5.0 out of 5 stars Someone special
Published on 8 Mar 2010 by Mr Simon Spinks

3.0 out of 5 stars Deleuxe - Not worth it?
I loved the first album, and am starting to get into the second one. It is not so immediately catchy, but definitely the Amy McDonald that we love.

Published on 27 Mar 2010 by Striding Edge

5.0 out of 5 stars Someone special, 8 Mar 2010
What can be said about Amy MacDonald? Probably the most underrated singer/songwriter in the British Isles at the moment. Her first album "This is the life" is an absolutely fantastic record and I cannot recommend it highly enough, every song on that album showcases Amy's unique songwriting ability and when listening to it you forget that she was only 19 when it was released, and I believe that she wrote some songs when only 12 or 13.

She sings about issues and experiences you would expect from someone so much older and while it is easy to get lost in the upbeat melodies of some songs it is perhaps a credit to her writing ability that you can identify with so many of her lyrics. Waiting three years for another record from Amy was easy as This is the life was in my CD player every day and I never tire of listening to it.

So the new album showcases more of Amy's talent and has much the same mix of uptempo and downbeat tunes as was on This is the life. Having only listened to the album 3 times from start to finish I still haven't completely digested all of the lyrics buy already several tunes stand out including My Only One, What Happiness Means To Me, An Ordinary Life and of course Don't tell me That It's Over.

One track that totally blew me away is the bonus track, I won't say what it is just to say that it is without doubt one of the best cover version I've ever heard. It is simply stunning and if proof was ever needed of Amy's beautiful voice and amazing talent then here it is, I think I now prefer this version over the original, it really is that good.

Check out this album, you won't be disappointed 5 stars from me. Well done Amy

5.0 out of 5 stars A Curious Thing, 6 April 2010
A Curious Thing (Deluxe Edition)

Absolutely outstanding new album by Amy McDonald. It's often hard to follow a superb first album & I've been disappointed in the past by some artists second albums but not this one!! If you liked the first album you will love this one. The second disc is a live recording of her first concert at barrowlands This is a must for all music lovers, the live second disc is just the icing on the cake. Not to be missed!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than her last, 8 Mar 2010
Andy O'Boogie (Widnes, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Curious Thing (Audio CD)
This album does not grab you like 'This is The Life'. Well it wouldn't would it. The first album was a superb first album from someone we had never heard of before. A new sound a new talent. This album is not just more of the same, it is a progression. It takes longer to get into the tracks but when you get there...ohhh bliss. Every track is great. No weak tracks. I even love the LIVE cover of Bruce Springsteen's Dancing in the Dark hidden away at the end (I am also a Springsteen fan). I am so pleased Amy has managed to follow up her brilliant first album with a more mature brilliant second album. What a talent!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Deleuxe - Not worth it?, 27 Mar 2010

There are problems with the 'deluxe' version. The online CD databases confuse it with the first album messing up track libraries, the case is only cardboard, but worst of all, the extra live album is a real disappointment. Amy tries to sing too deep for some reason, making most of the tracks sound ridiculous with the silly voice and distorted words distracting from the music. I don't know what she was trying to do, if the sound engineer was having a joke, she had a throat problem, or even if my CD is faulty. Someone commented that she was trying to sound French, or like Edith Piaf. I'm really not sure what is going on with that live CD.
I would recommend the normal version of A Curious thing, unless you want a laugh.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great voice, good songs, poor recordings, 28 Nov 2010
L. Hastings "Loves Classical Music" (Aberystwyth, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Curious Thing (Audio CD)
I bought 2 CD's of Amy McDonald at the same time, "A Curious Life" and "This is the life".
I loved her voice and I thought the songs were pretty good with some being excellent.

The two star rating is for the recording quality otherwise 5 star.

What ruined it for me were the poor quality of the recordings, the music totally drowned out the voice and if you turned the volume up to a normal level to hear the voice it would have annoyed the neighbours too much.

The quality of these recording was quite poor and it's a shame record companies can't put more effort and time into quality instead of profit.

If I could have listened to these recordings before buying them it would have been a no sale.
I passed on my comments to the recording company of the albums and they couldn't even reply. I always wonder if the artist gets to know about customer feedback.

The poor quality of these recording will prevent me from buying her future albums unless she changes to a different label.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bold and successful second album, 24 Mar 2010
Simon Watkins (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Curious Thing (Audio CD)
Buy this. Amy's first album was simply brilliant and was always going to be a tough act to follow. She has done superbly with A Curious Thing. Like the first album, every track is good - no skippers. Slightly more produced, this time, but not in a bad way. She's developed like a good wine. I saw her live at the Barrowlands, Glasgow, where she debuted many of these tracks and some of her old ones. Her stage energy is incredible - she's even better live than recorded - slightly more raw and passionate. I love this album and if you liked her first, you will too.

3.0 out of 5 stars restrictive! DRM, 24 Nov 2010
This review is from: A Curious Thing (Audio CD)
The music is fine, but I'm not happy about the restrictive Digital Rights Management, that means I can't rip this to MP3 to play in the generic MP3 player of my choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 15 May 2010
This review is from: A Curious Thing (MP3 Download)
A worthy second album (and how often can you say that). Beautiful voice, beautifully crafted songs. If "This Is The Life" appealed, do not hesitate to add this to your collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality pressing., 1 April 2010
This review is from: A Curious Thing [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I have awarded four stars, but only for the album's content. A very creditable second offering with regards the material. It does need more than one listen to appreciate fully though.
I am a great fan of vinyl and usually much prefer the medium over c.d. and I thought at last, a record company with some sense. However, on this occasion I hope the c.d. is of better quality sonically. At almost twice the price the vinyl, this time, is in my opinion not worth it!
I have a fairly high end turntable and system so I can't blame those for the shortcomings. The production is far too bright and "tinny", overdone and really tiring to listen to. So I would advise - avoid the vinyl version.
To compare, I did download the album in MP3 format from Amazon, that is much kinder to the ears using my Cowon player.
So boo, hiss to whoever produced/mastered/ pressed the vinyl version!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 7 Mar 2010
This review is from: A Curious Thing (Audio CD)
What I don't get is why Amy isn't as big in the UK as all the generic talentless females that are around at the moment. Why as a nation do we begrudge talent? (and beauty!) We prefer to have our popstars mime along to headache inducing songs while prancing about in a pair of knickers! What the hell is wrong here!??

Amy is a complete diamond in the rough. She utilises her raw talent to perfection on this followup album. I loved her first and I reckon this one is better. She has matured with her songwriting skills and finds new strength in her voice. I see that someone has criticised the overproduction of the album-but I just don't see that. The songs are simple and perfect.

This album will suit old fans and should also bring in new ones-especially with the more rockier songs-current single "Don't tell me that it's over" and, my personal favourite "The next big thing".

This is a true gem of an album and will not disappoint!

Enjoy!