5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album!!!!
I've had this album for a few months now and love it!!! Have been listening to it non-stop and it never gets boring.

It's one of those albums where you don't have to wind any songs on because they're all amazing. I recommend Ellie's album to everyone I know.

Stunning debut album, can't wait for the next one!!!
Published on 20 Aug 2010 by ShadowFox

3.0 out of 5 stars The next album might be even better
Like several other reviewers, I'm a little disappointed that this first album is so smooth, slick and tending towards bland. It's a bit like the dance remix of an album that was never released, that's the album I'd really like to hear.

Published on 8 May 2010 by Peter

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album!!!!, 20 Aug 2010
ShadowFox (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lights (Audio CD)

Stunning debut album, can't wait for the next one!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Album, 12 Dec 2012
This review is from: Lights (Audio CD)
I first want to say this album was by far the best album of 2010 and it deserved so much more recognition than it got. Although I loved Rihanna's Loud album that was released the same year it got so much recognition, high chart positions and strong ticket sales because of the club songs and her sexual outfits, performances and music videos. Lights didn't get that much, maybe because radio stations would rather play What's My Name instead of Starry Eyed.
I really love Lights, it is so different to any other album that was released that year and the songs are so calming and relaxing. I really recommend this album to everyone, there isn't one song I hate, there are no fillers and once you have listened to it you will love Ellie Goulding and you will be buying all her other albums.
***Top 5 Tracks***
This Love (Will Be Your Downfall)
Under The Sheets
The Writer
Wish I Stayed
Salt Skin

3.0 out of 5 stars The next album might be even better, 8 May 2010
Peter (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lights (MP3 Download)

Lights is not a bad album by any means. The ballad tracks towards the end - particularly Wish I Stayed and I'll Hold my Breath - are the best. Ellie Goulding has talent, and she has the potential to carve out a niche that is all her own. The album's producers clearly know how to make music that sells well. I hope that the next album will feature a bit more of what makes Ellie Goulding special.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bichon frise of a record (short and fluffy), 3 Mar 2010
This review is from: Lights (Audio CD)
After the Sound of 2010 win and the absurd pre-emptive Brit award, Ellie Goulding has seemed rather embarrassed by all the fuss - you get the sense of a beleaguered music industry willing an instant star out of someone who'd rather have built a career more organically. So it's not entirely her fault that this debut album doesn't live up to the hype. But with writing credits on all of the songs, she has to shoulder some of it.

Lights is a perfectly listenable soufflé of a record, and at just 35 minutes it hardly outstays its welcome, but there's none of the brio and personality that you get on Marina's *The Family Jewels* - an album superior in every department. And you might forgive a woman in her early twenties for having nothing very interesting to say, were it not for the even younger Laura Marling making people twice her age sound immature. Her faux-naif diction winds me up, too! This just isn't the knockout it needed to be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly overproduced, 5 Mar 2010
This review is from: Lights (Audio CD)
Having seen Ellie twice support Little Boots on tour it annoys me that Frankmusik and Fin Dow-Smith (Starsmith) seem to have somewhat s**t on their friend Ms Goulding by overproducing the songs on this album to make themselves look good.

The demo versions of *Wish I'd Stayed* and *Guns and Horses* were better than these album versions - though G&H has suffered less at the hands of Starsmith than WIS at the hands of Frankmusik! Having said that *The Writer* and *I'll Hold My Breath* are much improved and the new track (I say new having followed Ellie's work for a good 6 months already) *Your Biggest Mistake* is great.

Overall I still rate the album highly - but will look forward to the live performances of more stripped down efforts in April. BTW I can't seen the reasoning of championing Marina's work much more than Lights. I have both albums and am struggling to get into *The Family Jewels*.

