5.0 out of 5 stars Sharing a gift from my youth
My mum bought me the first in the Belgariad series when I was 13 in 1983. I didn't start reading the book until a year later, but by then was completely hooked on the expanding story line.
I bought the next four books in one go and read them all in a matter of weeks.
Published on 6 Dec. 1999 by A. Carey

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay
Slightly more ware and tear than advertised on the web page but passable.
Published 7 months ago by sarah prophet

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharing a gift from my youth, 6 Dec. 1999
A. Carey "adamarket" (Vallejo, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought the next four books in one go and read them all in a matter of weeks.
I've just returned to the series in order to buy them for my nephew who is about to turn 13, about the age I started reading the series and the age of the main character in the series, Garian.
I would recommend these books (this series, mind you, not those that came after) for anyone who is a fan of the genre or whoever enjoyed Tolkien's 'Lord of the Rings'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magician's Gambit, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Magician's Gambit: Book Three Of The Belgariad (Kindle Edition)
With the Orb now in Cthol Murgos, the group go to the Vale of Aldur so that Garion can learn more about sorcery from Belgarath and Pol and to talk to Aldur. However, the group has to still retrieve the Orb which will mean travelling into enemy territory. With people both leaving and joining the travellers, they may not all survive and if they do they will not be the same. With the prophecies starting to come true will they be able to regain the Orb?

Magician's Gambit is the third book in the Belgariad series and I enjoyed it more than the last two books. This book has more action, was faster paced and I found it easier to get into the plot as we are getting nearer to the end of the quest.

While I like and sympathise with Garion, it is not that hard to figure out the big secret that Belgarath and Polgara are keeping from him and he should have guessed it ages ago. I liked Ce'Nedra more in this book, mostly because we got to see how she thinks.

Magician's Gambit is really good and I would recommend it to people who enjoy classic swords and sorcery fantasy books.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Belegariad Continues, 22 Mar. 2009
S. Daruvala "Ronin" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
The mission for the Orb continues with the motely crew entering the enemy stronghold.

I truely enjoy this epic story (outlined well by other commentaries), yet also have to agree with other reviewers in terms of the language used. Compared to Fiest and especially Wurts is seems almost simplistic. However the prose flows spectacularly, never impeeding the unfolding tale.

Sparks of geneious for me are the characters and inter-play. Mandorallen is just a complete nutter, Silk and Barak play off each other and Polgara and Belgarath are portrayed in a very humanistic way (not all powerful sorcerers as in other novels).

As with the other parts of the Belgariad this book is intersperesed with many a humourous moment with me laughing out loud more than once.

Hope this review is helpful.

Also if you are looking for a recommendation Janny Wurts "Wars of Light and Shadow" tale is a truely Gripping masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Belgariad: Surely one of the best series of fantasy books ever written!, 22 April 2014
David Eddings’ Belgariad is simply brilliant (of which this is one book of five; first one is 'Pawn of Prophecy'). The characters are well drawn and engaging; you instantly want to know them better. The world they inhabit is a fantastic place, brilliantly conceived and beautifully transcribed into text, for you to imagine; with each book revealing a whole new arena.

The story concept is truly an epic; it has everything from impossible odds, gods, cryptic prophesies and characters of legendary proportions. I’ve followed Garion and his friends and family for a long time; revisiting them occasionally is like going on holiday to a familiar hide-away. Once you’ve finished the Belgariad (I’m sure you will), pick up the ‘Guardians of the West’ first title in the long awaited (at the time it was written) sequel, the Mallorian.

Happy reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars The FSFH Book Review says:, 8 Jan. 2006
Ian Tapley "thefragrantwookiee" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The third book of The Belgariad.
In this book, the somewhat nebulous quest of the first two becomes far more focused. Also the author begins to introduce wider issues than simply what dangers face the characters on the road.
I enjoyed reading Garion's reactions to the three gods he encounters here and we begin to get a deeper sense of the practicalities of sorcery. I like that Eddings examines sorcery from a cause-and-effect point of view as it means his characters have to give surprisingly deep thought to their actions, unlike some other fantasy stories where magic is all lighning bolts from the fingers with no explanation.
This book resolves the quest for the Orb of Aldur too, meaning it is a much more rounded story than any of the previous ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for fantasy lovers!, 4 May 2012
My Dad went on at me for ages about reading this series and I kept putting it off as I had loads of books "in the queue".
When I finally got around to reading them I couldn't put them down. I have read 8 of the series in 3 weeks (it normally takes me 1-2 weeks per book) and can't wait to read the next one.
As everyone else has put, Eddings writing has a great flow and the characters really grow on you as they are so realistic and not "holier than thou" like a lot of fantasy books.
I don't think it has that same epic sense that I got from Lord of the Rings but at the same time, I didn't have to grind through page after page of Frodo and Sam like I did in those books!
Overall, an excellent series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic work, 18 Feb. 2013
The third book in the series, I have swallowed these up in quick succession. the writing is great, really allows you to immerse yourself in this world without dragging you under with long descriptive paragraphs.

I think it is with particular skill that Eddings was able to discuss religions, Gods (as well s meeting a couple) without stating this is right and that is wrong. I feel it would be hard for this to cause offence or tension.

I cant wait to read the next book and watch all of our characters evolve and emerge

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent book yet occasionally a bit vague, 11 Aug. 2014
Ok theirs overarching plot here is excellent Eddings lets you know just a bit more than Garion and C'Nedra; just enough to frustrate and excite you, keeping you on your toes. The writing was splendid yet I did feel that the crossing of Cthol Murgos the descriptions of Ulgoland were a bit vague requiring you to re-read them occasionally so you knew exactly what the environment was like. Despite this it is a great high fantasy book and I am itching to read book four as I write this so slán.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It, 3 Mar. 2014
I have read the complete Belgariad series more times than I can remember so when I purchased a Kindle I just had to download the series to read on holiday. I love the way the characters are developed and grow up during the five books and the story telling although somewhat predictable is really good. I would definitely recommend the Belgariad series and the follow up series the Malloreon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat your heart out Tolkein, 22 April 2008
This book forms part of a terrific series beginning with `Belgareth the Sorcerer'. I don't read much of this genre (fantasy) but like The Hobbit/ Lord of the Rings this will appeal to a large audience.

Following Belgareth the Sorcerer there are two series of 5 books, `The Belgariad' and `The Mallorean' and it is advisable to read them in order, and if you can read `Belgareth' first (although you could save it and read it afterwards like a prequel).

I raced through the series. The Eddings' (the books were written by a couple) create a Tolkein-esque world with our hero Belgareth learning powers known as `the will and the word' through centuries of study under a benevolent God (the gods that created this world still live on it in physical form). This study elevates him to the status of a sorcerer and elongates his life span - he becomes a legend and a force for good in the world. However, another disciple of his benevolent master rebels and steals the holy `Orb' stone, following a more sinister God. In the later series the Gods have left the planet in fear that their battle will destroy the world but their peoples continue to war - following the Prophecies left to them by the Gods. The two series follow the course of events as Belgareth leads the hunt for the traitor and the stone. It's very cleverly written and characters and events reappear as we become familiar with the history of this fictional world through the course of the books.

Really good fun and a definite recommendation if you want a light hearted escape that will keep you reading late into the night.

This is the order of the books:

The Belgariad

2. King of the Murgos
3. Demon Lord of Karanda
4. Sorceress of Darshiva
5. The Seeress of Kell

If this review has helped you then please use the button below to vote!