Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 June 2005
Some times you hear an album by a new band and just know its never gonna be bettered. This is one of those. Its Bluesy rock with awesome riffs and stunning vocal delivery. I have the other 2 studio albums from Badlands, and though they are good this one is great. Still sounds fresh today, especially with the retro-fashion goin on at the moment.
I think if you like rock in its purest form, no messing, you'll enjoy this.
When my kids take the micky out of me for listening to dinosaur rock, I'll dust this baby off and show them how rock music peaked and this exact moment. Love it.
on 14 June 2010
After his stint with Ozzy Osbourne, Jake E Lee returned to the fore with this amazing band.
Coupling the incredible voice of Ray Gillen, Jake's undeniable guitar prowess and some killer songs, this is a must have album for all fans of melodic hard rock.
on 14 January 2011
I remember this coming out in the late 80's and it blew me away. So pleased this classic has been re-released as I had seen it for high prices on other sites prior to this re-release. It still sounds great today too and due to its warm production, it has not aged at all. Jake E Lee is one of the most unique and underrated guitarists of the 80's a real gem of a player with flash and feel. His playing is more riffy and blues orientated than on his Ozzy albums and he sounds all the better for it. The man is a total phenom and I was lucky enough to see them in a small rock club in Liverpool on the tour for voodoo highway cd. It was great to see one of my heroes up close. But for me its the songs here are the real winners - High Wire, Seasons, Rumblin' Train and particularly Winters Call are all sone wall classics. If you are a fan of Led Zep inspired rock this really is a must buy purchase. The really don't make cd's like this anymore. Its just such a shame the band could not stay together for longer but we can still enjoy the great music they left us! RIP Ray Gillen!
on 3 August 2007
This is an excellent debut CD from Jake E. Lee's band and it features his fast playing and the excellent vocals of the late Ray Gillen.

It opens with the hard rock of 'High wire', where the band are reminiscent of Led Zeppelin , and each track is full of raw hard rock. On occasions, he sounds like Coverdale, but Ray Gillen was a real talent in his own right.

I play this repeatedly on my car stereo. Excellent.
on 4 August 2010
unfortunately they are gone
iv 1st heard of them back in 98 or was in 99 anyway
i heard one of their songs on a mix tape that was called slow rock no.4 and that was a killer tape full of killer songs
but they were the stars among stars and older bands
i bought this cd lately after they had remastered it
i was thinking what the hard i will be an 80s cd
and my fav style of metal are the 80s bands
and the return of the 80s style
i learned and opened my eyes on rock music when i was 14 that was in 90 and the 80s bands were all over the radio and the shops were full of their albums
so normally i was a fan of the genre
and i thought i knew it all
this cd had proved me wrong
its full of real music by real players
they came from nearly the same background (ex ozzy + ex black sabbath)
and they didnt copy what they had
they made their own album full of their own ability in making music
this is for me enough to be a fan
and for sure this why im writing this reviw
my advice to my bros and sis of rock is = buy this cd support the music that we love
on 16 June 2010
I first got this album when it originally came out on cassette so was absolutely thrilled when this re-release came out. Jake E Lee's (the Ninja)guitar work is outstanding as you'd expect from a guitar hero but he doesn't let his technical brilliance ruin the songs with over the top playing and I am a massive fan of shred playing. The songs are structured as such that it is a brilliant mix of blues and hard rock/metal with a melodic touch.
Every song stands out but I must say my favs are High Wire, Winters Call and Devil's Stomp. You can definitley hear the influence from his days with playing for Ozzy before he went even more bluesy on the follow-up. Did I mention that Ray Gillen's vocals are superb. What a shame we lost a great singer.

Get it, play it. This band deserved to go so much further than it did. You won't be dis-appointed.
on 6 March 2011
Badlands 1989 self-titled release, re-released and remastered on Rock Candy Records in 2010 sounds phenomenal. Tracks like High Wire, Dreams In The Dark, Devil's Stomp and the bonus track Ball & Chain are absolute gems. The late Ray Gillen's vocals and Jake E. Lee's guitar shine, regardless of the Whitesnake/Zeppelin shadow comparison cast over them. It is a solid rock album worth every dollar. It is just a shame that Badlands didn't have more time to grow, but I am grateful for what they did and its availability
on 8 August 2010
I thought rock was heading a good way when this was released, Van Halen Mr. Big, Extreme, Joe Satriani etc, but grunge took over, not me I was diggin' this album, today it still sounds "real" unlike rock bands today that sound just like imitations of rock.
on 22 July 2010
In a different time ,this lot wouldve been megastars.Unfortunately,when this was originally released ,the musical landscape had changed and grunge was on its way.Lead by the hugely brilliant and under rated Jake E Lee (ex Ozzy OsbourneBark at the Moon: Remastered) on guitar,and Ray Gillen on vocals ,if you like Blues based heavy rock,outstanding musicianship, great songs and fantastic singing ,this album is for you!Highlights include,Dreams in the Dark,High Wire,Streets Cry Freedom and Seasons,fabulous,fabulous stuff! Ozzy fans beware,this is a different direction for Jake E.Lee, gone is the two handed stuff,the flashy,tricks etc,etc,replaced with a rich tone and groove, but relax he is still amazing and totally on fire!Not only that,Jake is working with someone who can actually sing in the late Ray Gillen,clearly something Ozzy cannot do,even to this day. BAFFLED as to why this album isnt a multi platinum seller!
on 7 January 2015
I like the album but that's mainly because of Jake E Lee's playing. Dare I say it but the vocals are a bit cheesy in places - David Coverdale in turn trying to sound like Robert Plant. I Actually prefer Badlands Dusk which has more of a heavy blues identity to it.