Nier (Xbox 360)
Platform: Xbox 360Change
Price:£22.79+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 24 April 2010
Nier seems to me to be a somewhat messy offspring of lost of great and legendary games, mainly resident evil , god of war but most of all zelda. The game while good doesn't seem particularily original in any repsects. When compared with any other square enix can it is totally different and original but with many other games it just repeating whats already been done before but unfortunately not as well as it has been done before.
Many things about it though to merit praise as overall i quite enjoyed the game, for example the soundtrack is very epic and suits the gameplay perfectly, its one of those soundtracks that doesn't just play while you play the game , the soundtrack is part of the game and it enhances it rather than is just there because silence would totally suck.
Also very suprisingly it has a sense of humour, you collect grimoires throughout the game and each book offers certain powers to Nier, each book is obtained by defeating a boss, but, the books are alive and can have at times some hilarious banter with Nier about why you are doing certain side-quests instead of pushing through with the story mode, its rather refreshing to hear someone in a game at times reflect the players own thoughts and frustrations at what you feel in the game is unnecessary.
There are also a lot of side-quests, to some this mightnt be a big deal but i like having something extra to do in a game and not just bomb through the story.
The story itself starts off excellent and keeps its pace until about half way through, when questions that need answered aren't getting answered and it becomes very difficult to fully understand what is happening , but apparently if you play it through multiple times the whole story will get explained but to be honest i don't think i would be willing to play it through again just to get the whole picture when i should fully understand it after one playthrough.
The gameplay is rather good though, mixing magic with hack and slash is quite unusual but works well and the camera never gets messed up like i know it can in so many games so thats another thing they managed to get spot on in Nier.
Graphically its terrible, definately not worthy of a modern console, it has completely fallen behind and it looks horrible.
Overall its good , not great ,but good enough for 4*. But it took me 25 hours to complete it, with doing quite a few side-quests , so in that respect its good, i hate buying a game and only playing for 10 hours before its exhausted itself. So overall i would recommend Nier.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 3 May 2011
I loved the game and every aspect of it. The graphics weren't as bad as I had expected based on other reviews I'd read before purchase.
Well, the weapon section of the combat system could be better I guess, but I loved the magic parts. At times it got confusing to figure out the maps and quests, but I' easily confused so I'm used to that - and despite the small flaws, the story had me completely hooked and I'd recommend it to everyone.
Just to show my general taste in games, other games I love include Assassin's Creed, Dragon Age, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and Fable.
I completed Nier in about 20 hours or so, could have done it both faster or slower; that really depends on how many sidequests you feel like doing. Usually in games I do all the sidequests I can find, but in Nier it was mainly based on gathering materials and such, and I don't have the patience for that. That would be something that'd annoy me in most games, but even so, Nier is great and very much to my liking.
So, to sum up: loved it!
on 3 August 2010
This is a unique game. It's a cross between action rpg, hack and slash, side scrolling beat-em up and at times even a top down shooter. Consider it Devil May Cry meets Monster Hunter meets Geometry Wars meets Strider meets a ton of other games. There is a bit of tedium to parts of the game with missions like "kill 10 sheep". The game takes a bit of time to get going but stick with it - it gets good at the half way mark.
I'm not sure why people kept complaining it was too hard. Big bunch of babies. I completed it on normal and found it almost too easy. I had to put it up to hard mode to get a challenge. Also, all of the endings are fantastic (there are four endings). There is definitely an incentive to replay the game by continuing on from your completed save to see the extra cutscenes as well as see the other endings.
Tiny niggles aside, good gameplay, epic boss battles with a good story and interesting characters.
on 21 January 2014
There is nothing about this game I dislike. Absolutely nothing.
There are also a few things that set it apart from many other games.

Audio: 10/10
+The soundtrack is absolutely wonderful.
+The voice acting is very impressive.
+The sound effects are satisfying. Think 'getting a hit marker' sound from Call of Duty satisfying.

