5.0 out of 5 stars An actually unique crime novel...
Published 23 months ago by Liz Wilkins

2.0 out of 5 stars A Big Disapointment
Published 16 months ago by voluntarystress

5.0 out of 5 stars An actually unique crime novel..., 7 April 2013
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Chasing the Dead: David Raker Novel #1 (David Raker Series) (Kindle Edition)
I picked this up after a recommendation from a friend, expecting to find another good,if not shiny new, addition to the crime fiction genre. I was wrong. The premise for the story is fairly straight forward - David Raker, ex journalist, has kind of fallen into the career of finding missing children. Those who the Police may not prioritise for whatever reason, David does. He is very successful at it. His wife having recently passed away, he is unsure whether or not he is going to continue...until a friend who worked at the hospital where his wife was cared for asks him to find her son. There is a slight issue - he died some time ago in a car accident. Here are the things I loved about this book - Firstly, David Raker is an excellent character. Yes Mr Weaver draws some idea's from the "character traits for crime novels" standard list but mostly David is his own man. Secondly, the book is perfectly paced - with action where action is needed and a more sedate "humming along" just when you need to get your breath back. The pages practically turn themselves. And lastly, the "mystery" is wonderfully imagined...I don't think I've seen a similar plot resolution in all my years reading Crime Fiction (although I'm guessing someone, somewhere will correct me!) and that made it an absolute joy for me. Oh and the twist in the tale was an actual twist not one of those ones that you will know all along. I thought I saw where it was going but I was off down the wrong road entirely - Heading for Cornwall when I should have been heading for Scotland so to speak. So Yay! Great read, and because I'm a bit late to the party, I don't have to wait for the next one. Bliss.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, had me hooked from beginning to end, 18 July 2012
This review is from: Chasing the Dead (Paperback)
First off, I don't understand these 1 and 2 star reviews. This book had me hooked from the first page, to the point where I was reading while cooking the dinner as I literally couldn't put it down. Yes, it's far fetched, but its written in a way that makes you believe that these things could happen - in my opinion, this is what a good work of fiction is all about! I loved the clues that were dropped in throughout and how it tied up nicely in the end. As for people saying they didn't care about any of the characters - I thought Raker was great, I loved his voice and I'm hoping to see development of the relationship between Raker and Liz in the next two books in the series (which I have just bought). The violence was no worse than most other crime novels I read - I suppose it just comes down to personal taste in the end! Personally, I hated finishing this book because I enjoyed it so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Calvary Project, 30 Mar. 2013
This is the first book in the David Raker series, bought to my notice through Amazon's Kindle Daily Deal. His second book was on special at 99p and based on other reviews I purchased all the David Raker books. So far, I've not regretted my purchase.

The first 40 % was a little slow and understandably sets the scene. It relates how Mary approaches David (an ex journalist and amateur missing persons searcher) to find her son Alex, who she claims to have seen in a London street five years after his death. David agrees to take on the missing person case as he also tries to come to terms with the death of his wife. Subconsciously he seeks parallels between Mary and his own loss, hoping that if he finds Alex, he could somehow resurrect his wife.

Little does he realise that the search for one missing person can cause grave danger to himself. As the plot unfolds, David's targets become increasingly sinister as he gets caught in a deadly game of cat and mouse.

Weaver skilfully conveys a sense of imminent danger as each page progresses and the violence and gore amplifies David's hopelessness and seemingly inevitable demise. Unseen twists in the book progress with each chapter leaving a surprising conclusion. More importantly, all lose ends are coherently tied up leaving you eagerly awaiting the next book.

I'm starting book two next...The Dead Tracks.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Big Disapointment, 13 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Chasing the Dead (Paperback)
This is the first Tim Weaver book about his character, David Racker, a journalist, who has turned to finding missing people. I ordered his first three books on the strength of his fourth book, "Never Coming Back",just out, which is a fantastic read and can't be recommended highly enough. If it hadn't have been for that book I would probably have applied my page 50 rule and abandoned it at that point.., but I kept going thinking it had to improve. It didn't. It was just plain silly. Nastiness and brutality for the sake of it. Perhaps the author should have checked with medical opinion to see just how much damage the human body can sustain and still keep going. Not as much as he makes his hero suffer I bet.

Having ordered the next two books I shall read them and hope that they rise to the extreemly high level of his fourth book.

