5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!
Great sequel to Uglies. Really well written sci-fi yong adult fiction.

(some spoilers from the first book follow)

Tally is pretty - something that happens to all sixteen-year-olds. Being pretty isn't just superficial though, the operation has deeper consequences. At the start of the book, Tally doesn't remember that she's endured the operation so the...
Published on 1 Feb 2010 by Tasha

1.0 out of 5 stars Terriffic book, but what's with the typos in the Kindle edition?
I've really enjoyed everything I've read by Westerfeld, both his adult and young adult books. The Uglies quartet is a great adventure series -- gripping, plenty of drama, and offering a lot to think about. But the Kindle edition of the second book is loaded with typos: missing periods on almost every other page, poor capitalization, misspelled words and malapropisms...
Published on 9 Jan 2011 by Nicholas Seeley

4.0 out of 5 stars Good young adult, dystopian read!, 19 May 2012
This review is from: Pretties (Uglies) (Kindle Edition)
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
This is book 2 in the `Uglies' series. **Warning** Unavoidable spoilers for book 1 - `Uglies'.
It is now about a month since Tally turned herself over to the authorities and had the surgery to make her pretty. She's now pretty, and also pretty vacant. A big decision for Tally now is choosing the correct attire to a semi-formal party, and whether she should take calorie purgers with her meal or not.

Tally and Shay are BFF, as Shay has forgotten a lot of what transpired between them at the smoke, and Tally also has a new love interest - Zane. Tally, Shay, and Zane are all part of a clique called `the criminals' (all due to the pranks they played as uglies), and they continue to try to think of tricks to play now.

After Croy (one of the smokies), turns up during a fancy dress party, and gives Tally the directions to find 2 pills; Tally and Zane go on the hunt for them, which involves climbing a massive metal tower on top of a building. When Tally finally discovers the pills, she and Zane take one each, and they soon begins to feel `bubbly' (can actually think clearly).

Thus follows Tally's attempt to escape from New Pretty Town, and all the drama that goes along with it. The Specials didn't like Tally's escape before, and they're certainly not going to let her get away from them a second time. Especially when it seems that instead they want to make her one of them!

I enjoyed this book. I don't want to give too much away, but I really liked the twists in this storyline, and how natural Tally's progression was from `pretty' to `bubbly'. I liked the fact that life wasn't easy for Tally. Things didn't just fall into place for her, and even with the pills she had to work to think clearly still. I also liked the fact that the authorities continued to think of more and more ways to keep tabs on Tally and Zane. Ways that even Tally and Zane couldn't guess at.

Once again there were the cool gadgets in this book - hoverboards, calorie purgers (remove the calories from food - yes please!), holes in the wall that produce clothes to order, and all other sorts of things.

The storyline wasn't exactly what I expected after reading the first book, but it was different in a good way.
Overall; a good young adult/ dystopian read.
8 out of 10.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was OK...Nothing Special., 9 April 2012
This review is from: Pretties (Uglies) (Kindle Edition)
I think the general consensus among people who have read this is that it is not as good as 'Uglies'. It is more of the same really, and I found it very VERY slow to begin with but, once Tally starts adventuring again, I really liked it! I think I preferred this one to 'Uglies' because it's much more sinister and dark and frustrating...which I know are not everyone's cup of tea but I like those elements!

Tally is a bit annoying in this one though. One of the things I likes about the first one was the way she was so adamant she wanted to be pretty, just like everyone else that lived there; she wasn't particularly gifted or special. She was immersed in the ideology of the place she lived in and was very much a product of society. In this one, she is portrayed as some amazing gifted self-curing superwoman which did annoy me quite a lot. I preferred it when she was more normal.

From page 200 onwards I loved the book. Until that point I had been flagging, reading 20 pages here and there, never really getting properly into it and just looking forward to finishing it so I could move onto another book! However, as soon as I hit the 200 page point I suddenly got hooked! I found it really exciting and I loved how where in the first half things had seemed too easy for Tally, suddenly she faced real problems and real dangers and things became much more difficult. Maybe I just wanted to punish her for forgetting David...I kindof love David. The love triangley aspect of Tally having to sort of choose between David and Zane didn't really do it for me but mehh when it's young adult you come to expect that sort of thing! Girl is so desirable two guys fight over her...who didn't want that when she was 14!? I know I did.

Overall...I thought I wasn't going to bother with the rest of the Uglies series when I first started this book but now I really want 'Specials'! I loved the ending and want to know what happens next! Yes I know it will be formulaic and another version of what has already happened in the first two books but...you know...sometimes formulas are GOOD....mc squared...that one is important...I think. JUST KEEP TELLING MYSELF THAT IT'S OK TO LIKE THIS.

EDIT: I have been reading other reviews about the mutilation aspect of this book and I wanted to write a quick note about that. It does seem very strange that to feel more 'bubbly' which is another way of saying 'feel more alive/feel more about the world/have a better clarity of mind' you can cut yourself. This is a weird message. I guess the author is trying to think of things that would cause adrenalin like climbing tall towers, kissing boys, getting tattoos...but it does seem strange that cutting yourself is given power in this novel. Although the main characters see it as wrong, I still don't think it should've been included.(less)

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good moments but generally fairly disappointing, 22 Mar 2012
This review is from: Pretties (Uglies) (Kindle Edition)
I read the first book in this series a couple of months ago and had been meaning to read the sequel for some time. Having just finished and really enjoyed the Hunger Games books, I was in the mood for more YA dystopia and decided to give this a go. Disappointingly, this book seemed weaker than both its predecessor, Uglies, and the Hunger Games, which I've often seen it compared to.