Gameplay: 8/10
+The way the game handles (controls, combat, etc) is well executed.
+Finding/upgrading weapons.
+Imbuing your attacks with additional effects via collectibles.
+Combat felt rewarding, and spells were fun to use.
+The boss fights didn't feel like repetitive 'hit the weak spot' copy and paste jobs.
+Some parts of the game have drastically altered gameplay, which makes for a refreshing experience.
-The control scheme overall took a little bit of getting used to.
-Whilst possible to defeat strong enemies at a low level, it relied on extremely tedious and sometimes frustrating tactics.
-THE FISHING MINIGAME IS VERY POORLY EXPLAINED. Once I found a YouTube video telling me exactly how to fish, it was rewarding and enjoyable. I was almost single-handedly put off of the game because of the fishing minigame and how it was badly handled by the in-game (and manual) instructions.

Storyline: 9/10
+The game doesn't pull emotional punches. There are a lot of moments that tug on the heartstrings or drive one to the edge of their seat (and maybe their tears).
+It's an easy story to follow, and doesn't require too much thought to properly enjoy. If you prefer detective/mystery games, you might find the story a bit bland.
+A multitude of lightly touched-upon characters that leave you feeling a mixture of satisfaction and despair at the lack of closure. I personally found almost every character remarkably interesting in some way. (My favourite was probably the Lighthouse Lady.)
-The first half of the game has a lot of story, but if you're a perfectionist (or enjoy achievements) there are a lot, and I mean A LOT of fetching/grinding/seemingly illogical tasks set out before you. (Collecting mutton, 'farming' minigame, 'fishing' minigame, etc...)
on 20 February 2011
When you first look at the character design it is not very attractive. However, never judge a book by its cover. The game is actually superb. The story is unique, and so is the characters. What more is the things that is going on in the game does not seems like what it is.

What I find it very good in the game is actually the culture that was set in the game. It is really very different. It touches on different faces of the society , which is something more subtle and close. Some culture were even new and refreshing unlike many games out there. While many developers try to create a new world, you can still feel a heavy resemblance to their own pop culture which only base on some generic things and cool stuff, making it feeling abit superficial. I did not despise the pop culture but such difference is very much welcomed! And Nier offers it!

Besides, the music is awesome, it suited the environment so well, that you can almost feel with it.

The side quests has its own mini story too. Each with their own tale and morality to tell. Some are touching, while some are very human. The type of job can range from fishing to killing monsters. The colour in the game might not be very flashy, but trust me some of the scenes still has its own beauty and it actually fits the plot just fine.

Not only that, the dialogue going on in the story can be quite funny at times too. Moreover, the voice acting is actually the best I have ever heard so far. The voices suit the characters in the game very very well indeed and I even felt it is actually better than the Japanese voices.

The gameplay mechanism is easy to master but some boss fight can be quite challenging. However, there are times when you require some leveling still, personally I enjoy the action pretty much. The hack and slash can be quite fun sometimes even though it can be a little repetitive. But hey, many games had had their own tiny flaws and Nier can't escape from it as well. Nevertheless, repetitiveness does not really matter at the end of the day. All you want to know is what happened to the characters. Beside, this is one and only game out there that dares to come up with unique ideas and it is actually fun too.

So, the bottom line is, give it a try. It is worth your every penny especially at this price. All I can say is, the 2 companies especially Cavier did a great job! Enjoy the game! :)
on 20 May 2012
I don't normally write reviews but this game deserves one..

This game doesn't boast fantastic graphics but what it does have is an exceptional story, it doesn't have the general turn based RPG battle system like a lot of Square Enix classics i.e Final Fantasy, its more of a hack and slash style game. The thing I love about the game is the free roaming, you don't have to just follow the main storyline you can venture off to farm some items to upgrade your weapons, visit the villages to see if they have any quests for you or even do a bit of fishing whilst your waiting for the seeds in your realtime garden to grow! I'll be honest this game definately takes time to get into so be sure to give it a chance and you won't be disapointed with the emotionally gripping storyline and superb soundtrack!

If you enjoyed the Squaresoft classic Kingdom of Hearts you'll enjoy this game.

