5.0 out of 5 stars At last.........
Published on 7 Nov. 2010 by Mrs Pisaroni

1.0 out of 5 stars An extremely poor DVD.
The picture is of poor quality and the audio is not crisp. I have complained that this DVD is unacceptable.The respocse from Nagiri is a £5 reduction also not acceptable. I need Amazon's help to solve this problem.
Published 10 months ago by Dr Terry Sheppard

5.0 out of 5 stars At last........., 7 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Metropolitan Opera Gala 1991: 25th Anniversary at Lincoln Center [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Oh thank you! At last! I watched this live and had it on VHS but when that packed up I had to accept that was it-no more viewing,so to have this on DVD is lovely. The 'Otello' and 'Rigoletto' excerpts are a joy,but what I really love this Gala for is that it introduced me to two of my favourite performers: the fabulous Thomas Hampson and Ferruccio Furlanetto. They both bowled me over! and I have a number of their performances now on DVD. Other highlights include Aprile Milo and June Anderson, a fabulous duet between Pavarotti and Domingo and a great 'Pappageno's song' by the late Herman Prey. A memorable concert that gave me much pleasure first time round and will again. I'm ordering it today!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Met Gala Outstanding, 21 Aug. 2010
E. Andrew (Paisley) - See all my reviews
Waited 20 years for DVD.
Had VHS version but it had clapped out after only a few plays. Took VHS to a shop who could put VHS onto DVD but was not possible with this because of copywrite. But after checking DG catalogue discovered DVD was made in May 2010 and sold on Amazon at a fantastic price. No regrets Ecellent buy. Total pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Opera at its best, 12 Aug. 2010
James D. Farmer "James D" (Australia) - See all my reviews
Act 3 of Rigoletto and Othello were powerful with plenty of energy and first rate singing. The Gala Sequence was fantastic. The ariars were popular and well presented by the singers..

4.0 out of 5 stars Pavarotti's nice voice, 30 Mar. 2012
The Gala 1991 consists of Regoletto act 3, Othello act 3 and Die Feredermaus act 2. The contents arenice but I prefer to listen not a part of Opera music but all. Pavarotti's voice is quite good and woundfull. As I knew 1991 was 25th anniversary, I hope 50th anniversary in 2016 will be nicer. But one problem at that time who will be actors replacing Pavarotti, Domingo and Freni?

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Best, 25 April 2014
production from 1991, It was just fabulous!, especially La Traviata which ofcourse is
a perfect Opera to showcase great talent. The Sets and the prerformaces from the excerpts of the two Opera's were excellent.
I would have preferred the last act of Othello but still the presentation and singing was first class.

1.0 out of 5 stars An extremely poor DVD., 13 Jun. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful evening at the Met., 27 Jun. 2012
This is another very good release from the Met and like previous reviewers, I saw it first on TV, then on the video release. Like the Centennial Gala, this has given us a great deal of entertainment over the years (hence 5-stars) and is a regular to be played through the stereo system as background music. However, it is much more than that.
When this opened the 1991 season critics were divided, Opera Now reported that Pavarotti threw out a regular perfomance as the Duke of Mantua, whilst Domingo drove the audience to tears with his passion and wonderful portrayal of Otello. Personally, I think both tenors are on top-form, it just that the roles are so incomparably different. Pavarotti sings with his usual beauty and his vocal lines take the breath away, but the Duke is a trivial, 'play-boy' type character who precipitates heartache and distaster to everyone around him - and importantly, he doesn't care (no matter what he pretends in Act II). So, I think Pavarotti has it just right and this performance of Act III is very good - but, (there's always a but) I'm not convinced by Cheryl Studer's Gilda and there were better Rigolettos available than Leo Nucci (who I always think is a bit wooden). Birgita Svendon is one of the best Maddelenas I've seen or heard (her Erda is pretty top-class too) and you can't go wrong with Nicolai Ghiaurov. So in all, Act III from Rigoletto is very good.
Act III of Otello, on the other hand, is just to die for - no weak links, everyone perfectly in character, one of the best Desdemonas you are ever likely to see, a perfect Iago in the superb Justino Diaz and an Otello that is totally under the skin of the role. I consider his 'Dio! Mi potevi...' here to be the bench mark for all others. I remember first watching this and as the cutain fell, I turned to my wife, almost choked with emotion; and just managed to garble 'that it was the best thing I had ever seen.' Other than Die Meistersinger at Covent Garden, under Haitink, I still think that!
I don't think I can praise this performance any better than that; but if you haven't seen it, then I urge to buy this immediately. You won't see or hear anything better than the Act III of Otello on this disk.
Nor is there much to gripe about in Act III of Die Fledermaus - all the principals are brilliant and what a good idea it was to end the gala with an assembly of very special guests at the ball. Now, as I said in my review of the Centennial Gala, in a sequence like this you are unlikely to have perfect performances from everyone and this is no exception. Sherril Milnes (who I greatly admire) cannot have been very satisfied with his performace of 'Maria' and I just didn't like Sam Ramey's 'Impossible dream' at all.
I have never like Kathleen Battle (or maybe it's her off-stage behavious I don't like) - she has a pretty enough voice, but for me it has no substance or depth to it (sorry if you love her, but I don't: nor does Barbara Daniels either, if the looks she is giving her have anything to go by. Maybe she was in the house the night Battle threw all Caroll Vaness's clothes into the coridor, because she wanted her dressing room!!).
However, the price of the disk is worth it just for Tom Hampson's 'Largo al factotum' (it is brilliant) and Mirella Freni's 'Io son l'umile ancella' (it is perfect). Then there is Pavarotti and Domingo performing the duet from Act IV of La Boheme. It was so well received that they both planned to record the complete opera together; recording contracts made it just a pipe-dream in the end, what a tragedy!
So there we are - a fabulous release and I urge you to buy it. If you do, I can only hope that it gives your family and friends the same degree of pleasure that it has for us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!, 9 Mar. 2014
I have been looking for this item for years. Finally I have found it and what a wonder to see and listen to,especially the soloists.