5.0 out of 5 stars Recording machine that can do almost anything
The VHS on my previous EZ45 wouldn't work - and there were various other repairs needed and the freeview stopped producing a good picture, so I decided to upgrade to this model.
Published on 3 Feb. 2011 by Groucho Marx

3.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic DMR-EZ49
Bought this item mainly to transfer video to DVD. Does exactly that. Very easy to set up and simple to use. On principle I will not subscribe to SKY, so I use it as a Freeview recorder. However, it does not have dual tuner, nor can you watch another channel while recording another. Does not have a built in battery, so when the power is disconnected from standby, the clock...
Published on 5 Mar. 2011 by A.E from Rhyl

5.0 out of 5 stars Recording machine that can do almost anything, 3 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Panasonic DMR-EZ49vEBK Super Multi Format Combi Recorder with Freeview (Electronics)
It's basically the same model with UsB added - though I haven't explored everything yet. Like the older machine I can easily transfer VHS tapes to DVD and record from my camcorder via the S-video [and there are other inputs too]- though, make no mistake it's a complicated gadget when you want to get the best out of it, and it takes time to work out what all the remote buttons do.
Freeview sets up easily though the programme guide display has a big empty box on the left reducing the width. [Since the unit updated itself I now know that it is a dedicated advertisement slot and you can't get rid of it! MOST ANNOYING!]
I'm glad to have a fully functioning machine once again and have no hesitation in recommending it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carefree Recording to DVD or VHS, 21 July 2011
E. Rowntree (Northumberland UK) - See all my reviews
If you want to copy a favourite tv show, copy a vhs tape to DVd or Copy a dvd to vhs,
this is the machine for hassle-free copying.It's a very sophosticated machine so that
it takes a while to digest all the things it can do.But I have never seen such great
VHS copies and those and the DVD's it burns are indistinguishable from the original
broadcast. The panasonic DMR-EZ49vEBK recorder is a great machine

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Breed! A professional and featured-packed machine with rock solid stability., 18 Oct. 2013
Amazon Customer (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I've owned the Panasonic DMR-EZ49vEBK for 2 years now. It is easy to use and yet customisable (to a level rarely seen today), has a first class thick and detailed (paper/English-only) manual and hasn't so much as stuttered (let alone locked up) once. It has done everything I have asked it to and in short has exceeded every single one of my expectations. Thank you Panasonic!

I first opted for one of these (like most, I guess) to record DVDs and transfer some old videos to DVD. My decent enough Philips DVD recorder had given up the ghost and (as I prefer to be able to keep films and such) I opted to buy another rather than a PVR (which has limited storage space).

I use the VHS daily for recordings I don't want to keep. The quality (especially when upscaled* through the HDMI lead) is the best I've seen for video tape. It isn't "crystal" clear, but it is perfectly watchable. Even when watching it through a normal scart lead, the quality is about the same as none HD freeview.

After a brief setup (including your post code so the guide updates accordingly) the system itself is as simple or advanced as you want it to be. Taping to either VHS or DVD from freeview is pretty much the same as with a PVR. Simply navigate using the guide to the program you wish to record, press OK and then select VHS/DVD and recording quality. Done!

Copying to DVD from VHS (and vice versa) is also really simple. Simply a case of selecting copy on the main (function) menu and selecting duration/recording quality etc. It then asks if you wish to finalise the disc (so it will play on other DVD players) and then it starts. The quality of transfer is perfect (obviously effected by the quality of your VHS tape).

I also use the timer function frequently for late night films on Freesat (which is easily connected through a scart). With this it is simply a case of selecting the AV channel the scart lead connects with, setting the start and end times/recording quality and media (VHS/DVD). When recording to DVD, you can also key in a name for the program (it does this automatically if you're recording from the guide). Unfortunately, you cannot record to DVD and VHS at the same time (not even when recording from different sources ie: the built-in Freeview and an external Freesat box) a real pity as this would be something I used a lot if it did.