5.0 out of 5 stars She'll be massive in 2010! Deservedly., 3 Dec 2009
This review is from: Lights (Audio CD)
Ellie Goulding is often described as 'Folktronica' because of the way her folk-esque songs are mixed with electronic sounds and beats courtesy of her producer Starsmith - and it's probably the best way to describe her. It's a winning combination and all of her songs are ultra catchy with lots of hooks throughout. With their sing-a-long choruses and beautiful melodies, every song stands out. Her voice is unique, but in the best possible way.

Particular highlights include Guns & Horses and Wish I Stayed. The first likely to be a single from this album.

Ellie has worked with Starsmith, Frankmusik and even Mark Ronson - a sign if ever there was one that she's one to watch. This album is likely to be a big seller in 2010.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lights Album By Ellie Goulding - 3 Stars!, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: Lights (Audio CD)
I like the content of the album but the actual CD case wasn't shrink wrapped how they usually are which made it look used. This means that I can't give it as a Christmas present which was the original plan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: Lights (Audio CD)
Very happy what more can I say not a cratch on it would buy again more other CDs again very happy

2.0 out of 5 stars Ellie Goulding - What went wrong?, 12 April 2010
Red on Black - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lights (Audio CD)
On my I Pod I have a copy of Ellie Goulding doing an acoustic cover on video of Midlake's "Roscoe" it is genuinely wonderful and touched by a raw innocence. A further decent cover of Bon Iver's "Wolves" suggested that something interesting was stirring over the Herefordshire border with real potential until of course the release of this debut album.

Its hard not to start a review of "Lights" without the temptation to compile a complete list of the things that are wrong with it starting with the tacky gold album cover to the poor songs based in some cases on a template of the worse of Euro pop. "I'll hold my breath" is the primary culprit in this regard and if this is indeed her vision in terms of melding folk and pop then someone needs to go back to the design stage and perhaps buy a copy of Beth Ortons "Pass in time" on the way, or at least download the "Sweetest Decline". It begs the question in turn of who the real culprit is behind this album, since you sense interference or svengali style "guidance" of Simon Cowell proportions. One wonders whether Ms Goulding was in the driving seat or whether Polydor hearing the loud tinkling of cash registers, got caught up in the BBC hype and headed this star vehicle straight for the middle of the road. This unfortunately is where "Lights" core values are to be found and with the notable exception of the "Writer" its all a little too pleasant and underwhelming.

We clearly do not need two Laura Marling's (contrast "Lights" with the stunning "I speak because I can") but neither do we need two Diana Vickers. Ellie Goulding is 23 and clearly selling shed loads of albums, so job done then? Not quite since you suspect that endearing cuteness and lightweight songs may not be the basis for a sustained career. She is clearly a talent who has huge potential and this may be a misstep. Yet the market Goulding is pitching at is ruthlessly competitive and crowded with many talented female singers seemingly disappearing overnight. Speaking about the commercial reaction to his massive selling solo album "Harvest", Neil Young once stated that "This put me in the middle of the road. Travelling there soon became a bore so I headed for the ditch, a rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there". While we should not wish a Young style extended period of "ditch" darkness and the consequent casualties that went with it on Ellie Goulding she may need to show on her second album more depth and grit then evidenced here for "Light" is what this album is.

3.0 out of 5 stars The demos were better, 1 Mar 2010
Holly Ford - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lights (MP3 Download)
Ellie, Ellie, Ellie. Whatever happened to your original, beautiful, acoustic sounding songs? Why feel the need to replace them with poor electro versions, which not only disguise your genuinly wonderful voice, but also pretty much destroy the mood of the song? People loved you for your original, quirky style, not this.
Wish I'd Stayed is an example in point. What happened to the original version, which I couldn't stop playing for weeks? Why has it been turned into a poor floor filler?
There are some good songs on this album, yes, but I guess I was expecting something entirely different from Lights. It's like she's focussed so much on living up to her 'next big thing' hype and getting as high in the charts as possible that she's forgotten about the 'real' fans. Shame, because Ellie genuinely have a lot of talent which isn't being fairly represented with this album.

Lights