If you only like Call of Duty and other general FPS games don't touch this with a barge pole.
on 30 April 2011
I had originally overlooked this as being a sub par fighting fantasy clone, but it came up as a suggested link with another game purchase and I noted the decent star rating it had.
After reading the reviews on here I gave it a shot as a second hand purchase.
I have to say, I was really pleased with it. Okay, it's not THE best game available - there are a couple of niggles with the side quests (sometimes hard to find where to turn them in, or exactly what is needed to complete them). Also, the movement of the hero was a bit irritating, as he seemed to run like he has wet himself.
These niggles aside, the gameplay is standard jap RGP fare - kill things, level up, kill bigger things. The story however, is extremely good, with some nice plot twists (possibly anticipated if you play more of the traditional japanese RPGs).
While some of the earlier parts drag a little bit, once you get companions, the game moves up a gear and becomes more of a "just one more battle, THEN I turn it off" thing.
You can issue orders to team mates and there is a large arsenal of weapons to collect and upgrade, but I didn't need the team commands or more than one upgrade for the biggest sword you can buy.

All in all a very enjoyable little game; it won't change the way you view RPGs (like Bioshock may have done) but you will probably miss the characters (some of them) when you have finished it, which is a lot more than many of the current games.
on 11 October 2010
When I saw this game here on amazon I thought "oh this seems like a nice game".
And when I started playing it... I was like hypnotized from the beginning!
The story is so amazingly deep, and the soundtrack is just WONDERFUL!
The fighting system is also really great and the side quests are also pretty funny.
The achievements were also lots of fun, and not entierly impossible.
There is nothing about this game that I'm dissapointed with.
This must be the best game I've played since Kingdom Hearts 2 or Ocarina of Time.
It really is that great! So if you have the money to buy it, buy it!
on 4 May 2010
WARNING! - If you like your RPGs to be easy, this game is not for you, if however you prefer a challenge and the feeling of achievement that goes with it, then read on.

Nier is hard, even on Normal difficulty (but you can drop or increase the difficulty setting if you want). The save points are far between so you can game for almost an hour then die, and you have to go back to your last save point. Later on, when you know where the save points are, you get into the habit of backtracking and saving often to avoid frustration. This is one of the reasons I like this game, it is difficult, it's not the standard 'brain-dead-no skill required' rpg that most fit into nowadays. This is tough, and so when you do figure out how to kill that boss and succeed (usually not the first time!) you gain an immense sense of achievement.

The graphics are high-end PS2 standard, apart from the more detailed character models, the scenery however is stunning and very reminiscent of Ico or Shadow of the Colossus (two of my favourite games).

The side quests can be laborious fetch quests, but they extend the gameplay beyond the usual '6 hours' or so that most games today provide in their single player campaigns.

Combat is superb, but complicated, it takes a while to get to grips with it, but once you do it is very rewarding and responsive. I have yet to fail to figure out how to dispense with a boss, but I have only fought about 5 so far having played about 8 hours in total.

Mini games are present too, growing vegetables and fishing included, and later on you get to ride giant boars as steeds, although they are difficult to control when they are at charging speed.

Just a couple of contradictions from previous reviews: There are not several books in this game, mainly just one - Grimoire Weiss (your book), whose speech is very witty and entertaining. When you conquer boss monsters Weiss gains additional 'sealed verses (magic spells)'. The second book is the Grimoire Noire, its nemesis, who I have yet to meet. Secondly the side quests are not 'pointless' as there are rewards to be gained from completing them (mainly money).

As usual there are shops and inns available where you can purchase medicines, weapons etc. Weapons can be upgraded with the necessary materials for a price, and the soundtrack is very atmospheric and of high quality.

One final word of warning though, the female character Kaine, who joins your team to fight beside you, is unbelievably foul mouthed. She utters the 'F-word' constantly! How this game received a 15 rating is beyond me!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 October 2010
Having missed out on this game on release,I finally decided to pick it up to keep me busy while I wait for Deadly Premonition to be released...If I'd known what a treat I was in for,I would've picked it up much earlier.The story revolves around a father trying to find a cure for his daughter,who has fallen victim to the 'black scrawl'.It becomes very compelling,full of twists and turns.The gameplay is varied,from hack 'n slash to side-scrolling,it will ensure you'll never get bored.The thing I want to praise the most though is the soundtrack,which mirrors the action perfectly.Haunting melodies create a foreboding atmosphere when needed,and other times it will be so calm that you feel yourself becoming worryingly relaxed.All in all,I could not recommend Nier enough.One of the sleeper hits of 2010!