5.0 out of 5 stars Visually stunning with masterly writing
I admit to being a Mad Men obsessive. I'm not alone - there is a fantastic blog on the Guardian website (recently collected into a book The Ultimate Guide to Mad Men: The Guardian companion to the slickest show on television) if you're only now catching up on this series.

Published on 19 Nov 2010 by purpleheart

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't warm to it....
Ok, first thing off - it is not a bad set of programmes, but I fail to see the universal appeal of Madmen. The good - depiction of late 50s/ early 60s is believable, as are the sets, as are the evolution of the development of modern consumerist culture, all of which superficially at least make for an appealing mix. The Bad - I think some of the plotlines and dialogue are...
Published on 16 Oct 2011 by ChrisG

5.0 out of 5 stars Visually stunning with masterly writing, 19 Nov 2010
purpleheart (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mad Men - Seasons 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)

I watched every episode from the beginning, then I got this DVD set so I could watch them all again. The first three series are superb but Series 4, which is currently screening on BBC4, has taken it all to a new level - things which we found out in earlier seasons are coming to fruition. Those of us who have invested in watching every episode are getting the payoff now. So, I highly recommend this set for an intensive catch-up if you're joining the game late, or need to brush up your memory.

I am in awe of Mathew Weiner, who was also a writer on The Sopranos. It shows. In Mad Men he demonstrates the same ability to create a fully realised world with complex characters and sets it firmly in the time and place of early sixties Manhatten. The changing role of women, civil rights, the rise of consumerism are all explored through following Sterling Cooper's fortunes and those of the families who are tied up with them. The attention to detail is astounding; the clothes, the sets, the language are spot on.

It's hard not to fall in love with this series; great writing, directing and acting coming together in a flawless and totally gripping drama. It's great on the business workplace, which is so rare in any genre, and the characters are both complex and consistent. They surprise you, but their actions come from their character flaws and strengths rather than an imposed plot twist.

I was recently on a quiet holiday with friends and we watched a couple of episodes from series two each night. It made me appreciate the total experience even more, giving the same satisfaction as a great film or novel. Soon watching them on DVD will be the only way to avoid ads, as the Season 5 onwards will be screened by Sky.

After The Sopranos and the Wire, some people say that the best film making is now on TV - this body of work supports that assertion. Seeing MadMen week by week is absorbing and thrilling. When you can view episodes back to back on DVD they can take over your life in the same way as that great film or novel. TV doesn't get better than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A window on a different era !, 28 July 2010
This review is from: Mad Men - Seasons 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
A friend loaned us the first season of Mad Men because we had never heard of it other than to see them winning awards for best drama in the States. Now we know why; this is an amazingly intelligent and meticulously detailed window on this era in the USA. The characters are all so interesting as we see them interact with each other and the producers have been so careful to recreate the physical and social environment - right down to the food packaging. It is so interesting to observe how attitudes have changed and the attention to detail in terms of wardrobe and culture is truly commendable. The cast are terrific and that's all you need to know - don't miss this chance to travel in time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gift, 27 Feb 2010
Mad Men 1-3 dramatizes suburban American life in the late 1950's to the early 60s, with the fine ear and eye of a first class writer and painter. If you like American short stories, such as those of John Cheever, or the films of directors like Douglas Sirk you would probably enjoy the Mad Men series.

The characters are carefully drawn and involving, the dialogue is smart, the situations dramatized of work and family life are likely to strike a chord. The issues of racial and sexual equality, health, lifestyle, culture and politics are woven into interesting and believable human stories. The acting, set designs, costumes are also part of the pleasure. In an early review of Mad Men I suggested it was a show suitable for those of a certain sophistication and for others there was 'Lost'. A somewhat snobbish view I accept, but I would stick to it, nonetheless.

Finally, this is a terrific show to buy in blu-ray. I have watched all 3 series on BBC, but not bought the dvd. For people who haven't seen the show or don't possess the dvd this seems to me an excellent opportunity to get the blu-ray version. I am not sure I can count on anyone to give it to me, so it will have to be a gift to myself. I will watch the shows again with my wife, who has belatedly also started to appreciate them, and a bottle or two of Bodegas Zapata Catena Alta Malbec.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best..., 21 July 2011
J. Grant (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mad Men - Seasons 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
Mad Men is quite simply, the best written drama on television. Poignant, witty, charming and exceptionally well styled, it beautifully captures a fascinating time in American history when men were men and women were...well...oppressed. As someone with a long standing interest in American history, the detail that this stunning show goes into is really quite outstanding. From just 30 seconds of a song or a Beatles ticket landing on a desk, Mad Men manages to capture the feelings and moods of a nation. However you must be careful as this show is addictive. You won't sleep or leave the house until you finish it and this is why buying a box set is dangerous. You may also take up smoking again and drink far too much whiskey. If you are prepared for this however, Mad Men will charm you more than Don Draper and a martini.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: Mad Men - Seasons 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
it was a present for my brother hes says it was excellent now im just writing anythiing to fill up the word quota

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning., 14 July 2011
This review is from: Mad Men - Seasons 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
One of the most flawless, sophisticated and intelligent pieces of television in a very long time. Not only is it superbly written and acted, it is sumptuous to look at too. It's worth watching just for the authentic detail paid to sets and wardrobe alone. WATCH IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 Jun 2011
susie (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
So many friends kept harping on about Mad Men that in the end I had to buy the box set.

I'm so glad I did. What a brilliant show. The only problem was that my husband and I ended up going to bed very late on numerous occasions as we had to watch "just one more episode."

It is a glimpse of life in another era and boy can they drink and smoke! The plots are great and the characters are believable. I'm going to buy series 4 as soon as I've caught up on my sleep.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bad Men, 9 May 2011
This review is from: Mad Men - Seasons 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
I don't watch a lot of TV - I prefer box sets, because if something's worth watching I don't want to wait til next week to see the next episode, during which time I'll forget it's on, or fail to set Sky+, or forget what happened last week. So I didn't bother with Mad Men when it was aired and instead bought this and series 4. Watched them in a virtual oner: Series 1 and 4 are the best, but 2 & 3 aren't far behind (I give this 4 stars, not 5, because I felt the Don and Bets storyline dragged slightly in those eps).
Excellent acting, great scripts, brilliant period detail (as far as I know, I wasn't around at the time), one of the great business scams and TV's best supporting character in Roger Sterling (and they say Yanks can't do sarcasm): can't ask for much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars mad men extra, extra., 9 Feb 2011
This review is from: Mad Men - Seasons 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
I am not going to comment on the series other than to say that this for me is the best slice of television cake... ever!
I would like to praise and recommend very highly the extras...particularly the commentaries by Matthew Weiner and the cast and crew. They are so full of enthusiasm and insights that they double the enjoyment and pleasure of the series.
I watch an episode and then the commentary. And the show has that rare thing....repeatability. PURE ENJOYMENT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Madmen, 15 Jan 2011
Valerie Harris "delaware" (East Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mad Men - Seasons 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
As I am a great fan of Madmen I was extremely pleased with it and I thought the packaging very stylish. Delivery was as prompt as ever, in fact just what I have come to expect from Amazon.

Mad Men - Seasons 1-3 [DVD]
Mad Men - Seasons 1-3 [DVD] by Alan Taylor (DVD - 2010)
53.94