5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read
Published on 24 Feb 2010 by Mr. M. Randall

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite dull, not much information.
These are just a serious of opinions bound together in a book. There is no specific topic (which is fine as they are all personal opinions) or overall or overall direction. You'd be better off reading "The Pragmatic Programmer", that *does* include things every programmer should know and it's fun to read.
Published on 24 Oct 2011 by Mr. F. Gonzalez

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite dull, not much information., 24 Oct 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, 24 Feb 2010
Mr. M. Randall (Wakefield, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a very well written and accessible book to have on your desk at work, or on the coffee table at home. Each article is two pages long and can be read in five minutes as a small but succinct nugget of advice. The articles are based on the experience of developers from a variety of backgrounds. I found that whenever I had a spare moment, I'd pick this up and read another article.

I'm a programmer with over 20 years of experience, and while the advice in every article was not unknown to me, I did find every article brilliantly expressed and interesting to read. I would recommend this book to developers of all levels of experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good and valuable read, 25 May 2010
James Ingram (UK) - See all my reviews
I didn't agree with everything in the book, but I agreed with most of it. Some of it I consider a little basic (if you're having to convince developers of the value of code reviews, for example, then you've got much bigger problems than a book on good practices can sort out for you).

But on the whole I found it engaging, well-written, and well-argued.

Best of all: each chapter is at most two pages long, so everything is in nice bite-sized chunks, just right for sparking discussion or for dipping into from time to time.

I can't tell precisely how good the whole book is: my lead architect asked to borrow it before I had finished it: that was two months ago, and I've not seen it since...

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book to dip into., 14 July 2010
Toby Allen "Toby Allen" (Cork, Ireland.) - See all my reviews
This is a great book to have on the coffee table or beside the bed to dip into every now and again when you want a little bit of inspiration. Even if you reckon you know most of the pearls of wisdom, there is always a twist, and always the odd one you dont agree with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 4 Dec 2011
I think these are a collection of useful advices from experts.
I think any newbie will find this book a great read, but also experienced ones who already think the know everything (no, you don't)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books, but..., 4 Sep 2013
This book is full of some very interesting, eye opening and self validating tips. And yes I agree that every programmer should know most of these things.

The book isn't specific to any programming language and yes is can be considered opinion, but I'm sure that most developers will be nodding their heads in agreement as they read each "Thing". The good news is there is a lot more "Things" to be found on O'Reilly web site that is added to from time to time.

Would recommend this to any developer and suggest you leave it on your desk for others to read too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, good collection of short pieces of advice, 15 Aug 2013
Bought this after seeing Kevlin Henney at DevWeek 2013.

Useful set of short sharp stories giving good advice on the development processes.

You get a lot of different viewpoints in 1 place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 11 May 2013
It's a essencial manual to people in this area. It as some aspects that we didn't think in our day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, 13 Nov 2012
I would recommend this book for any junior or senior developer, the book challenged my usual perception about programming and no doubt it has really fine tuned my thinking also making me a better developer. I would say buy this book now :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Was Inspiring but also Repetitive, 12 May 2012
This is a random collection of 97 programming tips from about 80 computer programmers/developers. The book is fairly short at 195 pages of main text followed by short bio's on the contributors. Each tip is neatly presented over two pages usually of about four paragraphs and usually with plenty of white space (some tips are larger than others). It a nice easy read.

I enjoyed this book and did find it inspiring and would recommend it as a nice read for programmers be they novice or experience but I can't really give it more than 3 stars overall as the articles are pretty random and a lot are saying similar things, a more distinct though out collection of tips could have been better. Though there is a helpful grouping at the start they are just laid out one after the other in no particular order. There are a few very specific pieces but many are really on keeping up to date, use good style and be considerate.

Perhaps this is because it is what resonates most with me but I could summarise the book as be professional, use good style, write code as if you are going to a have to maintain it (a good specific tip), always take time to improve code your bug fixing / developing (the always I disagree with), test test test, automate and always keep learning.

Its a nice read that I enjoyed and would would recommend it didn't really teach me lots - I'm older and but it was a good refresher. Could have done with a more diverse set of articles so you might be better getting a more structured book on development (style and testing) and remember keep in mind keep learning. Then again it has encouraged me to get on with learning that next programming language.

ARRAY(0xb3ff5258)