5.0 out of 5 stars The Future Belongs To Them
Published on 17 July 2010 by S. C. JONES

1.0 out of 5 stars just rubbish worse than generation or ego war
the audio bullys are amazing live and in the right situation generation is a great party album and theres a few tracks on ego war that are quality yet they still sound like there produced on fruity loop or some other easy to download generic computer programme.
Published on 3 Sep 2010 by D. M. Boulden

5.0 out of 5 stars The Future Belongs To Them, 17 July 2010
S. C. JONES "Jonesy" (Leicestershire, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Higher Than The Eiffel (Audio CD)
The first Audio Bullys LP ('Ego War') is a classic, swaggering hooligan house brilliance, an album I played to death back in 2003 and 2004. As for the second LP ('Generation'), well, I never even bothered with it. I hated the Nancy Sinatra sampling single, a desperate bid for chart success as far as I was concerned, and the tracks off the LP I heard on the internet were awful. I thought Audio Bullys were finished. The five-year gap between 'Generation' and their third LP ('Higher Than The Eiffel') seemed to confirm this fact, a group struggling for inspiration, struggling to recapture the genius of their first effort.

Then I heard 'Only Man' (the first single off the new LP) on the radio. I was pleasantly surprised. Was the old magic back? The old swagger was for sure. I wondered if it was a one-off, though, and bought this album more in hope than expectation. I can now state 'Only Man' isn't a one-off, this is a massive return to form. In fact it's better than 'Ego War'. There's more variety here. There's the stomping dance stuff, of course, but there are new wave influences ('Twist Me Up'), the deeply unpleasant and paranoid (this is a compliment) 'Smiling Faces', which switches from sweet pop to thumping beats in an instant, and string-laden epics like 'Drums (On With The Story)'. The only duffer is a slightly reggae-influenced track called 'Dragging Me Down'. The rest is big city tales, alcohol- and narcotic-fuelled hedonism and (occasionally) nostalgia. It's mostly dark but almost all brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Variety with chunky, catchy tunes, 18 Sep 2010
This review is from: Higher Than The Eiffel (Audio CD)
Big beat is back! Well you'd be forgiven for thinking this on hearing the first 2 tracks. Once the intro to 'Drums.... ' has developed into it's big beat outro it synchs straight into 'Only man' - which I'm sure you'll have already heard on the radio or in clubs. What a great start!

I can understand why some people have given this album mixed reviews because this is where the big beat stops and the album changes tack rapidly. The next 4-5 tracks rely much more on their lyrical development and a slower catchy beat. Of particular note amongst these tracks are 'Feel Alright' and 'Dynamite' but to be honest the more I listen (and I'm playing this a lot) the more I like the whole of this portion of the album.

The latter of these 2 tracks starts with a light beat and shifts nicely into a funky vocal section. On many of these tracks the lyrics get stuck in your head and make you want to move with their beat - lyrics and music fits so well together.

The 2nd half of the album kicks off with 'London Dreamer', another good track. Different to what we've heard so far as it contains a psychedelic element to it's beat.

Much has been made of the collaborations and you can definitely hear the ska elements in many of the tracks, including 'London Dreamer' and the closer 'Goodbye' but I like this variety, it shows development and creativity beyond the norm.

Finally, the hidden track is definitely not to be missed. A reworked version of 'Only Man' far more rocky and intense than it's original. It really is a gem tucked away at the end of rhe album.

Not sure why a previous reviewer hasn't enjoyed this album, his review didn't seem to make much sense when you actually listen to this album. Personally, I think this is a tremendous advocate for the album art form which seems to be getting lost in the download era. Don't get me wrong I like picking and choosing tracks but I do still also like to listen to an album like this which has enough variety to keep the listener going for the full 60-70 mins.

