Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 25 June 2010
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've given this album a number of go's. For me, it's not a great album but not a terrible album. I'm more of a folksy boy. First listen through didn't grab me, none of the tracks pulled me back for a second listen. Popped into my bigger playlist and found that these tracks stuck out as I kept skipping them to get to stuff I like and am familiar with.

You might like it, give it a whirl.
on 15 July 2010
I bought this album without know the band very well and was a really good surprise. Very pleasant to listen.
on 20 May 2010
The lowdown: James Mercer (Shins' voice/strummer) and Danger Mouse (ubiquitous producer type Brian Burton - see Gnarls Barkley; The Good, The Bad and the Queen) team up for this debut collaboration. Muso matchmakers expect a soaring majesty of cred and class, substance and sheen. Neither materialises - Mercer's vocal yelp is familiarly adequate, whilst Burton feeds everything through the usual washed-up electronic filter (then tacks on dub bass), but the results are uncharacteristically stilted.
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Listened to this with my son and we both found the musical intro's and arrangements new and unusual. So 5 stars for new musical talens and offerings. HOWEVER what really kills it is the mindless and souless ballads that drone on in the background. The musics fresh but the lyrics are tiresome and say nothing and if there were one or two lyrics that were good, then believe me when I say you'll have switched off by that point. Lastly ... and oh boy is this a biggie. Song 8 on the tracks ... well the music was a shock. it sounds un-mistakeably like one of coldplays famous tracks. I couldn't believe it neither could my son. we looked at each other and he said he thought it was the coldplay track music as well. Not the lyrics, just the music. Can't see this having a happy ending.
VINE VOICEon 20 February 2010
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I wouldn't have usually purchased this album, but I like variaty, so I figured I'd try it out.

I've highly enjoyed listening to this, I find the songs however quite forgettable, if not have a few moments which are catchy. This is a album to have on whilest your are doing something that requires your concentration to be elsewhere.
At least to me personally, it's background music, and not something I'd put on to sing along to.
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you like hippy nursery rhymes and irritating cheesy motifs, this would probably suit you. Additionally, the attention to sound effects within a heavily compressed production makes this very irritating for an album-worth of material. Much of the time, the lead singer whines incomprehensible lyrics that seem to have a new-agey hippy slant, not my idea of interesting. The occasional acoustic guitar drive is attractive but Broken Bells like to pick out facile riffs on synth, which quickly becomes annoying.

I think the blurb of there being 'melodically seductive and psychologically provocative' songs is hilariously overboard. I'm so bored and irritated, I'm throwing this disc in the direction of any student who's got half a brain full of below-par Peter Gabriel, and the other half full of Lloyd-Webber. Sadly, I think there will be plenty of takers.