I very much got the feeling that it was definitely for teens. Indeed, some of the rather repetitive Hoverboarding sections almost felt like something that would be more at home in an actual kid's book. It's a shame that it didn't quite come together, because the premise - everyone has an operation to turn them beautiful, but also pliant and non-questioning - was an interesting one, but whilst it kept my attention in book one, here, less seemed to be done with it.

Part of the problem was that life actually seemed really quite pleasant for most people (racism, anorexia, body image problems and environmental issues have been got rid of, no one is poor or hungry, the totalitarian government rarely seem to do anything very evil other than stop people rebelling) so unlike in other similar books where things are clearly horrific, it was hard to feel any fervour for Tally, the main character's, attempts to rebel against or bring down the system.

The first part, with its introduction to "Pretty" life was rather fun even if the endless slang got trying, but it trailed off from there. Most of the supporting cast from the first book were all but abandoned, with David getting about two scenes towards the end, Peris being replaced by someone called Zane as potential pretty love interest and Shay going from shallow to almost a villain figure.

I'd only really recommend if you really loved the first book and are actually in the target age group. I'm still debating whether the give book three a try or let the series go.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little slow going, 4 Nov 2010
Miss Victoria Ramage (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
In the second part of the Uglies series, Tally Youngblood is a pretty - and trying to escape from it. Tally meets Zane, another Pretty who is trying to escape from the fuzzy haze that affects all Pretties and together they try and work out how to get themselves out of New Pretty Town...

This book is good but not as good as first. As a sandwich filling it is a good book though, introducing new characters to keep the story fresh and also introduces a new love interest - Zane. Zane is an interesting character and stays with Tally up to the end of the book, not sure what will happen to him in the next one.
Peris, Tally's old friend isn't mentioned much either, even though it's because of him Tally met Shay and all of the other crazy things happened.
I felt that there could have been more action in this book - there were loads in the first but barely any in this one. I found it almost boring up to about 50% of the book. The Smokies are barely mentioned either, so Tally is left to try and fight her way out by herself - although she does have Zane. Shay is mentioned too but in this book she comes across as a very angry character, hellbent on revenge.
The Pretty words that are used a lot really annoyed me at times, it wasn't the words themselves, just the way they were used, although I did get used to it after a while. Stuff like - Bubbly, Bogus, Fashion-missing, Shay-la, Tally-wa, Pretty-making, Face-missing, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Reading, 9 Jan 2010
Mrs. S. Burton (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Just finished this book. Is very easy reading (which is all I want) and I read last thing at night - interesting twists - makes you realise how 'shallow' life can be. I am addicted to the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking, well paced and exciting, 12 April 2008
Set a couple of months after UGLIES, Tally is now pretty and anxious to discover whether she's been voted into the Crims (a group of pretties known for playing tricks). Tally's best friends with Shay, but is drawn to the leader of the Crims, Zane, and is disturbed by vague memories she has of her time in the Smoke. When her former friend from the Smoke, Croy crashes a pretty party to give her a message, she begins to question being a pretty and forms a connection with Zane, who's discovered that his thinking becomes clearer when he stops eating food in Pretty Town and pursues new sensations. Together, they act on Croy's message, the repercussions of which have a drastic impact on the Crims and Tally's friendship with Shay and brings them to the attention of the terrifying Specials.

Westerfeld maintains the excellent pace of UGLIES and weaves in more details of pretty society, notably the social cliques that the pretties form to reflect their particular interests. Westerfeld expands on the mind-control elements of being made pretty in a thoughtful way and the scenes where Tally and Zane counter this by trying to be 'bubbly' all the time are well portrayed (although I have concerns about the scenes where they stop eating food, because there's a potential for some readers to misinterpret the purpose). There's a chilling contrast between Tally and Zane's attempts to stay 'bubbly' and Shay's solution. My only quibble is that I wanted to see more of what happens to Shay and Tally when Shay's memories return as it would have helped flesh out some of Shay's anger and jealousy and provided more of a backdrop to her self-destructive behaviour.

David returns towards the end of the book, although the scenes are brief, as were the scenes set in the New Smoke, which I'd have liked to see expanded to provide an idea of what was happening with the Smokies whilst Tally was pretty. The love triangle between David, Tally and Zane was also too cursorily handled to make much impact and I hope that this will be explored more in Specials.

The end of the book is chilling and provides a good set up for the next book SPECIALS. At the same time, PRETTIES works as a complete story within its own right, although you do need to read UGLIES first to get the most out of it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misuse of the word 'retarded' - not acceptable, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: Pretties (Uglies) (Kindle Edition)
I didn't even get as far as what Tally did next. Westerfield got himself straight onto my 'Do not read' list for misusing the word 'retarded' twice in the first 12% of the book (goodness knows how many more times, I won't be reading on to find out). Pretty-speak is intensely irritating at best, but using the r-word is a deal breaker for me. "That's so retarded" = that's so bad it's as bad as someone intellectually disabled. Not acceptable.

A great pity, I enjoyed uglies immensely, but I won't be reading any more Pretties, or anything else by this author.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good book, 28 July 2013
This review is from: Pretties (Uglies) (Paperback)
If that girl had said buggies or whatever it was she was saying one more time I would have just binned the book without geting to the end.

Pretties (Uglies)