5.0 out of 5 stars Still Buzzing
Mad Men continues to be excellent drama. For fans, series 3 will be must-watch TV. Those who find the series somewhat static would not see anything here to change their mind. Although the series does build up to a very dramatic final couple of episodes interwoven with the Kennedy assassination. Stuff happens, the writers just take time to make their dramatic point. No...
Published on 27 Feb 2010 by Graham Chapman

3.0 out of 5 stars Luxury soap
I enjoyed the first two series of "Mad Men", which I found moving and extremely well-acted. If anything let them down, it was the lack of subtlety in some of the writing: themes were hammered home, and references to contemporary events were crowbarred in rather than allowed to arise of their own accord. On balance, though, I felt the quality of the acting, and the visual...
Published on 4 Jun 2011 by Frank T

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best US TV series, 10 Aug 2010
I really loved this series. It is set in the 1960's and just the sets and costumes are worth watching it for! However, the story line is good too. It is about the advertising business in New York (Madison Avenue - hence Mad Men.) The main lead is an advertising executive called Don Draper, who, it turns out, has a murky past. Watch and enjoy. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adictive bliss, 10 Aug 2010
This review is from: Mad Men - Season 3 [DVD] (DVD)
The reviews and awards are right on the money. Fun, funny, outrageous, gorgeous to behold and with all the sophisticated plot twists anyone could wish for. Extras include great features on American society of the time. Happily Season Four is on its way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great if you like Mad Men!, 1 Jun 2010
This review is from: Mad Men - Season 3 [DVD] (DVD)
Season 3 is certainly keeping up the high standards from previous seasons of Mad Men!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding drama, 30 May 2010
Richard Hayter (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mad Men - Season 3 [DVD] (DVD)
Once again, Mad Men continues to be the best written drama on TV. Excellent character development portrayed by fine actors drags you into the 1960s lock, stock and barrel. Great stuff.

3.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to like MM3 as much as MM2...., 24 Jun 2010
Plom de Nume "Rob" (Wolverhampton, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
...but then, I really wanted to like Series 2 as much as Series 1. You do the math: diminishing returns. If you're contemplating Series 3 then you've probably seen the first two. If, like me, you found attention - yours and the writers - drifting towards the end of 2, then I'm afraid you're in for a further lapse in the latest outing (whilst if you weren't bothered by the loss of direction and irritating fillers as Series 2 finished, then you'll probably find nothing wrong with 3 either).

In 3, the digressions and padding come in between the best episodes that top and tail the season. At its best, of course, Mad Men outshines most other current TV output. You could allow that, even at worst, it's "still better than..." But my personal take is that any flaws come over all the more annoyingly when expectations are set so high; one gets less forgiving when the evidence of much greater capability has been so rich. Indeed, we made what was probably the mistake of rewatching Series 2 in delicious anticipation of 3 arriving. We forgave the silliness towards the end of Season 2. Little did we know.

The problems now are the same that tend to beset programmes more obviously requiring inflation, the likes of Lost and 24 - you know, the need to fill things out. So, in MM3, we get Don pulling at least one too many "lost weekend" excursions into transit and adultery (the last of which, with a "spiritual" teacher, is so risible it required an otherwise unthinkable Fast Forward through its more turgid moments). Come to think of it, we actually had to Rewind to check that this latest dalliance did, indeed, end with the lady just left out in a car whilst the season resumed its dreary course (that would be a spoiler, I know; were it not for the fact that things were already spoiled).

The writers seem to forget that the stuff we really love in Mad Men, the office, the ads, the established characters, the Roger Sterling one-liners, the amazing study that is Pete Campbell, Joan, Peggy... well, that's we want more of, not the unnecessary distractions of yet another constipated foray for Don or the soapy stuff with Betsy's family or irrelevant and ephemeral characters and plotlines drifting vapidly in and out of matters. The real tragedy is that these "new" ideas are so increasingly irksome that, when we finally do get back to the office, we've lost interest.

What a waste. I'm probably overstating it because I regard Mad Men so highly at its best. There's still much to enjoy here. But really: massive return to discipline required for Series 4, if and when! Get it and watch for continuity; enjoy the highlights; tune out the lows. Fingers crossed.

Oh - Blu-Ray: don't bother for this one (I' wish I'd had 1 and 2 in that format, as they truly were "made for Hi-Def"; but not this time, thanks).

5.0 out of 5 stars one not to missT, 28 May 2010
This review is from: Mad Men - Season 3 [DVD] (DVD)
this is fantastic. got all of the dvds. It is for all.Gives an insight to how all big busines works, roll on the next one. Don't be shy go on and buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop watching, 16 May 2010
CK Writer (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mad Men - Season 3 [DVD] (DVD)
Having seen the first two series we had to get the third series. We were unable to watch it in TV when it was broadcast because of other commitments. Watching the DVD gives us flexibility but we can't stop watching episode after episode.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overrated, 21 Mar 2011
This review is from: Mad Men - Season 3 [DVD] (DVD)
I watched series one and two because they were going cheap and against my better judgment I bought series three. I have reached the conclusion that MM is really overrated. It never rises above a good soap, although it is beautifully acted and very stylish. On the first disc there are five episodes. When I got to the end of episode five I realised that nothing of any great significance had happened. There are some issues that go undeveloped such as the gay character who inadvertently outs himself to his wife and Peggy's relationship with her child. Also the civil rights issue barely makes an impact on these people's lives. I'm afraid that just as in MM1 & 2 I just don't have any feelings for any of the characters. What drives the adulterous Don?

There are a number of commentaries -some more interesting than others, and there are some good documentaries included as part of the special features. I particularly enjoyed the history behind cigarette advertising and the two part documentary about the civil rights activist Medgar Evers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go Mad Men, 14 Sep 2010
This review is from: Mad Men - Season 3 [DVD] (DVD)
This is genious entertainment. Never made better. Well maybe apart from Sopranos, but both series came from the same pot. I am forever grateful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mad Men 3 Disappoints, 26 Feb 2010
This review is from: Mad Men - Season 3 [DVD] (DVD)
Mad Men 3 is still worth watching but has slipped badly from the standards set in the first two series. Attention to detail and realistic plots were strengths of the first two series and these qualities have been lost. The Brits who have taken over the agency are absurd cartoon figures and the plots twists (having seen five episodes on TV) are becoming ever more ludicrous. There seems to be no further intention to present a plausible view of life at Stirling Cooper. Instead we now have a soap opera with the characters falling out at random. The end of series 2 was fantastic. They should have left it there.

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

Mad Men - Season 3 [DVD]
Mad Men - Season 3 [DVD] by Matthew Weiner (DVD - 2010)
14.44