Quite often, I find I watch a film or TV programme I taped on VHS and like it so copy it to DVD so I can keep it. Having the ability to do this is useful (and saves you wasting a DVD for something you're not certain you'll want to keep). For TV series, I find it easiest to record them to VHS and then transfer them to DVD in one day when I have enough. You can record them straight to DVD (and remove the DVD without finalising it) though if you prefer.

The DVD recording (either with copying or the timer function, but not--disappointingly--from the Guide) has a great flexible recording quality that my previous machine didn't have. It basically calculates the best recording quality you can get for a film or TV program and uses the whole disc. Therefore you can record 1.5 hour and 2.5 hour programs etc. in the best quality (rather than compromising with 2 or 4 hour quality).

Other DVD recording quality settings are 1 hour, 2 hour, 4 hour, 6 hour and 8 hours**. For VHS (with a 4 hour tape) you get 4 hour 8 hour and 12 hours. The quality on the lower settings is perfectly watchable (I record 5 hours of US football every week to VHS on long play (8 hours) and can't really see any difference--though with 12 hours, it is obviously lower quality though still perfectly watchable).

I won't even begin to list all the extra features you can do with it. I've already done quite a lot and am still finding more and more out about it (for example: you can set the controller to control the basic functions of many TV sets--not just Panasonic). You can even set the level of electricity the unit uses in stand-by mode. For best cost efficiency, you lose the quick start (and it takes about a minute to boot up--instead of 2 seconds) and can't view any connected equipment (such as a Sky box or Freesat) without the unit being switch on. You can select it so quick start is enabled constantly or only during set hours (ie: 18:00-00:00) if you're out at work, to make sure it is both cost efficient and still convenient. How many machines allow you this much control?

Finally, just a word on the fantastic instruction manual. It's 95 pages long and covers all features in depth (with easy to follow step by step instructions and a few diagrams to help along the way). It is by far the most useful manual I've had in ages. In fact the whole product is so rich with features (that do pretty much everything you could expect it to) that are explained in such depth, I am so glad still, now, I bought this instead of a PVR. It may not be as convenient (having to insert tapes and discs), but gives you far more flexibility if (like me) you like building a library you've recorded from TV.

*Note. the manual says and I found it was true that when watching freeview on this machine through a HDMI lead the freeview reception can be effected. This doesn't matter if you wish to watch a VHS or DVD, but you can't tape from freeview and watch at the same time through HDMI. You can watch with no loss of quality fine through a scart connection (it has 2 2-way scart sockets), even if the HDMI lead is also connected. The remedy is (I found from another review on Amazon somewhere and scouring the web) to either buy a Panasonic HDMI lead (at around £20) or some double shielded aerial cable and decent connectors. I already had the aerial cable so used this (I shortened my current aerial lead to where it comes into the room and fitted a double shielded lead to it with connectors to the machine). It works fine now, but you have been warned. That said, the quality from a scart lead is perfectly acceptable (just normal freeview quality), so if you just want to upscale video and DVD recordings then it's not a problem at all.

** For DVD recordings you can either use 6 hour or 8 hours for extended play (you change it in the settings menu). I usually have it set to 6 hour for taping 3 films to, but sometimes tape 4 films with 8 hour and they are easily watchable (though obviously not perfect).

5.0 out of 5 stars Child's-Play, 21 Jan. 2011
I bought the Panasonic DMR-EZ49vEBK Super Multi Format Combi Recorder with Freeview, as I have a Panasonic Vierra TV.
Fed-up with all the Cables and different Remotes...so, when the Video-recorder stopped working, I opted for the above Product.
I'm not very good, when it comes to connecting Cables, or using new technical Items.
I was amazed, how easy it was to connect....it Tunes itself....and use it!
One Remote for everything! It is a great Unit and very easy to operate, with beautiful Sound and Pictures....even can plug my Camera into it or my USB-stick.
All in all, it is "Child's-Play" with 100% Satisfaction....

