5.0 out of 5 stars solid product
Published 21 months ago by rush

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not enough for the price
Pros

- exceptionally good build quality and material

- very good isolation from noise in environments like the train or the underground

Cons

- they clamp the head too firmly, and they don't even become a bit easier after some usage, so even though they are around-ear after a while they become uncomfortable and heavy

-...
Published 23 months ago by The Disturbance in The Force...

5.0 out of 5 stars solid product, 20 Sep 2012
This review is from: Panasonic RP-HC700 Noise Cancelling Headphones (Electronics)
I am a frequent air traveler, and I do work in a noisy office (people, fans, air conditioner etc.). I have owned this product for 1.5 months as of now, and I must say that I am very pleased with my purchase. The noise of the fans is drastically reduced, and with the music on, I simply do not hear the people talking in the office. Even with the noise cancelling feature off, they do provide a reasonable quality for both sound and noise insulation. The sound quality definitely increases when you turn NC on.

pros:

- Very good noise cancellation. On air, they let me sleep for hours without discomfort. The engine noise is reduced to a non-disturbing level. Turning music on helps further.
- Good sound quality. It's like a family reunion where everybody wears suits. They will recognize the your favourite songs, but they will sound very different. Classy.
- Dead battery does not stop the music.
- Long battery life, though I never calculated it. With daily use (avg. 2-3 hours of noise cancelling on), I think I get a two-week span. I only had to replace batteries twice since I bought them.

cons:
- Weak bass. For chillout, they are perfectly fine. They will not satisfy heavy bass lovers.
- Ear cups a bit small. I have small ears, so they fit me well, but it might bother some people.

Now, comparison with Bose QC-15. A friend of mine in has them, so I had a chance to use both in the office. As far as the noise cancellation goes, these two perform similarly. It's not that I am praising my own stuff, but I did not sense an noticeable difference between the two. Panasonic insulates sound better with noise cancelling off. However, Bose might perform better in airplanes or very noisy environments. I did not test that.

Sound quality, however, is better in Bose. The sound is more crisp. I can not say Bose is far better, but you do notice a quality difference when you use both headphones. But this product is very very good. Note that I am not an audophile. I generally listen to slow music, and not at very high levels. They are built for me.

I also compared the noise cancellation feature with Beats headphones. I tested both in a very noisy music shop. They are way too expensive, and Panasonic might have performed better even WITHOUT being turned on. They were a total disappointment in that sense.

Bottom line is this: The noise cancellation is very good, build quality is solid, and I like the sound. I would definitely recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for long flights, 15 May 2012
I bought these as I was about to fly to Australia from the UK, and wanted something to break the monotony of the engine noise.

I was considering the Bose alternatives, but at 300 quid couldn't justify them.

The 700s performed admirably - the sound quality is top notch, not far behind my Sennheiser HD-280s if at all, and the noise cancelling reduces the engine noise down to the point where you can actually hear the music without having to turn it up to deafening volume.

The batteries were nearing the end of their life after 2x11hr flights, but always carry a spare set anyway. The headphones work without batteries anyway, just without NR.

I also like the hard case that they come with - it's small enough not to take up too much room in your hand luggage, but protects your investment.

Finally, I found them extremely comfortable, even when wearing glasses - 4/5hrs at a time was no problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Silence is golden, 30 Dec 2010
I had listened to Bose noise cancelling headphones and was very impressed but was reluctant to spend the asking price (over three times the price of the Panasonic RP-HC700E). I am relieved now that I held off because the RP-HC700E headphones are just as good if not better. The noise cancelling is amazing and they are very comfortable to wear. They come with a sturdy travel case and a detachable 3.5mm jack plug lead (to allow them to be used solely as a noise cancelling headset without music) and a small jack plug adapter for use on a plane. The style is a little retro but still quite smart and the blue LED on light is very subtle and I am quite happy with the overall look.

The sound when used with my iPod is excellent with deep bass and crisp treble and much better than the in-ear ones that came with it.

I really like these headphones and don't want to say anything bad about them but in for the sake of fairness here are my minor niggles.

The lead has to be removed before they can put back in their case. They only miss by about 5mm. I would have preferred to leave the lead in all the time.

Fitting a battery requires removing the whole ear pad section. It clips on and off pretty easily but if anything goes wrong with the clips it will cause a serious problem that would be much worse than just losing a small battery compartment cover. With sensible use I can't see this ever happening.

As I said these are minor things and not worth detracting from the score, which based on performance (to me, the most important factor), is five stars. I cannot recommend them higher.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT HEADPHONES & GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY, 5 Sep 2012
Ms Helen Manners "Zaphel" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I wanted a decent set of noise cancelling headphones and I was prepared to pay a lot of money for a good set. My main criteria was that they really did cancel out a lot of noise, but that were comfortable, lightweight and have a good sound quality. I can honestly say that these headphones have given me all of the things that I wanted, at a fraction of the price that I thought I would need to pay. I was considering the more expensive branded options, such as Bose, etc. but I'm not sorry that I didn't spend the extra money - there was really no need.

