5.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable quality sound; smaller than they look
Published on 20 Oct 2011 by Andy_atGC

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for the Money
Published on 18 Oct 2011 by S. Ward

5.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable quality sound; smaller than they look, 20 Oct 2011
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Creative A40 2.0 desktop speaker system (Personal Computers)
Unusually for a mini-speaker at this price level, these units appear to each contain two speakers. They are also fitted with a power switch and a volume control. The sound levels produced are reasonable to quite loud without being deafening. The quality of sound is more than acceptable but will not produce the deep bass or extreme highs of a 2.1 system; it would be near to impossible within the size constraints. The sound is considerably better than would be produced from most laptops' internal speakers.

Their physical size and desktop footprint is quite small and locating them should not present much of a problem for most users. All wiring is permanent and a respectable allowance of about 1.2 metres is provided between units, such that one could be placed at the far corners of an office desk, for example. The USB and audio leads are also respectably long. To Creative's credit, the units are correctly marked as 'Left' and 'Right' which avoids the sometimes experienced misleading audio obtained when the unit polarity is reversed.

I have seen these sometimes described as USB speakers. Do not be misled, they are not; USB powered, definitely, but they still require connection to the speaker/headphone socket.

Good value for money and about as good as you could reasonably expect at the price level.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for the Money, 18 Oct 2011
S. Ward (UK) - See all my reviews
These are cheap, and so I did not expect too much. I was right. On the plus side, they only need a USB connection for power and a phono connection - no mains lead. However, it is still two leads. They are very light and the sound quality is pretty tinny - a step up from standard built-in laptop speakers but not really something for music. I just bought them for an old PC I bought for £50 for occasional use in the spare room, so they fit the bill for me. I might pay a bit more next time (I have £80 Logitech Z10s on our main computer which are, not surprisingly, miles better).

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain, 26 Oct 2011
Not bad sound for fairly small speakers and they free up a socket taken up by my old speakers.

I would go for a slightly higher spec if I was planning to listen to a lot of music or watch films but ideal for everyday use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good value...., 30 Dec 2012
Very good value for money at under £11 including postage. I bought the speakers to plug into the phone socket on a 22" TV which I received as a gift.
It was very straightforward - just 'plug and play - and the speakers have made a significant inprovement on the poor sound quality which the smaller TV's seem invariably to produce. There is a slight buzz auduble from the speakers when the volume is turned right down (otherwise 5-star) but this is not audible when the speakers are being used for their purpose.
Speakers also look very neat - would recommend.

JB

3.0 out of 5 stars good for price but have some white noise, 13 Feb 2013
good speakers for the price when there is something being played through them, however during quiet play and when im playing no music there is quite a signifciant backgorund white noise

3.0 out of 5 stars Summery, 21 Sep 2012
So i bought these speakers as temporary ones until I could purchase a better pair. I find the speakers have a reasonably decent sound quality for their price and I am quite happy whilst playing music or games etc. They are definitely a step up from built in laptop speakers, my only problem with them is there is a sort of loud crackling sound from them. its not super loud, but enough for me to have to turn them off when I'm not particularly using them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little speakers!, 20 July 2012
R Fuller (Weymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
After my last set of Creative speakers failed, I immediately sought a same-brand replacement.

My previous set was a 2.1 system of quite a high spec however since I bought them, my use of the PC dropped from "full media system" to "occasional gaming PC with sporadic music playing". As a result I just wanted a pair of cheap yet decent speakers.

Despite being USB powered, these little things deliver great (and powerful) sound for what I need. The lack of a sub-woofer means the bass is lacking compared to what I am used to however far better than other USB speakers I have used/seen.

If you want some cheap but decent speakers for a PC or small TV then look no further!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Value For Money!, 6 April 2012
If you're looking for a cheap pair of speakers for your pc or laptop for just over a tenner then look no further. These little speakers are fantastic value for money and have magnetic shielding to avoid any distortion. Sounds quality is great, am exceptionally pleased with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value speakers, 9 Mar 2012
For the price I think these are extremely good value and unless you need spectacular sound will be perfectly adequate. The volume can be turned up to a level that 99% of people would never need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable sound, 23 Jun 2011
P. Adey "Panda" (South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I have just received these speakers and I cannot believe the quality of sound that I am hearing, especially as they are only USB powered. All the pundits say that to get good quality you need to go to mains powered units, well this just disproves that theory.
I am a bit of a purist when it comes to Hi-Fi and I've just sold my Garrard 301 deck and SME tone arm, so I know what I am talking about.
I only listen to classical music and that is quite searching and demanding on speakers and I am amazed by these little wonders, I would recommend them to anyone.

Creative A40 2.0 desktop speaker system