5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the first one

SYNOPSIS:
Published on 5 Feb. 2013 by Sizzler

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the first one, 29 Aug. 2011
Bob (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Legend Of The Sword (The Last War Trilogy, Book 2) (In Her Name) (Kindle Edition)
I have now read all of the "In her name" books to date the next one "Dead Soul" should be coming out soon. I thought that the first "Empire" was the best with the others just not quite as good however this latest one "Legend of the Sword" is every bit as good as Empire. It is I think because there is a better balance between the Kreelans and humans with more interaction than just battles, because of this there was more time to develop characters and interrelationships, particularly between Vallentina/Scarlet & Dmitri and between Mills & Tesh-Dar. In keeping with the others this book finishes in "to be continued" mode which is a slight annoyance with the whole series, although obviously intended to be read in sequence as they are a serial rather than series and do not stand well alone this could have been helped immensely had the author included an introduction, which did not need to be long, bringing the reader up to speed if they had not read the previous one in the series.
Despite my criticism I think this is one of the best science fiction /fantasy series that I have read in a long time and look forward to reading the next one and finding more about Tesh-Dar in "Dead Soul" which I hope will not be the last book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have you ever considered whether visiting aliens to our world would be friendly or not?, 5 Sept. 2013
well I have, actually, but only because of Stephen Hawking's comment in the past in terms of should there be aliens advanced enough to visit our world would we actually be safe? Or would we be better to 'keep our heads down'? Of course, Professor Hawking's dry wit lends itself to whimsy but it does present a reality where caution is paramount to survival.

In this book's predecessor, the first book of the trilogy, First Contact, Michael Hicks presents a scenario of humans encountering an alien race and the utter destruction this event leads to for humanity. In this second book, the story continues with the aliens, the Kreelans, continuing their conquest of human space. It continues to present the complete horror of the Kreelan race and their values and develops the characters we were introduced to in the first book. The Kreelans are bound by an honour to glorify their Empress, which is marked by how they engage the human forces who come to do battle with them. The Kreelans have an ancient civilization and are cultured and also superior in attitude to other races and completely and utterly dangerous.

This book is science fiction/fantasy genres yet presents credible accounts of military strategy of a future human race that has colonized the galaxy. It is fear provoking and moving and not for those who do not wish to imagine blood and gore, because there is plenty of this. On the other hand, it describes amazing heroics on both the opposing sides of the war and in this instance it is heart warming. Very strong female characters, in addition, who fight alongside the men in the various military disciplines facing the Kreelans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two books in and I really hope the Kreelans Don't ever invade us for real, 2 Nov. 2012
It takes a lot for me to change my reading habits. I buy books for the kindle and without fail read them in the order they were downloaded, probably some form of OCD.

So having read the first book in the series, I broke with established tradition, and immediately started to read this the second book in the series.

The story continues the story of the Kreelan invasion of human occupied space, and spends quite a lot of time looking at the Warrior Priestess Tesh Da.

It's another great book to read, the story of the Kreelans is expanded upon, and with both books you get the sense that you know them just a bit better, it still does not explain why they are blood crazed maniacs, but it's helps bring a powerful story together.

The human side of things is also in good view with great stories for Sato and Marine Mills, and their strange links to the Kreelan mind. And a great character in the form of special agent Scarlet.

So book 2 of the series finished, and yes I have already started to read book three. That will end the first series, but the first book of the follow on series is already downloaded.

It's really unusual for me to read like this, but the books do grip you and I find that I just want to read more and get into the later books.

Well done to the author for bringing together a compelling story, and judging by the reviews, for providing compulsive reading for us fans.

This is one of the main reasons I like the Kindle, it's opened my reading up no end, authors I would never have heard of from browsing the bookshops are providing me with hours of enjoyment, and I thank them for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars More of the Kreelan story unfolds in this well crafted prequel - Again Outstanding, 16 Mar. 2011
M. Thompson "Mike Thompson" (London) - See all my reviews
The story of the clash of two cultures continues apace. In another well crafted and delivered story, we view the continuing lives and struggles of the main characters from the first in the series, and a few new ones. However, the main character in this story is the Kreelan priestess.

In In Her Name: First Contact the story starts to show us parts of the priestess; in this book we are treated to a concentration on her past that had its fair share of ups and downs - that we then see mirrored in In Her Name (Omnibus Edition) with Esah-Zhurah and her life.

I congratulate the author in being able to move my sympathies to be active on 'both sides' of the battle; simply because we get to understand where the Kreelans are coming from (that does not imply that I condone their actions). I found myself in several places having to sop reading to avoid any tears (I was reading at work in my lunch-break) and thinking what it would be like if I or my family were involved.

The introduction of Scarlet was interesting, however, I was expecting a confrontation from her with Tesh-Dar given the amount of training that she had gone through - maybe next time!

If you have read and enjoyed any of the author's other books, then this one will not disappoint you (it would be best though to read the In Her Name books in order).

