5.0 out of 5 stars Alfa 2000mW wireless adapter
Published on 4 Jun 2012 by Mr. P. Harvey

3.0 out of 5 stars Nowhere near as good as I hoped.
I am living in the UK for 3 months, in a solid stone cottage, which is murder for wireless signals. There is only about one square metre in the house I can get a signal, so I thought I'd give this product a go, having read very good reviews about it.

Published on 10 Sep 2010 by Buj

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Alfa 2000mW wireless adapter, 4 Jun 2012
Mr. P. Harvey "Phil" (Cornwall, UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 2000mW 2W 802.11 G / N High-Gain USB Wireless Long-Rang WiFi Network Adapter With Original Alfa Screw On Swivel 9dBi Rubber Antenna and Suction cup Window Mount dock (Electronics)
This item is possibly the most powerful USB-connected, wi-fi adapter presently on the market. At 2Watt, maximum power, it greatly extends the transmission range over the more common 1W adapters. Looked at another way, the signal transmitted by this adapter is so powerful that walls or floors have negligible attenuating effect upon the signal. A distant wireless router would have no trouble detecting its signal. Whilst I have not experimented with this adapter in an open space I can well believe it has a range of comfortably over a mile. An associated router could easily be located in another house or even in another house in another street.

I was attracted by the extra power of this adapter but what attracted me more was the 2 antennas that were supplied with the adapter. The shorter antenna provides sufficient gain to reach into the furthest corners of the average domestic residence with little degradation in either signal strength or quality. However, the longer antenna considerably enhances this range, so much so that after a few minutes to warm up the signal strength and quality have never been less than 100%. My wireless router is in another room across a landing and on an a different floor. The signal is so powerful that distances or obstructions seem to have no effect.

Not only do these antennas increase transmit power they also provide greater sensitivity. I can now detect wireless networks hundreds of yards away. I now realise there exist a community of between 16 - 20 wireless routers in my vicinity which were previously invisible to my wi-fi (100mW) equipped laptop.

The adapter body is very light compare with even the shortest antenna. A spring-loaded clip is supplied which attaches to the adapter body via a holster/sheath and enables the adapter to be clamped to a laptop screen. Personally and professionally speaking I cannot recommend this location because 2,000mW (2W) is a great deal of power even by mobile phone standards and radiating this much energy in close proximity to the human body could have unforeseen consequences. My preferred location for the adapter is over 6ft away from my laptop (and me). I purchased a quality USB cable from Lindy to connect the two together. The USB cable supplied with the adapter is around 0.5m but I much prefer the 5m cable from Lindy.

There are no controls on the adapter body but there is a pale blue LED which flickers as it transmits its signal.

A 2W transmitter gives power in abundance and if there are other 'regular' 1W wireless adapters nearby, either working on the same or an adjacent channel, the extra 1W makes a huge difference. Power is everything in such circumstances whether or not it is socially acceptable to ones neighbours who may frown that they cannot compete in the power stakes and move to another wi-fi channel. I am the dominant 'transmitter' in my area.

If I have one criticism of the Alfa wireless adapter it is the demountable clip-come-holster/sheath. The spring is not really strong enough to hold the adapter vertical, especially with the longer antenna fitted. I feel the whole assembly is top heavy which may not suit some laptops, especially if they have weak hinges. The display lid may wilt under the additional weight clamped to it. Remember, the adapter body is light, the antennas are not. If this adapter is intended to be used in a specific/fixed location, not attached to the laptop screen, I recommended taping the adapter to a solid support.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product., 16 Jun 2012
I have a caravan, and have always had poor reception from the caravan parks free WI-FI where we usually stay. This product has been better than expected and I now get 5-bar reception. Brill!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 6 Oct 2011
This antenna does all it promises.
With my simple wifi stick I had to take it on the edge of my yard in order to have access to the public nework(1/5) with many disconnections. Now with alfa wifi stick with the 9dbi antenna i have access within my room 4 bars from 5 (4/5) with rare disconnections!
I completely recommend it for such use.
It also found other 4-5 locked networks, where my older simple) wifi stick found none!

5.0 out of 5 stars Alfa AWUS036HN, 3 Mar 2012
Does what it says on the box!
All WiFi signals are boosted and the connectivity might as well be wired!
I've tested this with Windows 7 x64 and Ubuntu Linux 10.04 x86 and in both cases it boosted signal and kept a steady flow of data.
The 9dbi antenna does make a difference compared to the 5dbi antenna, though I have not yet tested the total range it works perfectly!
Thanks !