5.0 out of 5 stars DMR-EZ49vEBK - High praise, 22 Jan. 2011
K. Clayson (Northampton England) - See all my reviews
Following the demise of my old video player (still a vital piece of equipment for my grandaughter to view her favourite videos when she visits) I decided to replace this equipment and at the same time update my DVD recorder/player. Having researched the market I decided on the Panasonic DMR-EZ49vEBK Multi Format Combi Recorder. This proved to be a wise decision as I have nothing but praise for the equipment. I found it easy to set up and use and its picture quality is first rate. Even some of my very old videos have taken on a new life with the equipments ability to upgrade old recordings. Tranferring footage from my Video Camera to DVD is easily achieved as is transferring programmes from Sky Satellite. If you have Sky Plus the best method is to record it first onto the sky plus hard disc and then transfer it to DVD. The Combi Recorder does have built in freeview which I have no doubt is excellent although since I have Satellite I have not used this facility. The summerise, therefore, the equipment is first rate and good value for money

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with product..., 7 Aug. 2011
Iceni Peasant (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
My old Bush VCR finally died and despite the modern gadget world and the advent of recording to a SKY+ box(I still have a standard Sky Box)or other harddrive or even on to DVD, I still think VHS has its uses when just wanting to record something to see but not keep. Only the other day I wanted to see a horse race, so left the VCR to record it...it wasn't something I'd want to waste a DVD-R for or fiddle around with a DVD-RW. So VHS may have a Dark Ages tinge to it these days, but it still has it uses.

The reason for choosing this machine was mainly the DVD/VCR combination. I've been wanting to finally copy to DVD some old videos. I found the process for copying to DVD quite simple, and the results were very good quality, even from quite fuzzy old tapes.

The initial set-up was very simple. I have the machine in my bedroom and only use Sky with it. I don't have an aerial feed into the room, so I can't comment on the Freeview set-up for channels. I found the set-up with my Sky box was relatively simple.

I should say that the instruction manual looks a little scary to begin with, but I highly recommend that you spend some time reading it. Most operations you require give a fairly easy step-by-step guide. Start with the basic operation pages and read it a few times before you try to set-up everything, and get used to the little codes they use for the instructions of usage, which vary depending on the type of recordable DVD you use and the modes of recording you use, such as Long Play or Standard Play.

The Remote Control is a little scary to look at too, especially if you've never owned a Panasonic DVD player before. But again, the instruction manual soon solves the functions of various buttons.

I find recording to DVD-R very simple, as you do not need to Format the disc first. The Finalizing process was also very simple. A nice touch is when you turn the machine on, whether it's in VHS or DVD mode the LCD display will tell you how much recording space you have on the disc or tape in the machine, using your current mode.

I take one star off for some slightly nit-picky reasons. The unit is a bit slow to respond. When you turn the machine on, it will say "Hello", which is all lovely and polite, but it can take 30 seconds to 1 minute to start up and allow you to record with it. If you've just remembered a programme you want to record, it can be infuriating, waiting to finally press the record button. When you finally do press the record button it's a second or two before it actually flashes the red record symbol on the display, making you wonder, to begin with, if the remote control is working.
The unit is a little noisy, more so with VHS. It's an electronic hum most of the time, but a little louder than I'm used to. The rewind or fast forward on VHS is almost like a turbo, and makes a lot of noise too. But it's something you'll get used to.

