5.0 out of 5 stars A sensational read
I made the mistake of starting this book on a week-end. Mistake because i could not put the book down and my week-end went out of the window. I read a few of Simon Kernick's novels, but this one in my humble opinion is the best of the lot.
The book starts slowly and draws you in until you are just hooked.
The main characters are Sean Egan an undercover cop and...
Published on 14 Mar 2010 by Markus Ronald

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but the same...
On the one hand this book is brilliant - as usual with Kernick the plot and pace are fast & furious and I cannot put the book down until I have read it all (4 hours!!)

BUT.... I have read all of his books and I am beginning to wonder if the plot will ever change - the main character with emotional / drink problems has a single minded cavalier approach to...
Published on 17 Feb 2010 by P. Mumford

5.0 out of 5 stars A sensational read, 14 Mar 2010
Markus Ronald "Ronnie" (Israel) - See all my reviews
The book starts slowly and draws you in until you are just hooked.
The main characters are Sean Egan an undercover cop and DI Tina Boyd. Egan's job is to infiltrate a top london gang and Boyd's job is to bring a serial killer to justice. Cleverly Mr Kernick intertwines both characters till you think we have reached a very satisfying result. However Mr Kernick keeps us glued to our chairs for another chapter and sadly the book ends.

All i can say is that hopefully Mr Kernick will bring back Egan and Boyd in a future novel as together they will make an incredible team.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Last 10 Seconds, 11 July 2011
Another great book from Simon Kernick. As with all the others, I read it within 2 days, just could not put it down. The plot swisted and turned, the characters very lifelike and the way he writes, makes you believe you're there. Looking forward to his next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspend Belief...but great entertainment, 2 Jan 2011
Excellent entertainment but you have to suspend belief as the bodies mount up and each new twist emerges.If you want realistic crime fiction read Graham Hurley's excellent books,if you're wondering where Lee Child has gone wrong recently then this book is for you as Sean Egan wades through piles of bodies despite an ever-increasing list of serious injuries in a manner that makes Jack Reacher look like a big girl's blouse.
Plenty of graphic violence and I laughed out loud at some of it,possibly not Simon Kernick's intention,as it sometimes bordered on "Tom and Jerry",and thankfully he didn't kill off every character as that would have stuffed the sequel....but it was a close run thing.
If this sounds critical it's not,I loved it,just don't take it too seriously and you will as well,I actually read it cover to cover one cold Sunday afternoon,once I'd started I didn't want to stop.Looking forward to Mr Kernick's next effort immensely.

5.0 out of 5 stars This could be his best novel?, 10 Feb 2011
Brian Butterly "Varied Taste" (Dorking UK) - See all my reviews
I started this book on the way to work and was immediately captive to the plot. Henceforth I looked forward to every opportunity to read more. In quiet moments, I tried to think through what was happening in either the Sean Egan thread or in the context of Tina Boyd and her colleagues' investigations but I was completely out-foxed by Mr Kernick.
It is difficult to imagine how tense and stressful being under-cover can get but I believe the portrayal in this book probably gets very close to the feelings, reactions and experience?
I enjoyed the story and the very entertaining sub-plots and the skilfull inter-weaving, so I do not wish to go into detail in case a comment spoils it. Suffice to say I was happy with the outcomes and thoroughly enjoyed the characters. Some of the people we met were new and some will be familiar faces from Simon's previous stories.
A very enjoyable read and superb story-telling - Many thanks to the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Best Yet, 12 Jan 2011
Simon Kernick's books always hook you from the first line to the last and `The Last 10 Seconds' is no exception. I would put it up there as my favourite Kernick book alongside `The Crime Trade'. You get two perspectives as a complex series of crimes is unravelled & from two cops who are both anti-heroes, Tina Boyd and Sean Egan. Neither plays by the rule book, and both have a personal need for revenge. Kernick likes a good anti-hero but for me Undercover Cop Egan was his best yet and I hope he returns in another book. The story is really all about Boyd and Egan, who both admit they are `too alike' by the end, but the central crime plot is also strong - a serial killer's crimes are used to mask a murder that connects the Government, corrupt policeman and murderous underworld gangs. All is revealed at great pace - roll on the next Kernick adaventure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heart stopping or Heart racing?, 9 Nov 2012
Jo D'Arcy (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
There is always a risk when reviewing thriller genre novels in my opinion - you inadvertently giveaway the plot without realising it and then there is no point in going to buy the book! That could easily happen with this book - so I am going to try my best but I have given you fair warning.

