or it may make you cry, but one things very likely, It will make you think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 29 Mar. 2010
This review is from: My Name is Khan [DVD] (DVD)
It is the most amazing film, relevant, happy, sad and emotional.
I dare you to watch this movie without your heart reaching out.
In the cinema this film was amazing, and of course it being a bollywood film it is in a forgein language, but adds to the delight of watching it. Highlighting the difficulties of a muslim and hindu way of life in modern america, one of the best films i have seen to date!

Definitely recommend it!!
:-)

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, feelgood film, 22 May 2013
This review is from: My Name is Khan [DVD] (DVD)
Khan is an "everyman" and this is one of those lovely "everyman" films. It's got everything you could possibly want - humour, romance, pathos. It makes you laugh, it makes you cry, it makes you think. Khan is an endearing character and Shahrukh Khan gives a beautifully understated and restrained performance, which makes the character all the more believable. With a strong supporting cast this thoughtful film makes for an excellent experience.

A note to anyone who has seen this film on the telly: buy the DVD anyway because there are a number of scenes in it that you don't get in the cut-for-TV version, and they help to give some of the other scenes a better context.

This DVD will stay on my bookshelf and be revisited again, and again.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings a tear to your Eye - Pefect Film - One to Watch, 16 Jun. 2014
This review is from: My Name is Khan [DVD] (DVD)
This film captures many emotions, all at the same time.
It lets the viewer know what it is like to be a Muslim in "Western" society - The Irish Comedian said the Muslims are the new "Irish" - the level of discriminbation is extreme.
Apart from that - the film capures what it is like to have a disability like Asperger Syndrome and Autism - Khan has a fear of the colour yellow - does not like eye contact - and so many symptoms are revealed with humour - so many emotions are capture - a film for everyone

5.0 out of 5 stars EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEE THIS FILM, 9 Jan. 2014
This review is from: My Name is Khan [DVD] (DVD)
This has to be one of my all time favourite films. Such a powerful Soul searching storyline that will have you watching laughing crying and laughing. You will experience all emotions with this film. The acting is superb storyline delicate issues powerful I am really at a loss for words in describing how you will feel. All I can tell you is Please sit and watch and trust me as me and my daughter have watched it time and time again you will never hide this DVD away. I am wanting to watch it again now even speaking of it

My Name is Khan [DVD]
My Name is Khan [DVD] by Karan Johar (DVD - 2010)