5.0 out of 5 stars A simple, cheap and effective cure for rough/rich running..
My cheapo Mountfield lawn mower was starting to run very rough.
It started o.k., but then the engine "hunted" - would not idle properly, with clouds of black smoke periodically and trying to stall when cutting.
Seemed like the governor was at fault!
I pulled the spark plug - it was covered in black soot - running too rich?
The air filter was clean and...
Published on 31 Mar. 2011 by P. J. Millerchip

1.0 out of 5 stars Diaphragm kit
Diaphragm arrived in clear plastic bag, not with the Briggs and Stratton logo as advertised. After fitting item,
mower started and ran well, then noticed petrol leaking from between carb and tank,
After stripping down again found found small defect in gasket allowing leakage.
Had to buy another gasket from local dealer "IN CORRECT PACKAGING"
I...
Published 12 months ago by John 1

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple, cheap and effective cure for rough/rich running.., 31 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Briggs & Stratton Carburettor Diaphragm/Gasket Kit. 795083 (Garden & Outdoors)
My cheapo Mountfield lawn mower was starting to run very rough.
Seemed like the governor was at fault!
I pulled the spark plug - it was covered in black soot - running too rich?
The air filter was clean and clear, I ran some carb. cleaner through the throat of the carb whilst running up the engine by pulling the governor spring gently.
Still no improvement.
The governor springs were all clean and moved freely - as did the governor arm by the fan (under the engine shroud).

I was sceptical that a replacemnt diaphragm would cure this - but for the price, it was worth a go.

It is best to remove the fuel tank from the mower first, with the carb. still attached. Just two bolts to undo, a rubber union hose to gently pull off and then tilt the tank to wiggle off the "Z" bend wire arm thingy from the governor - all of the springs etc. do not need to be touched - they stay on the engine.
With the tank/carb. on the bench its easier to work on it.

Empty the tank of any residual fuel carefully (safety) and might as well check its insides for debris/corrosion.

Undo five set screws to remove the carb. body and withdraw it upwards - watch out for a long plastic pipe/filter and a short coil spring sitting on the old diaphragm!
Might as well check the filter/clean it whilst its out of the tank.

The old diaphragm looked intact - but somewhat stretched and floppy.

Peel it off with the old gasket and fit the new diaphragm first - to the tank face, followed by the new paper gasket, then the carb. body - get it in the right order!
Re-assembly is the reverse as before - but do up the set screws evenly to avoid harming the gasket/diaphragm.

After re-assembly and some fresh petrol, the engine started immediately and settled down to its old sound and performance - job done.

I suppose the old diaphragm was worn/stretched a bit and was allowing too much fuel to be pumped up to the carb?
Anyway - for the price of this little kit, a very simple, easy and cost effective repair.
Well worth doing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Briggs & Stratton Gasket, 13 May 2011
Had many problems with my mower, poor starting, 'hunting', black smoke, sooted up plug, press bulb not working correctly.
I did an internet search about these problems and everyone said 'change your diaphragm and gasket'

After checking where to get the parts Amazon came up trumps. The supplier was quick, reasonably priced and efficient.

Stripped the carb (instruction from the internet) cleaned everything out, replaced the Diaphragm/gasket and everything now works perfectly. Starts first pull and sounds like a mower should.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cured the problem !, 11 Sept. 2011
My 3 year old mower was emitting some black smoke (enough to deposit soot on the exhaust heat guard). Idle speed was also erratic. Ordered one of these new diaphragms and gaskets and fitted it following instructions by video on Youtube. Cured the problem straight away. The old diaphragm had swollen just like the old one in the Youtube video which I guess causes it to deliver too much fuel to the engine. Now starts and runs like new. Just one bit of advice - take a digital photo of the connection and arrangement of the springs that operate the choke (I found it was easier to disconnect them when changing the gasket/diaphragm). I thought I would easily remember where to re-connect them but I had to look it up again on the internet. Would have been much easier with a digital photo (or even a hand drawn diagram).

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to fit, 8 Mar. 2011
M. Gregory (UK) - See all my reviews
My 3 year old lawn mower started coughing, spluttering and stalling before finally refusing to start. A bit of research with Google suggested it might be the diaphragm so bought this set to try.
Very easy to replace and the mower now runs perfectly ok.
Much cheaper than a new mower.

