Format: Audio CDChange

on 25 July 2010
In principle, the package as a whole is worth about four stars:
You get four classic albums and a decent one at a reasonable price (though not as cheaply as some of the other titles in the series).
I'm sure I'm not the only one who would have preferred Nyro's first five albums rather than albums 2 - 6, but as "More than a New Discovery" was originally on a different label, I guess the present selection makes sort of sense too.
The covers are reproduced nicely (and the first four are among my favorite covers ever, simple and beautiful). But absolutely no extras: no booklet or any other inserts, and if you go to the website indicated on the box, you won't find any info there either!
As customary with this series, there is at least one typing error on the box.

So why only two stars?
Because nobody at Sony made any effort whatsoever to find a decent sounding version of what I consider Laura's absolute masterpiece, Christmas and the Beads of Sweat. I find the old version they used practically unlistenable, with muffled vocals and generally muddy sound. This is unforgivable, because the Japanese remaster from a couple of years ago sounds fine (I finally had to get that version AFTER shelling out for this box set, which I bought under the impression that ALL five albums would be remastered). If you know the Japanese remaster (or the original vinyl, or the songs featured on the Stoned Soul Picnic compilation), you know that Laura's incredible vocal presence is essential to Christmas and the Beads of Sweat, and without it, the album loses a lot of its intensity and power.
44 comments45 of 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 September 2011
I bought this collection just for Smile. Had it on vinyl but found it really hard to find on cd at a 'normal' price. So I for one am happy that it was included here. Sound-wise.... unlike another reviewer I think they all sound great. Christmas should be remastered but it still sounds brilliant. I consider her two masterpieces to be Eli & New Your Tendaberry but having been a fan for over 30 years I'm biased when I say that all her albums are great. However, for me these cds are her best. Smile represented a shift towards a more jazz-pop sound which sorta came full circle with Angel In The Dark. Buy this series and you will never regret it. There will never be anyone like her.
on 19 November 2012
I discovered Laura Nyro at the same time I discovered Nick Drake and Tim Buckley.
The so - called "trilogy" of Eli, Tendaberry & Christmas were rarely off my turntable in those days. My absolute favourite is Tendaberry. Her later albums like Smile didn't fire me up so much but they still embarrassed the competition. Not great per se but easily preferable to many of the omnipresent singer - songwriters of that era.
If you're not familiar with her music or know of her because of cover versions of her songs then I thoroughly recommend this.
on 29 February 2012
I first heard Laura Nyro's work courtesy of a vinyl "sampler" album featuring Beads of Sweat more years ago than I care to count. I followed it up by buying the album and then "First Songs." Don't ask me why it's taken me so long to follow it up by buying this bargain set, but I'm so glad I have. What a performer! You get the impression that LN put every ounce of her creativity into each song. I can see why she never "mainstreamed", her music is too complex for that and demands close listening. Background music it ain't! Sometimes it drives, sometimes it moves, but it's always rewarding if you commit to it totally.
To compliment Kurt's excellent review of this set I thought a track listing and which CDs are included would be of use.
I agree that this is an expensive set compare to others in the series.

The Cds are

6. Timer
7. Stoned Soul Picnic
8. Emmie
9. Woman's Blues
10. Once It Was Alright Now (Farmer Joe)
11. December's Boudoir

5. Stormy Love
6. The Cat Song
7. Midnite Blue
8. Smile
0Comment5 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 April 2013
I really enjoyed this set although it's not easy to get into some of the material that just sounds old. So many artists have copied Laura Nyro that her freshness doesn't come through , you have to be in the mood but when that mood hits you are in for a fantastic ride.
0Comment3 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 March 2011
Laura Nyro:

* Eli And The Thirteenth Confession
* New York Tendaberry
* Christmas And The Beads Of Sweat
* Gonna Take A Miracle
* Smile
0Comment5 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse