Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.99

on 31 October 2002
I bought this album, after I was so impressed by her last album, Breathe (and I must admit I am a big fan of Faith's music), but this album completely blew me away!!! I think that with this album, Faith successfully completes her crossover from Country to rock/pop, and this album has a kind of soft-rock feel to it.The album opens with 'Free', a fun rock/pop song that sounds like nothing Faith has ever done before! 'Cry' is a ballad quite similar to 'Breathe' in the way that it builds up to the chorus. There are also plenty of softer ballads as well, such as 'When the lights go down' and 'You're still here', but Faith shines best in the more rock-sounding songs, as she has a strong voice. 'This is Me' and 'Back to you' are perfect examples where Faith uses her voice to its maximum potential. The two best songs on the album are the song 'Beautiful' (which literally is), with its spoken verses, and 'I Think I will', which starts with an eastern-sound, but builds up into a beautiful slow-burning rock song.Faith proves that she has what it takes with this album, and hopefully we will all be hearing more of her in the future!
on 20 June 2003
WOW! This is one of the best albums of this year with song that make you wanna get up and sing into your hairbrush, and songs that are just really romantic. Songs like "One" really show her vocal ability and "This is Me" with a really dramatic opening make the album worth every penny. A much more mature album than her last, if this is how her music matures I cant ait for the next one!!
on 27 May 2010
Originally purchased this album in the US back in november 2002 and must say that 8 years since that it's still one of my favourite albums ever. Cry is an incredible body of work, very consistent, doesn't let you down with a single song. Not only Faith is an incredibly beautiful woman, she's also an incredible singer, managing to delivery her heart and soul with every song she sings. I've been listening to it so many times that thought there's nothing else left to discover. However when I put it into a shuffle, the songs come out in different sequence which makes them new again and makes me appreciating them even more. Free was always one of my favourites, upbit song with the very strong message. In times of a breakdown it always helped me to see the light at the end of even the darkest tunnel. Baby You Belong is bringing tears to my eyes no matter how many time I listen to it. I think I Will is another winner and one of the strongest and rockiest songs on the album. You're Still Here is a beautiful and heartbreaking ballad and a proper closer for a great ablum. If someone asks me if I like this album, I would definitely say No, as I LOVE this album. Highly recommended. Bless
P.S. also purchase Cry single together with the album, as it contains 2 non-album tracks: rocker Wicked and gut-wrenching ballad Shadows. Thumbs Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 February 2012
"Cry" by Faith Hill was released on a CD on the label Warner Bros. in October 2002. There are 14 tracks on this album, and the total running time is about 60 minutes.

Faith Hill was born in 1967; in 1996 she married Tim McGraw, who is sometimes described as the King of Country music. She has released several albums (studio recordings and compilations).

* Her first album Take Me As I Am was released in 1993.

* Her second album It Matters to Me was released in 1995.

* Her third album Faith was released in 1998.

* Her fourth album Breathe was released in 1999.

"Cry" (which is under review here) is her album # 5. Inside the jewel-case there is a booklet with 14 pages including five pictures of the artist. Inside the booklet you will find detailed information about the music on the CD. For each track you will find the title, the running time, the names of the composers, the lyrics to the song, and the names of the musicians who appear on this particular track.

Unfortunately, the layout of the text is highly unprofessional: the whole text is written with capital letters - LIKE THIS! To make matters worse, the lines are too long, and there is almost no space between them, which means that it is almost impossible to read the text.

Who is responsible for this sad situation? According to the booklet, art direction and package design is done by Massand Peploe, while art administration is done by Sandra Westerman. I would never hire them to do a job for me.

Fortunately, the booklet is not the most important part of this product.

If the CD is played on a computer, the titles and the names of the composers will show up on the screen.

Faith Hill did not write any songs for this album. All songs on this album are written by others. But she has a powerful voice, and (in most cases) she knows how to pick some good songs.

"Cry" was a commercial success. In the US alone more than two million copies have been sold and worldwide more than four million copies have been sold. It reached # 1 on the US Billboard Top Country Albums and # 1 on the US Billboard 200.

The success is well-deserved. This is a good album, but it is not great. Why do I say so? I have two reasons:

On her first album Take Me As I Am (from 1993) and on her second album It Matters to Me (from 1995) some songs are soft and slow, while others are faster and have a harder beat. The combination of slow and fast songs makes a good variation. In addition, her first two albums have a strong country flavour, which I like.

