Format: DVD|Change

on 9 November 2013
I bought this to watch with my 7 year old son who is really into the aircraft and air battles of WWII at the moment. The Bluray transfer is very good and it is amazing the detail that can be appreciated in HD that one misses in normal TV broadcasts of the film. Fortunately my son has yet to realise the dog's name is a problem in our modern world - I anticipate having to discuss racism with him sometime soon..! 1950s special effects (the dam explosion) are very poor by today's standards, but otherwise the film is well shot and within 2 minutes one forgets it's black and white!
on 5 September 2014
A nice transfer to DVD and so much better than on VHS.
This version has not been edited and the dog's name remains intact. This is, I believe how it should be rather than make a sad attempt to deny history (very notably in the instance of renaming a Christie novel twice until it made no sense).
While we might not use such terms now, pretending we never did is more of an insult than showing how things really were.
The image is nice and sharp and the sound clear. The only flaw is the special effects for the explosions which while good for their time are rather more embarrassing now on an HD TV.
VINE VOICEon 3 August 2014
Great film, some Pythagorus theorem (the lights) taught to me when I saw it as age 10.

It's still brilliant.
My dad was co=pilot in the lead aircraft during the this film re-make.
They miffed off the farmers flying over the dams at 100 yards.

Imagine doing that in the dark and with men firing BIG guns at you.
No thanks.
Glad these chaps did it for me.
Thank you.
on 14 November 2013
My grandson watched this film in my home and asked for it for Christmas. whenever he watches it here he comes running to tell me when they breach the dam bringing back memories of visiting the cinema with my brother when I was younger and how we all cheered when the dam burst. Made in black and white to actually incorporate the film of the testing of the bomb by Barnes Wallis. It is a must see when you hear how low they had to fly and think of how large the Lancaster was (Everyone always said you heard the Lancaster before you saw it) it makes you realise how brave these young pilots were. Must see film
on 26 July 2013
This is one of my favourite films, I showed it a few time many years ago when I used to be a projectionist in Kensington, London.

I have the original DVD release and was reasonably satisfied with that until I read the reviews of this blu-ray transfer, I had to see if the comments were true so I purchased it.

I am very happy to say that they are true, the picture and sound quality are absolutely incredible for a film of this vintage, I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself.

Although there are still a few artefacts the odd few spots and one or two prominent scratches for a second or two in places, overall this is an excellent transfer and I am very pleased that I purchased it, I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes this film.
on 4 January 2014
I bought this film as I saw this film for the first time in 2013 and loved it, the film is based on the real dam busters who did turn the tables on the German war machine, the musical score in this film is probably known by everyone who hears it and adds to the films overall appeal, great film for its time and great way to see how the tables were turned in ww2
on 11 January 2014
Although the film follows most of the raid as it happens there are a few deviations (as with all films). Gibson was also more of a hard task master than portrayed. However, the film is a classic and worth watching to show what the crews went through and what it was like to fly those huge aircraft at such a low level.
on 19 May 2014
One of the old classic films to add to my growing blu-ray collection

Okay it maybe black and white and some effects not as modern times (ie CGI bomb at dam wall)

Reasonable price from a seller to be recommended to other buyers
on 18 December 2011
It is many years since the Film was launched and following a sudden impulse to research Guy Gibson's short life I decided to buy the DVD of his epic feat with 617 Squadron.
I suppose it was the add ons that made this for me, the interviews with the remaining few raid members, who at the time considered it all in the line of duty, but in hindsight are probably only just coming to terms with the enormity of the events.
The film is a classic with superb casting
and performances to match. Whether Guy Gibson's personality was quite as 'human' as Richard Todd portrayed, we will nver know as Gibson lost his life to friendly fire in 1945 over Holland.
The DVD is very good value supporting the story of the events of 1943 and with RAF Scampton and the Dams themselves 'all alive and kicking' visits are called for just to revel and reminisce in a superhuman feat. Even Barnes Wallace after the War chose to emphasise what the Squadron achieved using his 'tools for the job'
This DVD is a must for the current post War generations clearly showing the advances in current technology with that available at the time.
on 8 August 2011
Saw the film this weekend after an absence of something like 25-30 years. Of course the special effects are clunky, and why wouldn't they be compared to today's CGI and what have you? But this doesn't detract from an enthralling story of heroism and ingenuity. Both Michael Redgrave and Richard Todd bring the human side to a true war story, wrestling with doubt, obsession, duty, loss and danger to lesser or greater degrees. Its a welcome change to the sometimes over the top special effects we get in more modern stories and the loss of characterisation in place of explosions and implausible storylines.

I'd forgotten that the dog's name was 'Nigger', and I can see why this film is no longer on television. But to be honest, the name was never intended as an insulting one; it was just a reflection of when that word was not taken as such, but as a description of the dog's colouration. Times change. Perhaps the film soundtrack could be altered subtely so that the word didn't appear - maybe substitute it for 'Digger' or something?

The theme tune is an iconic timeless piece as is the film. Still good even today.