4.0 out of 5 stars Noise cancelling, 17 Aug 2011
I used these on the long haul flights for my summer holiday (just got back). They were very good and certainly cut out much of the background noise enabling some sleep and enjoyment of listening to music and a film.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not enough for the price, 15 Aug 2012
Pros

- exceptionally good build quality and material

Cons

- it's impossible to leave them around the neck even for a couple of minutes, they impede any movement because of the shape , the size and the hard headband

- they are noisy outdoors when there is even the slightest wind: the air passing around them makes a strong rumble; this may seem contradictory at first, but that's the unfortunate reality, so they are not good for talking with the phone outdoors

So, with regret, I had to return them.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Sense than Money., 27 Jun 2012
Looked at the Bose and some others before deciding on these, like others I would find it hard to justify spending any more on what may just be a brand, or in discernible difference. I wasn't disappointed. Obviously some noise will get through, but what was great was the planes constant drone which was all but removed. I ended up using them as ear muffs with the noise cancelling function turned on, just to enjoy some silence on long flights. If you think you can hear background noise through these, (or other noise cancelling head phones for that matter,) check the interference isn't coming from the planes own jack point. My flights had interference from the in flight movie point, which could make you think there was a fault with the head phones. Pull out the socket, or plug into a iPod, and you will hear a big difference in sound quality and static! Even after comparing the price to the Bose they aren't cheap, but are relatively compact and unlike others, come with a hard case, so you don't need to worry so much about breaking them. They also have a standard jack into the head phone (one side) so, if you have ever destroyed a set of head phones just because the cord got snagged, you are safe with these. Also, they just take a single AAA standard battery, easy to replace, but lasted beyond all flights so far anyway.

The only comment I would make, is what the 22dB reduction means, one passive set I looked at said it blocked 32dB without using noise reduction, so in theory they would do more, but what does the 22dB here actually mean? Is it in addition to the basic properties of the set? (Value unknown) I think maybe yes, but it would be nice to have had this clarified in the text above...

If you want a good quality set, with a reasonable price tag, then your senses won't be disappointed...

5.0 out of 5 stars A great set of headphones, 13 Mar 2011
I use these at work where the constant drone of the air conditioning noise is eliminated with the noise reduction active. No complaints over battery usage as I am typically getting a couple of weeks per battery.

A little expensive for a pair of headphone, but in this case, definitely worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars panasonic RP-HC700 Noise cancelling headphones, 24 Oct 2012
I bought these 3 months ago for just under 90 sterling.
I was looking for a decent pair of headphones for quite a while, looking at the options around the 50-150 pound range, including sennheiser, akg etc. I wanted to get a pair by a company that specialise in headphones. But having seen the various reviews on these, i decided to fork out. My initial concern was the development of the noise cancelling element would have an effect on the sound quality output as development expense would retract from the sound quality.
This is definately not the case, the audio is delivered in a VERY detailed manner, treble is clear and very accurate, I noticed others mention the bass is not very prevelant, this is not true at all in my experience. The bass is again very accurate with a clear define from the rest of the music-with NO blooming or smudging. If you PREFER bass heavy delivery, perhaps with modern dance music, or drum and bass, these will not be for you.
I prefer progressive rock/metal, acoustic, jazz fusion etc. (listening to Katatonias new album dead end kings as I write-and the sound is impeccable-of course take into account the production on a brand new album of course).
I use these on a seperate system at home from a marantz pm66 ki signature amp (with a decent extension cable and adapter), for music, and games -my tv inputs to the amp. And also with a creative zen xfi-2 when in work or out and about.
I think this is the best thing about these 'phones-they work well on a good amp, and are excellent with a portable-the volume is fine-no need for a portable amp of course.
So to summerise the sound- extremely detailed and accurate, clarity and seperation is great. Worth spending much more than what i paid, for the sound alone. - and no need to have the noise cancelling function turned on to use, a nice SENSIBLE touch.
They are very comfortable after a while, took a month or so to get to the point where the pressure was pratically gone on the sides of you head, with the result they start to feel weightless.
And finally the noise cancelling element-this is not something i had any previous experience with, so I didn't know what to expect. This is my experience-
In an office environment with a loud air conditioner and lots of mumbling voice hubub-when turned on (no music) the drone of the air conditioner is completely negated, voices are lowered slightly but not much, and the biggest surprise of all, at 11am there is a fire alarm test for 10 secs or so, with these on the alarm bell is silenced completely, i was stunned (dunno that thats a great thing in itself, sure ill notice people running if it actually happens!)
so basically any constant noise holding the same pitch is silenced, awesome stuff.. noise cancelling lasts along time on the two aaa batteries, a couple of weeks with i suppose an hour or two on average a day. update: they come with an airplane socket adapter, so no need to buy one seperately, another nice touch.
well worth buying even at double the price i reckon, an excellent pair of headphones, I struggle to think of any negative at all...
hope my review helped some of you ....

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 1 Jan 2012
They are comfortable, they come in a very handy case which is strong and it also fits everything in nicely. They come with an airplane adaptor so you don't have to use the headphones on the plane (which don't block out the noise) however these do.. They block out surrounding noises well and are comfortable over-ear headphones.. Exactly what you want... Well worth the money.

Panasonic RP-HC700 Noise Cancelling Headphones