When you listen to "Cry" you will that all songs (except track # 1) have the same slow beat. There is no variation here. When you listen to "Cry" you will find that she has turned her back on country and crossed over to pop.

I miss the variation and I miss the country flavour. Therefore I think this album deserves a rating of four stars.
on 9 January 2003
I never really knew faith's work up until i heard her song "cry", and i was really moved by it. And so i went on and bought the album- and i wasn't disappointed!!! Every song here is a standout track- no fillers at all!!! They're all sound so great, the melody, the lyrics, the arragements, and her voice- oh my god - her voice!!! What a beautiful voice she has!!!
From start to finish this album is a winner!!!
Free- i love it!! what a great, up-beat song!!! prepare yourself to sing along in no time!!
Cry- i love this song so much!!!!
one- more r'n'b sound- and it sounds great!
when the lights go down- a nice ballad.
beautiful- this one is so romantic, i almost melt each time i hear it!
unsaveable- nice up beat song
you belong- a great ballad!!! strong vocals
if you're gonna fly away- sophisticated. nice!
stronger- another good ballad!
if this is the end- yet another great slow song!
this is me- beautiful meaning, love this too!
back to you- another favourite- very strong!
i think i will- great opening!!! (like shania's blue c.d...)
you're still here- the album is finished with this beautiful ballad, that leaves a taste for more...
but hey- once the hour is over, you just push play, and let it play all over again!!!
This album is a winner as i said before- go get it NOW!
on 20 February 2003
Whatever anyone says, this is not a country album. Instead Faith hams it up big style as dramatic strings and big electric guiitar solos sweep perfectly along her big, powerful voice. If you liked Breath and If My Heart Had Wings from the last album then you will almost certainly love every song on Cry.
Best songs:
1) Back To You - Faith shows she can rock. This is crying out to be played in a big stadium.
2) Cry - Faith at her emotional best. Sing along in the Car when you've been dumped!
6) When The Lights Go Down - Camp! Camp! Camp! Every time you wait for the guitar solo and orchestra hits - and they hit the spot every time :)
12) If This Is The End - This title sounds like a Faith song doesnt it!? Magnificent.
13) This Is Me - Even Faith is human. Remember that!
14) I Think I Will - A bit like Des Ree's Life. But much better cos not every line rhymes.
To Sum-Up - A great album to both rrrock and cry to!
The first time I heard Faith Hill was when I was on holiday in America back in 1998. I was listening to the local radio country and western channel which was playing her song called “This Kiss”. Whilst there I bought “Faith”, “Take Me as I am” and “It Matters to Me”.

When I was back in the America in 2002 Faith Hill had just released another album, I knew it wouldn’t be in the UK for a while so I treated myself to the album whilst there. So “Cry” is my fourth album of hers.

The CD booklet has the lyrics to all the songs and some still photos.

I love listening to the entire CD, but if you were to ask me if I’d a favourite I’d have to say yes, it’s the entire CD. :-)

It’s a must for any Faith Hill fan and I can highly recommend it. :-)
on 5 April 2011
WOW!!!
Only recently found this artist, and this is my 2nd Amazon download of her music. OK so I'm just turned 65 but the title track hit the spot like a bullet. This is for me one of the best tracks I have ever heard in my life. Don't really care what the country purists think of her, they said the same about Shania, and both singers are totally outstanding. Anyway, still getting used to rest of the album, some tracks are instant favourites whilst others will grow. I'm not going to disect the album, others far more knowledgeable have aslready done that, if there's anybody out there who hasn't bought Cry yet............WHY?
"Breathe" might be next.
Keep the Faith.
Cry
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 February 2014
absolutely bowled over by faith hills music. the newer albums from 'faith' onwards are the best ie breathe and cry but the singing is amazing and the songs are fresh and original. 'cry' has some wonderful songs on it inculding 'free', 'one' and if you're gonna fly away and is a must for any fan of faith hill, any fan of country, any fan of female singers and really any fan of music full stop. check out the live dvd also - when the lights go down - faith hill makes singing look mega easy and is a pleasure to see. :)
on 27 November 2006
I don't know how but Faith Hill just cant produce a bad song. This is top stuff. Like her other albums, this has fantastic song after the other. Its got sad stuff that helps you think when your feeling a bit down and amazing up beat country rock which will have you moving weather you like it or not.

The way in which Faith Hill sings country rock is outstanding. This album has some of the best songs ever written, so does her other albums.

You cant go wrong with this.