5.0 out of 5 stars What a cool,funky follow up!
Published on 12 Aug 2010 by robbo's liver

3.0 out of 5 stars Chow Dong Gris Gris Fong
I bought this when it came out but I don't remember when that was, maybe 1989. I loved Ozzy so I wanted to get everything by any of his guitarists.
I wanted it to be really good but it stunk. It stunk up my stereo and my room. I had to fumigate my speakers and clean off all the guitar school licks before I could listen to Blizzard of Ozz again.
How much did...
Published on 20 Nov 2003 by M. Chamberlain

5.0 out of 5 stars What a cool,funky follow up!, 12 Aug 2010
This review is from: Voodoo Highway (Audio CD)
This is a quality follow up to the debut record.New drummer Jeff Martin fits in perfectly,locking in the engine room with the fabulously reliable Greg Chaisson on the bass.This time round theres a bit more emphasis on acoustic(title track Voodoo Highway) & a bit of slide guitar by the amazingly brilliant Jake E Lee,but relax this is QUALITY blues based heavy rock that grooves and smoulders and despite Ray Gillens health issues and deteriorating friendships with the rest of the group,he is on fire again.Brilliant stuff,and another time this would be a certainty for a platinum disc,alas the musical landscape had changed and Bandlands never got the attention,media coverage,or lucky break they deserved,huge pity!Highlights include The Last time, Soul Stealer & 3 Day Funk not forgetting a cover of a James Taylor tune,Fire & Rain & Heavens Train,the album gets stronger the further into it you delve! Of the 3 albums this is arguably the weakest,yet I think that has more to do with the other 2 albums being so very strong,particularly the debut album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Horses For Courses, 24 May 2004
DocBhoy (Invercargill , New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Voodoo Highway (Audio CD)
I have to say I was amused by the other reviewer . It's true , this will not be everyone's cup of tea . Not everyone will like the cover version of Fire And Rain , nor the finger picking Joe's Blues . I did , and found that whilst this album didn't attain the heights of the first album , it was good enough , none the less .

4.0 out of 5 stars gutsy, bluesy chunk of hard rock, 13 July 2010
Alister King "Big Al" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Voodoo Highway (Audio CD)
VoodooHighway is the second album of the band Badlands based around the late, great Ray Gillen on lead vocals and Ozzy's guitar sidekick, the fantastic Mr. Jake E. Lee. Its a good, gutsy, bluesy chunk of hard rock characterised by great song writing and excellent guitar playing. Opener "The Last Time" has a superb riff that starts quiet and then hits "overdrive" to kick start proceedings. "Show Me the Way" & "Shine On" both showcase Gillen's song writing. "3 Day Funk" on side 2 is indeed funk based with 9th chords and feels like it should have Glenn Hughes on base. "Silver Horses" is another good driving rock song while the cover of James Taylor's "Fire and Rain" is another album highlight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bluesier follow up to the classic debut., 14 Jun 2010
D. Greta - See all my reviews
This review is from: Voodoo Highway (Audio CD)
With more attention to hooks and melody, this second Badlands album is an even match for the debut.
Overall there's less guitar pyrotechnics and more of a distinct Led Zeppelin (or indeed overall 70s) vibe going.

Every bit as good as the debut, just different in approach.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Hard Rockin' Tunes!, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: Voodoo Highway (Audio CD)
This is the second album from cult US hard rockers Badlands and should have seen them become much bigger but due to a big band fallout it all went wrong. It's such a shame as Voodoo Highway has some brilliant songs on that would appeal to fans of 70's bands like Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple, through to the likes of Aerosmith, Whitesnake, Thunder, The Black Crowes and maybe even the likes of Black Label Society in regards to some of the meaty riffs on here!
For those that haven't heard of them, Badlands were a supergroup of sorts, featuring guitarist Jake E. Lee who had been in Ozzy Osbourne's band, singer Ray Gillen, who was briefly in Black Sabbath and also Eric Singer of KISS on drums(on the first album anyway) so potentially an amazing band and their self-titled debut was well received and despite various arguments between band members and Singers' firing Badlands released Voodoo Highway in 1991. The album starts well but its track 3, Shine On where things really pick up and Whiskey Dust, Soul Stealer, Silver Horses and Love Don't Mean A Thing are truly great songs, Jake E. Lee proving himself to be something of a guitar god with a good understanding of what real hard bluesy rock should sound like.
This band has been recommended to me by a few people so Badlands seem to have become some sort of cult band for those in the know and it's easy to see why. It might have just fallen short of a classic in my eyes but if you like the bands listed above and 70s and 80's hard rock in general then you need to check these boys out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard blues rock in the 90s, 11 Jun 2010
I. H. Roblin (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Voodoo Highway (Audio CD)
If you like their self-titled debut and 'Dusk', you should get this.

Ray Gillen's vocals, Jake E. Lee's unique hard style and song-writing make this a raw and in-your-face aural assault.

No point highlighting specific tracks, as Badlands always delivered. However, 'Silver Horses' sounds like early 1970s blues rock.

With the summer imminent, get it in the car stereo and play it loud. Alongside a hot chick, preferably.

3.0 out of 5 stars Chow Dong Gris Gris Fong, 20 Nov 2003
M. Chamberlain "thegreatbandini" (Norbiton, Kingston-upon-Thames) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Voodoo Highway (Audio CD)
How much did it stink? I didn't play it more than three times. I gave it the cursory listen, the second listen to find the stand out tracks, the third listen to make myself like it and then I gave up and retired to a copy of Fiesta and had a chop.
What's wrong with it? Faux blues and stinky singing teacher vocals coupled with blues licks that you'd never hear from a blues guitarist, rather one that was a metal guitarist who thought he could play blues.
What's right with it? It has a dash of red on the cover (my favourite colour) and the band name is only one word and two syllables so you can remember it easily.
I can't think of something you should turn to if you wanted a better version because this eats dog dirt. I would rethink your role in life if you actually like this.
For fast blues try Johnny Winter perhaps, for metal with a tinge of blues try Audioslave. For whiteboy blues try Led Zeppelin's first few albums and for guitar hero/session musician blues try Stevie Ray Vaughan. Just don't go near this nappy of a record.
1 star for having Ozzy as a boss.
1 star for having big hair.
1 star for having an 'E' in your name.
Guff.

Voodoo Highway
Voodoo Highway by Badlands (Audio CD - 2010)