Apparently there is to be another book to come after this one - it was due at the end of 2010, so hopefully it will be out soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bear meets the Sword, 22 Oct. 2011
Tesh-Dar second only to the Empresses herself leads her sisters against Saint Petersberg a world modelled on the Soviet society which has been secretly re-arming itself in preparation for it's own phase of empire building. When the newly formed Confederation hears news of the development of nuclear weaponry on Saint Petersberg coupled with a satellite worlds (Riga) petition to join the Confederation and break away from the totalitarian rule the battle lines are drawn human against human until Tesh-Dar makes her appearance.
In Her Name: Legend Of The Sword tells the story of the rise of Tesh-Dar from a highly skilled young warrior to becoming the High Priestess of Desh-Kar and the terrible consequences of her own weakness as she serves to not only bring honour to her Empresses but find the one soul amongst the humans who shares the Bloodsong. This second book in the Second Cycle delves more into the political and social structure of the human race which adds depth to the epic tale as well as off setting some of the carnage of both ground and space born conflicts and just as Tesh-Dar believes some of the actions may seem bizarre and well stupid they are very human, unfortunately:)
A worthy addition to the In Her Name series which not only builds on existing characters but introduces some new ones, not every one lives and not everyone dies in an heroic manner but that's probably the reality of war but we still fight because for Humans and Krellans there is no other option.

4.0 out of 5 stars For sci fi lovers and even non sci fi fans who just like a good old fashioned swashbuckling adventure tale., 12 Oct. 2013
Extremely immersive, fast paced and action packed, with gory plots and sub plots. The story seems to carry the reader along at break neck speed from one crisis to another or near disastrous adventure to another. It is extremely compelling on the one hand but it also can get bogged down in the mystical world and history of the main protagonists..the Kreelans which seems to put the brakes on the story a bit to hard. However that said, without this background the reasons behind the adversarial Kreelans, ideology,their manic desire to sacrifice themselves, and cause seemingly mindless carnage, suffering, death and violence would seem rather, well...pointless, to say the least. The main characters are easy to recognize. Most sci fi fans have come across the these heroes and villains in many books, films and TV shows. The author himself confesses to be a Star Wars/Trek fan, and this shows in some of the personalities of the main characters. Even the aliens seem some what familiar to those blue skinned bipeds of Avatar fame. But I think the books were written before that movie was made, so just coincidence then. I have not, as yet, read all of the books...six in total, plus two books that tell of the Kreelans and their rise to infamy, but I have purchased them all and I am eager to read through to the conclusive climax.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Sci-Fi, 10 Mar. 2013
I used to be a voracious Sci-Fi reader in my younger days but lost interest in later years as the stories became similar and the quality of newer stuff seemed poor compared to Asimov, Heinlein, Clark, etc. I eventually stopped reading anything but the days newspaper. Recently, having acquired a smart phone with Kindle capability, I tried a few freebie online books just to see what was out there but didn't find anything particularly special. And then I stumbled on the In Her Name books by Michael R Hicks. I read First Contact first, enjoyed it immensely and immediately bought the other two in The Last War trilogy. I devoured them quickly and realised that these books had reignited my voracious appetite for great science fiction and trust me, this is great science fiction! I subsequently devoured the Redemption trilogy which I also enjoyed immensely. I have now purchased the first two books in the First Empress trilogy and can't wait to get stuck in. All of these books are brilliant but be warned, as one of the other reviewers has already said, once you read one you will not be satisfied until you have read them all! Thank You Mr. Hicks for restoring my love of science fiction and enjoyment of a great read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Legend of the Sword, 5 Feb. 2013
SYNOPSIS:
This is the second book in the first (chronologically) trilogy about the Kreelan war. I would suggest reading the first book before this one as it will make far more sense. It continues following some of the characters from the first book, while introducing new ones. The actual plot is not that dissimilar- Kreelans invade, humans fight back, just set on a different planet, the war continues.

PROS:
As with the first book the writing style carries you along, the characters are engaging, the battles are exciting. This book explains more about Tesh-Dar's background and helps give more insight to the Kreelan POV.

CONS:
None of this feels very original, the plot, characters and even aliens have been seen before and St. Petersburg was a disappointing stereotype, but none of this seems to matter when reading it.

OTHER:
This series reminds me a little of Peter Hamilton, though I can't quite put my finger on why, and the insectile/reptilian aliens bring Raymond E Feist's Cho-ja to mind. This series feel like a fun, exciting indulgence and I look forward to seeing where it goes.

5.0 out of 5 stars something different., 8 July 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed the whole "In Her Name" series, and having just finished the last one I feel I might have to read them again from the begining.
I must praise the author's method of giving the first book of each series away free, as a means of allowing readers the chance to get a feel of the style and substance of the stories without commitment. Worked for me. I bought the lot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Legend of the sword., 26 Jun. 2014
A cracking read that is informative about all the character's past and a constant bringing in of New ones that pushes the story allowing at a cracking pace.you have not only a connection with the humans but all so with the aliens who tend to remind you of several types of human warrior classes of the past all mixed into one.Can't wait for the next book..