4.0 out of 5 stars Give it a chance
Being more or less unfamiliar to the prior works of the artists, I came to this album fresh.

I was pleasantly surprised to find a gently engaging collection of melodic songs. The album is deceptively complex. At first listen, it sounds nice enough, but repeat listenings reveal subtleties in the both the music and vocals.

I might have dismissed this...
Published on 17 Jun 2010 by B. Yeoh

3.0 out of 5 stars The bells...the bells!
I thought I knew that voice ? It's the lead singer of cult US Indie Band The Shins who with one half of Dangermouse make up the full compliment of Broken Bells. This week fabulous BBC 6 music have been giving the album a lot of air time and why not.
Although it doesn't go anywhere special or break new ground it is in fact not half bad. Certainly better than a lot of...
Published on 23 Feb 2010 by Arthur Dooley

4.0 out of 5 stars Give it a chance, 17 Jun 2010
B. Yeoh - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I might have dismissed this as accessible, unchallenging indie, but there is more to this album than meets the eye (ear?).

Not one to love, but I like it plenty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year so far!, 27 April 2010
This review is from: Broken Bells (Audio CD)
Why such mixed reviews? This is a MASTERPIECE; that sounds more impressive with every listen. Love the Shins, especially Wincing The Night Away but this album goes the extra mile. Mercer's voice is subtle yet distictive,the production is superb. Santagold-esque sounds in "The Ghost inside" one of the stand out tracks for me as is "Your Head Is On Fire", "Trap Doors" and the Mall & Misery". Like the Shins, stick with this album it is pure quality with a wonderful array of sounds and styles that leave you hooked.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3.99 ?!, 6 Feb 2012
This review is from: Broken Bells (Audio CD)
3.99 is a extra large hot chocolate with cream. 3.99 is a small fast food meal? or 3.99 is an album you will keep coming back to possibly like me on Sunday mornings with heaps of college work and a mug of tea.

Great Album

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing., 18 Feb 2012
This review is from: Broken Bells (Audio CD)
Just as the title says, amazing, this album took me on a journey. I would happily sit and listen to James Mercer's voice all day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different and polished, 23 Feb 2010
M. Dale (East Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This album isn't something I would have picked out just browsing around, but the description caught my eye so I decided to give it a shot. In a way I'm glad I did, and while it's still not entirely to my tastes it also made me re-think some of the preconceptions I have about indie music.

If I had to classify it I'd place it somewhere between synth-pop and what most people would consider to be 'indie'. Production values are top notch and there are certainly some catchy tracks in there, particularly track 8. Personally I don't think it's a knock-out first album but it's still worth looking into if you think you like one or more of the genres it moves between.

4 stars, because while I might not be bowled over it is very well produced and I can see how others might like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 3 Nov 2011
Jonathan Keyte (Northumberland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Broken Bells (Audio CD)
The best album I've heard since Doves. Brilliant songwriting, gorgeous production. Can't wait for the next one from Broken Bells.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE album of 2010, 20 Dec 2010
G. Horn "gazwozere" (Lancaster, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Broken Bells (Audio CD)
I really don't understand the negative reviews - each to their own, and all that (as James Mercer sings on the impossibly good 'The High Road') but whatever your musical preference there's no denying that this is one of the great albums of 2010...for me, it tops the list.
Any praise of Broken Bells is bound to lead to a comparison with The National and Arcade Fire, both of whom would seem to be many people's choice for album of the year (with High Violet and The Suburbs, respectively) - and deservedly so, both these albums are indeed very, very good - but as I say, to each their own: personally, I find High Violet a little tiresome and predictable; I much prefer The Suburbs, but even then I don't find it particularly inspiring on any level.
If you're a fan of The Shins, as has already been suggested here, you'll no doubt like this album...but believe me, it's so much more than just another Shins record. It's beautifully crafted - the writing, vocals, instrumentation, and production is excellent - but more than that, it brings a smile to my face every time I press 'play' on my stereo and for that reason alone it deserves my title of album of the year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps not quite reaching the heights of OMD in full flow - but a good album none-the-less, 22 Aug 2010
Keith_Joseph (West Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Broken Bells is an American rock music band based around Brian Burton and James Mercer. These two are the creative force in Broken Bells, although they are joined by a full band on tour. Following the success of this album, the good news is that Mercer and Burton have said they will record a follow-up. I'm not quite sure how to describe the band, almost a bit like a slowed down version of YES, but this time you can understand the lyrics. Can't really say whether I have a favourite 'song' on Broken Bells, as all the tracks are of similar quality really, having a similar tempo and feel, making it a very consistent and cohesive album.

The sound is very synthesiser-rock, quite gentle and almost hypnotic, with perhaps a folksie feel as well. For techno-rock one does think of British band Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark [OMD], and I have to say I rate them higher than Broken Bells when at their best. So if you like this album I would check OMD's albums out as well, with probably 'Universal' and 'Architecture & Morality' being as good a starting point as any. However, if like me you already have all of OMD's CDs then why not take a punt with this band. Listen to the Broken Bells MP3 samplers first though to see if you like their overall sound. Chances are you will - and hopefully, like OMD, their music will only get better in the follow up albums. Easily 4*.

5.0 out of 5 stars First class album - 100% winners!, 19 Mar 2010
Mr. J. Lawrenson "Joe Lawrenson" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Broken Bells (Audio CD)
Don't understand the average reviews from some people here as every song is great. This is one of the best albums I've heard in years ;-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Summery chilled indie music, 13 Mar 2010
K. Wright - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"Broken Bells" cleverly mixes indie guitar music with electronic sounds. It is a great, relaxing album to sit and listen to all the way through or to have on as background music. The standout tracks for me are "The High Road," "Vaporize," and "The Ghost Inside." The rest of the songs do blend together bit I don't really see that as a problem as it is a very chilled out CD.

At just under 38 minutes Broken Bells don't outstay their welcome and I have found myself pressing repeat even though I wouldn't ordinarily choose to listen to this type of music. Whilst it remains to be seen whether this duo will continue to make music together, I will be keeping an ear out if they do.

Broken Bells
Broken Bells by Broken Bells (Audio CD - 2010)