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful wi-fi card, 3 Jun 2013
Bought this card for use with a linux netbook for long range network sniffing / packet capture.

In all, it is a very good bit of kit. Worked out of the box on my backtrack linux distro. The supplied +9Db antenna is massive and is surprising how much it improves the signal over the +5Db antenna.

Tx power is set to ~20DBm when 1st plugged in, a few kernel tweaks in your OS (Change the regulatory domain for wifi & a few other things) and you will be able to boost the transmit (Tx) power all the way up to 2 watts!

My "normal" internal WIFI card stuggles to hear beacons from a known AP 1/2Km away. With this I can get AP beacons over 1 Km in heavily built up areas, signal levels for all AP's have been radically improved.

The RP-SMA antenna connector means you can plug in just about any type of antnna you wish if you buy a suitable pigtail connector.

4.0 out of 5 stars Range Excelent - SoftAP Limited, 22 Aug 2012
Bought to serve Wi-Fi at vintage show on large open space as dedicated access-point hardware with long range is too expensive and had low-power 12v powered PC available.

Was able to get good site coverage with a reliable connection possible from mobile phones at 600M radius from supplied 9dB aerial (mounted 5M above ground, connected by 5M of low-loss cable).

However SoftAP limited its usefulness. The manual implies no limit to the number of clients that can connect (it mentions a configurable limit), but real-time monitoring shows that a maximum of 15 concurrent connections are allowed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nowhere near as good as I hoped., 10 Sep 2010

Unfortunately it didn't improve my wireless signal enough to be workable. Having done some more research, it seems this is largely due to the construction of all the stone cottages around here (in terrace formation). So I can't really complain about the aerial on that basis - it's just not suited to my application.

In the end I bought a 10 metre USB extension cable, left the aerial in the 1 square metre where a signal exists, and run the cable from the aerial into the room where I wanted to use the computer.

My real gripe with this product is the driver/installation. To start with, the installation instructions don't tell you that you need to disable any existing wireless card first (which, in my book, is a big error in an instruction manual. Especially since you're unlikely to buy this product unless you've already tried a standard card - usually inbuilt - without success, so it follows that most people buying the product would already have a card installed).

Secondly, there's no real manual option for installing the driver. If you go to the manufacturer's website, the driver download is actually an exe installshield wizard, so you can't manually update the driver. Having an installshield exe to install your drivers is all great, until it isn't.

Thirdly, it seems to be a little bit flaky. Sometimes if I disconnect the USB cable and reconnect it, the wireless doesn't work. Sometimes if I disable the card in the device manager first, then disconnect it, it works ok when it's reconnected and re-enabled, but sometimes it's doesn't - sometimes the PC needs a restart to kick it back into gear.

Fourthly, I've had NO success getting it to work on my wife's laptop on Windows 7 (my laptop is running XP), using the Windows 7 driver from the manufacturer's website. The card is listed in the device manager, but is listed as 'cannot start'. As a result, the config utility that you can install with the driver, is unavailable, because it considers that the card 'does not exist'. I've done numerous installs trying different things, doing system restore each time, but still no luck. Strangely, the best success I've had is by NOT installing the driver. If I just plug the USB cable in without installing the driver, the card installs (but still says 'cannot start') and if I fiddle around with it - enable/disable/unplug/replug it will eventually come on okay and I can connect to the internet (but the connection is quite flaky). As soon as I install the proper driver, it's rendered "cannot connect" again, and no matter how much I fiddle around with it, it stays that way.

But, in the end, I now have a working internet connection on my laptop, which is good enough to make video Skype calls back to Australia from the UK. So, it's saved me in that respect, but it could be a lot better. I am also impressed with the suction cap - has been stuck to a window for a fortnight with the large, heavy aerial on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than others I have used, 23 Mar 2013
Using the smaller arial I get an excellent signal upstairs from my router which is downstairs.
It also can pick up the local BT public WiFi which I used when my own broadband supplier failed.
It also can detect neighbours signals.
It does not work with the larger arial.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent range, 1 Dec 2012
This product really does what it says on the tin!! - pulls in signals from well over a mile away. Would not hesitate to recommend

3.0 out of 5 stars It works ok..., 2 Nov 2012
....but not as well as some other reviewers suggest. Doesn't work with a Mac and no signs of new software or upgrades.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›