DI Tina Boyd is a detective that likes to detect, she does not want to be stuck behind the desk detecting paperwork, she wants to be on the ground and in the action. Even when she is not meant to out on the ground, she gets involved in the arrest of The Night Creeper - a man who has killed five women and has reigned London for two years. But something about the death of one of these women, does not add up to The Night Creeper, but when all the evidence points to him, is it better if Tina just lets it go and be happy with a result, even if it is not quite justice. If you know Tina then the answer is to fight to the bitter end for the correct result.

Sean Egan is used to the world of the criminal as well as the cop - he can do both successfully. Sean Egan is an undercover cop. Similar to Tina with his work ethic he wants to get to the truth and enjoys the work on the ground. Justice is important, but Sean is carrying the burden of something happening to someone close to him. This is the justice he seeks, but do the boundaries of work and personal life become blurred and in this particular case has Sean got in too deep?

Two separate storylines, that you know are going to intertwine somewhere. They do and with some surprising results and whilst you need to keep your wits about you to follow all the different threads of the story, they weave together to a conclusion, that I did not necessarily see coming.

If you like pacy thrillers and don't mind something that gets your heart racing, this could well be the book for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars A real roller-coaster of a story that never flags, 19 Dec 2010
Bluebell (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Last 10 Seconds: (Tina Boyd 5) (Kindle Edition)
I've read a couple of other Simon Kernick books and know that he sets a fast pace with one twist and turn after another. This book is no exception: it's an exciting "page-turner" of a book with bodies strewn about the place James Bond style. It has many of the clichés of detective fiction: maverick policemen/women who don't play by the rules; broken relationships; heavy drinking, etc., but Kernick pulls it off by the sheer relentless pace of the story (qv another of his books Relentless which I would also recommend]. The revelations come thick and fast in the final chapters of the book so that one doesn't delve too deeply into how plausible the explanations might be. Great stuff! I've just started down-loading e-books to my iPad and the reservations i ad, when I first heard about electronic books some years ago,have disappeared and I think they're great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scary Crime, 30 Jun 2010
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
If there's one thing that Simon does well its scare the living hell out of you. Not that he's a horror writer but his crime work is really something that's pretty unique as well as a real treat to any who read his writing. Within this offering is a tale that keeps you guessing to the last minute as well as allowing the reader to have their heart in their mouth as each scene plays out. Its beautifully constructed with a story arc that wends it merry way around the imagination in such a way that you'll find this a hard title to put down.

Back that up with characters that you come to care about, some real character growth alongside realistic dialogue and its something that will scratch that crime itch that few fail to do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Action packed, 9 Feb 2010
Michael Watson "skirrow22" (Halifax, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Simon Kernick's new novel follows on from many of his earlier books, not just with certain characters from before but also in the way the story is put together. There is no doubt that action takes centre stage and there is much of it. This is mainly due to the incompetence of Sean Egan, the undercover cop, who finds himself at death's door more than the average hero of similar books. That he survives is then down, often, to good luck and a definite suspension of belief when pitting the abilities of one man against many.

That said, when you buy a Kernick novel you should know what you will be buying into so I was not disappointed. It's easy to read - my copy arrived at lunchtime yesterday and I'm now on to another book. Egan is no great shakes as an undercover cop, frankly and how he's survived ten years in such a position is beyond me but then, I'm not an undercover cop, honest, guv.

As with Graham Hurley's books, we have two separate police departments doing their own thing, both of which are chasing the same outcome but for different reasons. Egan is after the killers of his brother, Tina Boyd is tracking down a serial killer/rapist. In each case, the police appear to be one step behind everyone else, hence the luckless Egan finding himself in tricky situations. I couldn't and didn't warm to Egan as portrayed in this book and it will be giving nothing away to say that New Zealand calls not before time. Tina Boyd, I'm sure, will be back as yet another flawed police stalwart, with a liking for booze and a disliking for relationships. Ah well, I'm sure I shall read Kernick's next book. He's good value if you like escapism - and who doesn't from time to time? I would have given three and a half stars but since I can't I think four is better than three because of the readability of the book and the way the author does draw you into the folds of the story. Now for Lee Childs and another Jack Reacher story - if only for comparison's sake..

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stonking read!, 21 Jan 2010
Angel (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I have to say that this is the only book I have ever started and read completely within 6 hours!! It is a fantastic plot, two story lines of two different detectives, that ultimately join into the main plot of the story. And even at the end when you think it is all sorted - another five chapters of thrilling action!!! I cannot praise Simon Kernick enough - this is one fantastic read from start to finish and I highly recommend you try it ..

The Last 10 Seconds: (Tina Boyd 5)
3.99