The unit does not have a harddrive, which makes editing almost impossible when copying old tapes to DVD, but for me personally that wasn't too much of a bother.
For the price, this is a very good quality machine, and does exactly what it says on the tin! I'm so pleased with the overall quality that when I eventually get myself a new TV I intend to look at Panasonic ones first.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Ticked All the Boxes For Me, 24 Aug. 2011
David Rowland (Southampton U.K.) - See all my reviews
This is a very versatile piece of kit. It will record to tape or DVD at a number of different speeds (and in NTSC or PAL formats). It will also copy from DVD to tape and vice versa and is quite easy to use. It is future-proof, in that it has a Freeview tuner and doesn't rely on the analogue signal which is currently being closed down. For those, like me, unused to recording to a DVD, there is the novel feature that the machine will set the recording standard to fit the available space on the disc. If, for example, you want to record a two hour ten minute film (on a two hour disc), rather than have to accept a poor quality result and spare disc space by using half speed, you can tell the recorder to fit the programme to the space. You will then be able to record the whole film on the whole disc with just a small trade-off in quality. When installing the unit, I did have one problem: the instructions indicate that, when connecting with an HDMI lead, the unit will automatically detect the High Definition level that the TV can accept. This was not true in the case of my Sony WRX1. My set can only show output at 1080i but the unit was trying to send a signal at 1080p, did not modify this and I ended up with an "Out of Range" message and an otherwise blank screen. Although the unit has a manual setting for its output, I could not access this because I could not monitor the set-up process on screen. I tried changing the HDMI for a SCART connection, whereupon I could go through the set-up but could not change the output HD level - because I was not using an HDMI connection! The answer was to connect with both and now everything is working OK. I can thoroughly recommend this recorder: it does everything that I want and at a very reasonable price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice bit of kit., 21 Jan. 2011
mjcairney (Airdrie, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
This was purchased by an 81 year old neighbour / friend of my sister. I was asked to set it up and show him how to use it. I must say I found it very simple to set up, and had it working within about five minutes of removing it from the box. The Freeview tuner very quickly found and stored all the channels, over 60 free TV and more than 20 radio stations if I remember correctly. The Freeview picture, via scart in this case, is more than acceptable, but do note that there is an HDMI output available if your TV has the appropriate input, and most now do. Changing between the DVD and VCR drives is very simple indeed, with a single button push on the pretty solid remote control. Setting up for recording again is very simple, and you are prompted to enter whether you wish to record to DVD or VHS. The unit's owner seemed to find it easy enough to get to grips with, although only time will really tell on that one. I gave it four, rather than five stars, for one reason, the Program Guide, which I find a bit slow to access, same as my Panasonic Blu-ray recorder - not the end of the world by any stretch of the imagination, but not the best either. Bottom line - if you're looking for a such a piece of equipment, I don't think you'll be disappointed with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars ALL I HAD HOPED - EVENTUALLY, 11 Nov. 2011
Mr. D. L. Rees "LEE DAVID" (DORSET) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Those with expertise can comment most usefully on the technical aspects. I am not one of them - in my seventies, as ever, extremely nervous and inept when it comes to machines. The Panasonic thus represented a challenge, especially when setting up - instructions at times puzzling, assuming knowledge and skills not possessed. (Experiences described in reviews on these pages proved very helpful - especially the comments that followed in answer to problems encountered.)

Practice has since made perfect with daily usage, the Panasonic in every respect an enormous improvement on its predecessor. Recording in particular is far easier - as yet not a single programme minus its start and end. Picture quality is perfect. It would be wrong to deprive of stars because of my inability to cope with initial intricacies, only right to award full marks for the excellent service now given. In short, I am delighted - the Panasonic a boon.

Recommended - but try to ensure someone with skill does the installing.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works, 3 Nov. 2011
Panasonic DMR-EZ49vEBK Super Multi Format Combi Recorder with Freeview I bought this machine to convert old vhs tapes to dvd. Bingo it works. I'm so pleased that I made the effort after so many years telling myself that I must do it. The machine is easy to set up, it does most of it for itself, I also have a Panasonic tv so I can now just use the one remote. I would say go and buy it if you have the same needs as me. I'm 65 and love this machine for saving all my old memories to dvd. It was a fun task. It uses all format dvds and playback is top notch.