5.0 out of 5 stars totally gripping fast pace, 23 Mar. 2013
Mr. Robin J. Cleverley "rob" (Coulsdon Surrey) - See all my reviews
I very stupidly read Tim weaver!s books in reverse but it didn't matter because he explains who the characters are in all 3 books and in some way I enjoyed reading his first book last. Chasing the dead was excellent and what a great film it would make. He keeps you interested the whole way through. The twists in the book are fantastic. The way he introduces characters is brilliant. Can't wait for his new book in August, which I have just ordered.

2.0 out of 5 stars Page turner but 2nd division, 18 May 2011
This review is from: Chasing the Dead (Paperback)
Plot driven page turner but the denouement is disappointing and bordering on the ridiculous. Great for a long flight or train journey if killing time and distraction are your aims. Very little literary merit however - read James Lee Burke, Peter Temple or Ian Rankin for character driven, atmospheric prose.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I thought it would be..., 6 Mar. 2010
JM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Chasing the Dead (Paperback)
This book starts off well, with a great mystery, it's easy to read, intriguing and exciting. I'd read 200 pages before I knew it. Unfortunately, for me, the early promise of the story failed to deliver; it changed from an intriguing mystery to very far fetched and violent. It's not a bad book, just not what I expected, and there is a very good twist at the end that was most unexpected.
I liked the style of writing but found the subject matter a bit weird and unpleasant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep going or you'll sink in the violent tide, 2 Jan. 2014
Noel (Belfast, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chasing the Dead (Paperback)
This is the first in a growing series featuring David Raker. It opens when Derryn his young wife is in the last stages of terminal cancer. He is an investigative journalist, an international reporter, who abandons that lifestyle to be with her every day of her illness. She introduces the idea of using his investigative skills to find 'missing people' and a year after her death one of Derryn's former work colleagues visits David pleading with him to find her son, missing for a year.

I started the book late on New Year's Eve and finished it before the end of 1 January. I did not get much else done on New Year's Day and that is an indication of the extent to which I was caught up in the story. It moves at a very rapid pace and is a page turner.

The plot is fantastic in the sense of being barely believable, I hesitate to say, unbelievable. Yet the pace of the yarn carried me past my retiscence and I swallowed the plot twists and turns. However it is not for the faint hearted. Not only is it a violent tale but it also contains detailed descriptions of torture, gorey stuff. That's another reason you keep reading fast, you daren't put it down immediately after reading of one horror in the knowledge that there is another to come. It makes the Biblical references (Calvary, Bethany, Nain, Legion etc.. - herein are the clues to the plot) all the more incongruous.

These criticisms are made quite a few reviewers who have awarded just 1* to the book. I understand that. It sharply divides opinion. In my case, reading it through so quickly, with only one night off, meant that the excitement outweighed the credulity and repulsion factors. It became a gripping holiday read.

This is the first book in a series but not the first I have read. In 2013 I discovered and read 'The Dead Tracks' The Dead Tracks: David Raker Novel #2No.2 in the series and followed that up with 'Vanished' Vanished: David Raker Novel #3No. 3 in the series. In comparison to this book they are toned down a bit, not quite so gorey, but no less readable and gripping. In retrospect therefore I am glad that I read them before I discovered this book, otherwise I might not have gone on to read numbers, 2, 3 and 4.

For these reasons I have awarded just 4* to 'Chasing the Dead'.

Book 4, Never Coming Back: David Raker Novel #4 beckons.

2.0 out of 5 stars Obviously a book that divides opinion, 26 Aug. 2014
How this book had so many outstanding reviews, I have no idea. I ordered this and Book 2 on the basis of said reviews-and was hopeful as the story line and characters were initially involving. Then it just got REALLY STUPID. I skimmed and shipped the lengthy descriptions of various battles and fights and then read the final chapters--Interesting ending-but again-REALLY??? Of course, in much of the kore extreme crime fiction we suspend belief-but there was something about this book that did not engage enough.
I saw this writer compared to Mo Hayder -nowhere near.

2.0 out of 5 stars From believable to ridiculous, 21 Jan. 2014
I was recommended this book by a friend. For this reason I failed to read the reviews. What a mistake! I did however download a sample first and was impressed by what seemed to be a well written and engaging couple of chapters. As the book progresses, it becomes obvious that the scenario set in the first chapters, has not been thought through. As a result,
there is a lack any coherence or rational development. I persisted with 50% of the book before abandoning. It will take a lot of persuading for me to buy any further books by Mr Weaver.