4.0 out of 5 stars Great Friday Night Film
Published on 24 May 2010 by JennyD

I tried real hard to like "Date Night" but it was good in my books rather than being great. My wife digged it more than I did.

Published 4 months ago by Mark Barry

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Friday Night Film, 24 May 2010
JennyD (Manchester, Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Date Night [DVD] (DVD)
I'd heard great things about this film, afterall it throws the a King and a Queen of American Comedy together. Personally i don't really like Steve Carell, he annoys me but in this film he actually came across as a really likable guy. Fey is on top form and is fantastic as ever. Both actors give it their all and there is chemistry between them, you can believe they are a couple.

The script is fantastic though admittedly there are afew lines that are meant to be funny but don't quite work. Thats just my view. The storyline; a couple is growing apart due to the pressure of daily life including kids and work. Determined to bring the spark back into their marriage they decide to go on a date but when they get to the restaurant they find it fully booked. When a couple who booked a table don't turn up Carell & Fey decide to take their place. It turns out that the couple whose identity they have stolen are wanted by criminals. I won't say too much more because i don't want to give away everything. Really though the story isn't the most important thing, its all about the laughs. My favourite parts: the escape in the slowest boat ever & the sex robots. If you want to laugh and cheer yourself up, if you want a easy to watch film which isn't demanding at all you can't do much better than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too film, 28 April 2014
craig donnelly (delft, delft Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Date Night (Amazon Instant Video)
It was a really funny film. Steve Carell at his best as usual & Tina Fey was good too. Recommend it

3.0 out of 5 stars "Date Night" on BLU RAY - Compatibility Issues On The 'US' Disc..., 11 Mar 2014
Mark Barry "Mark Barry" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Anyway if you're a fan - be aware that the 'US' 20th Century Fox BLU RAY is REGION A LOCKED (no matter how Extended the version may be) and therefore won't play on our machines unless they're chipped to be 'all regions' (which few are).

Stick with the UK variant (Region B). It's dirt-cheap now and a fun night in...

4.0 out of 5 stars You could do worse than have a date with Tina and Steve, 25 Nov 2012
This review is from: Date Night [DVD] (DVD)
Date Night tells the story of a married couple (Steve Carell and Tina Fey) who are stuck in a bit of a rut and whose lives revolve around their kids and work (just like so many of us). However, the similarities end when they get mistaken for criminals during their weekly `date night' and are ruthlessly hunted down across New York by the mob.

I feel after that brief plot summary I should write `...with hilarious consequences.' However, that would not be accurate. Date Night is not a `laugh a minute' film. I actually think it's better than that. It goes to great lengths to portray a `normal' married couple who, although are happy together, there's still that little something - call it a spark? - that's gone out. It's a funny film, but mixed with decent observations and character development that lifts it emotionally from the likes of American Pie and The Hangover.

It's funny and entertaining and, although not that original in its storyline, the chemistry between Carell and Fey is undeniable. I think that most couples married for a long time will easily understand the situation of Phil and Claire.

A great date movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars recommend., 7 Jun 2014
Mohammed87 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Date Night [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I would have given 5 stars but the quality and dimension was disappointing. I feel that it was lacking - quality, but not from the movie itself. the movie was really funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars funny, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Date Night [DVD] (DVD)
Very funny film however at times in the film it did get a bit silly but Steve Carell is very funny as always!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of DATE NIGHT, 23 Feb 2014
This review is from: Date Night [DVD] (DVD)
Steve Carell and Tiny Fey star as a married couple, who after stealing a resveration and a really posh restaurant for their Date Night (see the title trick there?) are on the run from 2 dirty cops. I think that this movie was hilarious, with shocking sexual references throughout the movie and a running gag about Jeanne Tripplehorn. Don't forget, Mark Walberg stars in the movie, who Fey acts crazily about... The movie is a thriller, along with romatic, and comedic, with bizzare situations happening every minute, which liftens up the plot a lot more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Date Night (2010), 24 Jan 2014
This review is from: Date Night [DVD] (DVD)
I've been putting off watching this movie for a while and when I finally got around to it I wish I would have watched it sooner!
Not the biggest Tina Fay/Steve Carrol fan but I enjoyed them both in this movie & it made me laugh more than a few times.

Our two main characters are a married couple with two kids afraid they are getting stuck into the same routine that may one day lead to a divorce as they have seen happen to their friends, In hope to change things up a bit they go into the city to the new top fancy restaurant but are unable to get a seat as all reservations have been made and its fully booked, In a spontaneous moment they decide to take somebody else's reservation who hasn't turned up. This then results in an hilarious action packed night been mistaken for a couple who have a USB that everybody is after and can get them into a lot of trouble.

I really loved the character Tina Fay played in this, that's where i got most of my laughs from but I know for sure I will be watching this one again and I would recommend it to a friend, I think both male and female, young and old will all be able to get a kick out of this!

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: Date Night [DVD] (DVD)
great film when i brought it at the time two yrsa go haha..great just using up the word space as has to be 16 owrds and over haha

3.0 out of 5 stars Mildly entertaining, 9 Oct 2013
T. Cosens (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Date Night [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Date Night wont be having you rolling about in hysterical laughter but it will leave you with a goofy smile on your face. Tina Fey and Steve Carrell are two of the most consistently funny and entertaining people in Hollywood today, however here they fall a little flat.

The problem lies with the marriage between comedy and serious thriller. It doesn't quite gel. A normal couple decide to try and enjoy life a little more and end up taking someone else's reservation at a swanky restaurant. This leads to a case of mistaken identity which in turn leads to various sticky situations.

The point is a boring everyday couple like these two are suddenly thrown into a life of committing breaking and entering and taking part in car chases etc. This should be funny right? Well sometimes yes but mainly no. Fey and Carrell are perfectly able of raising a laugh but here they seem to jar uneasily from light humour to all out seriousness. It also doesn't help that they spend most of the film trying to out gurn each other.

The film is easy to watch and it is for that reason that it just about survives. Not hilarious but not disasterous this should provide light entertainment.

Date Night [DVD]
Date Night [DVD] by Steve Carell (DVD - 2010)
3.80