1.0 out of 5 stars Diaphragm kit, 13 May 2014
After stripping down again found found small defect in gasket allowing leakage.
Had to buy another gasket from local dealer "IN CORRECT PACKAGING"
I fitted this and it now works fine.
I CAN ONLY ASSUME THAT THE GASKET YOU SUPPLIED WAS NOT A GENUINE PART.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Genuine Briggs & Stratton - Failed after just one month, 26 May 2014
The diaphragm & gasket kit was supplied in an unbranded poly bag unlike the photo on the listing, which is misleading. After just a month the mower started to show signs of a failing diaphragm (low and high engine tick over and stalling). After dismantling the carb and inspecting the diaphragm it showed signs of creasing. I would recommend always buying the genuine kit, which I thought this was at the time of purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks to Youtube!, 15 Jun. 2013
Mrs T (Reading, Berks, UK) - See all my reviews
I watched half a billion videos on YouTube to try and diagnose a fault with my petrol lawnmower. I have a 450 series Briggs and Stratton Engine - it was idling all over the place, so I replaced the air filter, spark plug and Carb diaphragm and gasket - and it is back to working like it should!

If I can do it (girl, who has never taken apart an engine before) you can do it too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 20 Oct. 2011
Peter (Norfolk,UK) - See all my reviews
My mower has been running rough for sometime ie hunting and plug fouling. After a bit research on the internet I discovered that the problem was caused by the diaphragm in the carburettor warping. Replacing it is a pretty easy job taking about 20 minutes, there are a number of videos on youtube showing how it is done. The mower now runs perfectly for a small outlay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Kit Easily Done, just bit of care needed., 4 April 2015
Very quick arrival, arrived two days since order placed
Just what my mower needed had the classic spluttering, revs going up and down.
Gave my mower good clean with carb cleaner, cleaned petrol tank with carb cleaner plus added a few clean washers gave it good shake added bit of clean petrol and all the loose bits came out.
Leave to dry after good shake and make sure no washers remain in tank obviously, just helps remove little rust bits if your mowers on the older side.
Reassembled added new petrol runs like new again.
Very easy to do just make sure you use carb cleaner and check tank and lower carb for bits of grit which you'll easily see.
Seeing it was my first attempt I'm sure anyone can do this and save money by not taking it for repair.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of doing this for first time only 5 screws for carb head 2 bolts and remember to unhook throttle link just by wiggling it a bit you don't have to remove all the little springs, well that for my mower and most other briggs and Stratton.

If you take your time keep screws to hand and make sure you don't lose the spring inside the carb housing, plus it's handy to clean little mesh screen inside carb it's sometimes a bit tough to remove add a little carb cleaner it'll come of with a twisting action.
It's a very fine mesh filter but mine had grit and grud on mine but carb cleaner cleared it couple sprays, be gentle with it don't force it or you'll damage it and need replacing.

Best of luck, I won't be held responsible for my advice but I'm sure it'll help.

P's If really unsure check out YouTube they'll be a video or two to help you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved me a fortune..., 21 July 2012
A. Hoggan - See all my reviews
My mower engine was dying, it was terminal. A search on the Net described the problem as the diaphragm having perished/gone on the carb; it also brought me to loads of You Tube vids showing how to remove the carb from the mower motor, disassemble change the diaphragm gasket, re-assemble and refit the carb to the motor. I bought this set with a view to doing that. I was also thinking of spending £400 for a new mower, happy days eh?. The thought of replacing the gasket was a little daunting but I have to say it's nothing, nothing, like swapping gaskets on a car's carb (do we still have these in cars?) or on a car engine. It's at the very most ten minutes to do and the easiest work I've ever carried out on an engine. The vids available on the Net show you step by step, follow them and it's easy. The diaphragm & gasket supplied, there are two parts, fit perfectly. Once re-assembled my mower was working like a brand new mower, it still is. I'll be honest I didn't do it correctly first time, (I didn't follow the You Tube video instructions to the letter) so although the mower motor was working it wasn't perfect. I looked again at the instructional videos, then ten minutes later I'd sorted the problem (I hadn't taken the carb off the motor properly and the gaskets wasn't sitting properly) and it was perfect. Always follow the instructions..! A great product, perfect for my Briggs & Stratton mower motor, I'll buy it and do it all again in another few years...

Briggs & Stratton Carburettor Diaphragm/Gasket Kit. 795083