Definitely worth a fiver from Amazon! Especially seeing as there's so much more on this album that I've not mentioned. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant come back, 26 Jan 2011
ian roberts (exeter uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Higher Than The Eiffel (Audio CD)
love audio bullys and this album shows their talent as all the songs are great - reminds me of the 80s in a very good way - some of the previous reviewers have already summed it up pretty well so i don't need to say anymore apart from download it now

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sound's The Thing !, 1 April 2010
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Audio Bullys' new album is a party record. In fact, I can imagine
more than one context in which it might be hugely enjoyed.
It makes a big, BIG, beautiful noise!

The sound's the thing. The consistently vivid clarity and power
of the production is simply masterful. There is energy pouring
out of every orifice and believe me that is a VERY good thing!

This is Tom Dinsdale and Simon Franks' third outing.
2003's 'Ego War' was a cracking debut; 2005's 'Generation'
sparkled here and there but was a tad lacklustre in comparison.
'Higher Than The Eiffel' is their magnum opus!

Of the fourteen eggs in the box there really isn't a bad one.

The dream-time confusion of opening track 'Drums (On With The Story)'
give way to a wonderfully squelchy invention, chock-full of simple but highly
entertaining melodic synth fragments. Consummately crafted mayhem.

'Only Man' picks up the beat and drives it home with a hammer. The
cocky-boi vocal sits well with the hands-in-the-air, full-on funky rumpus.

'Feel Alright' possesses an infectious arrogance which completely overrides
the dangerously near-to-cliche riff. It's a close run thing but they keep it
fresh by the skin of their teeth.

Uncle Suggs gets an honorary look-in on 'Twist Me Up', a great little knees-up
of a pop song which wears its heart on its sleeve. (Loving that twitchy synth!)

'Dragging Me Down' has a crafty groove as tight as anything Sly and Robbie gave
to Grace Jones on her 1982 album 'Living My Life'. It's a loose-limbed cracker!

'Smiling Faces' starts out all summer-of-love but when that whacking great
bruiser of a beat kicks in it'll probably take a few of your teeth out with it too!
(There's more than a small nod in B. Jaxx's direction here but it's easy to forgive!)

'17' is a simply lovely song which manages to convey a quality absent from
much of this redoubtable ensemble's material : CHARM! It's kinda sweet actually!

Last track 'Goodbye' twists a massive ska beat into a magnificent good-time finale.
It's all good but Messrs Dinsdale and Franks really do save the best until last!

Big Fun !!!

Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Drawer, 15 April 2010
Mr. A. I. N. Jefferson "ally j" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Higher Than The Eiffel (Audio CD)
I had long awaited their studio return and was kind of hyped up last year when the Bullys dropped the Give me that Punk Single - a supposed album was touted then pulled - and it's always been a case of how do you market these guys?

I loved the previous 2 albums and one of the things that stood out for me was you just couldn't pin the Audio Bullys down. They want to experiment and have never been afraid to show off their ecelectic melting pot influences. Fans of House, Two Tone, Hip Hop - whatever - it's all in the mix. To be honest it took me a couple of listens to get into this album but I am glad I took the time. "Daisy Chains" is a mellow one for the summer, "London Dreamer" encapsulates the big smoke well - those are my fave tracks but have a listen and you be the judge!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Album!, 7 April 2010
Craig Taylor (Scuthorpe, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Higher Than The Eiffel (Audio CD)
Higher Than The effel is the third studio album from The Audio Bully's and it is perhaps their strongest. It consists of 14 tracks. The album is packed full of so many different styles so there is something for everyone, of course there's the classic house tracks, but then there's indie stuff, followed by electronic ska. It's brilliant. The classic Audio Bully's stamp can be found on each track, such a clever album that is well worth a listen! It even has contributions from Suggs and Mike from Madness, what more can you want??

1.0 out of 5 stars just rubbish worse than generation or ego war, 3 Sep 2010
D. M. Boulden "debo" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Higher Than The Eiffel (Audio CD)
this album is terrible some of the beats are ok, theyve tried to define genres and throw in a alot of there influences which for me dosent really work dance rock ska its just weird.
the track goodbye is a classic in the making real old skool ska beat and some lyrics that actually make sence my advice would be just download that track

Higher Than The Eiffel
Higher Than The Eiffel by Audio Bullys (Audio CD - 2010)