5.0 out of 5 stars Better on Blu-ray

Published 8 months ago by Mr. R. A. Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars Better on Blu-ray, 10 July 2010
G. L. Craig - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Kid [Blu-ray] [1921] (Blu-ray)
I was curious to see if a film of this age would look much better on Blu-ray, and I have to say it does. Of course it can't match the quality of later films, but you can see the resolution is still higher than you can get on a DVD. The Blu-ray sticks to the original film format, which I prefer. There's no stretching of the picture or cropping to make it fit a TV screen. Like most of these classic films, it has been well restored. The only flaws you can see are an occasional minor vertical scratch. It gives you a good idea of what this film must have looked like to the original audience. I'm finding films more enjoyable on Blu-ray. There's more detail, more to look at, bringing out things you never noticed before. They seem to have sorted out the problem of the missing DVDs with this series. The Extras are the same as those released on DVD before.

5.0 out of 5 stars LONG AWAITED CLASSIC!!!!, 17 May 2010
BA (South East) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Kid [Blu-ray] [1921] (Blu-ray)
I've been waiting for this to be re-issued onto DVD for a while now.
To get this on Blu-Ray aswell, in the same package is a real bonus.
The DVD has all the extras on, that fans will love & the Blu-Ray quality is excellent.
I've read the review below & this was apparently a simple manufacturing error, where the DVD
was originally left out (This is a double disc set, containing the Blu-Ray & the DVD in one box)
Amazon were fine with me, taking back my copy & sending out the corrected version straight away.
An excellent, highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 9 Jun 2010
P. Isaacs "thirdipete" (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Kid [Blu-ray] [1921] (Blu-ray)
I'd never seen this film before and I wondered how I was going to enjoy a 'silent' movie - I needn't have worried. A great story, and the comedy sequences made me laugh out loud - it takes a lot to do that: Chaplin's comic timing was immaculate. Beautiful picture quality considering the age of the film. The music sounded good, too, and fitted the action perfectly (I believe, set by Mr Chaplin himself in the 1970s).
My first copy didn't have the DVD either, but before I'd opened the box I received an email from Amazon saying they'd send me a replacement, which they quickly did. I would imagine that problem has gone away now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfaction with "The Kid", 27 Dec 2010
Mr. Y. Marcus - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Kid [DVD] [1921] (DVD)
"The Kid" was missing from my collection of Charlie Chaplin movies,so I purchased it and found it enchanting, as exppected. No kidding, "The Kid" is just what I wanted. I am satisfied with my purchase and the prompt response of Amazon.UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars good quality presentation, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Kid [DVD] [1921] (DVD)
I wondered how good the film quality would be - but it was an excellent reproduction of a classic film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chaplin great, still, after his jump to full-length features, 16 May 2014
This review is from: The Kid [Blu-ray] [1921] (Blu-ray)
1921 Chaplin genius. The brilliance is there in the details and, at the same time, the way the details are seamless within the narrative. Those seeing the film as only charming simply don't perceive how great it is. Without an eye for Chaplin, yes, all it is is Chaplin when, however, there is so much more. Of course, Chaplin was already great back in 1917 with things like The Immigrant, and this is all of four years advances (in film) later. It's no wonder he was revered by other film makers.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Kid dvd, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Kid [DVD] [1921] (DVD)
This was bought as a gift for an elderly friend & she enjoyed it very much. It's an old silent movie, in black & white, but worth watching.

2.0 out of 5 stars The kid DVD, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Kid [DVD] [1921] (DVD)
Some scenes were omitted. This was bought for my parents who were not at all happy with it. They have requested tat I purchase another The Kid DVD

3.0 out of 5 stars Charming (rather than riotous) Chaplin comedy, 4 Jan 2014
Version I saw: UK bluray release
Actors: 7/10
Plot/script: 7/10
Photography/visual style: 6/10
Music/score: 7/10
Overall: 7/10
It could be said that this was Charlie Chaplin's breakthrough film: it was one of the longest films he had made up to this point, having previously focused on short films of around 15-25 minutes' duration. I think it could actually be considered two short films, as it has a lengthy dream sequence midway through it in which Chaplin dreams himself as an angel in paradise.
While Chaplin has a deceptive way of seeming effortlessly funny, I feel that this film is more one to smile all the way through than a riotous comedy: there are not as many outright laughs as in some of his other films.
However, while it is not as political as other Chaplin films, The Kid does pull a similar trick of sneaking in social issues, and even manages to make them more deeply affecting than in the others I have seen. The scene in which the child is taken away is particularly touching, with the panicked, desperate expressions visible on both of their faces.
For my full review, read my Blogspot independent film blog, Cinema Inferno: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful classic, 4 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Kid [DVD] [1921] (DVD)
Together with the Gold Rush and Modern Times this is definitely the best film of Charlie Chaplin entire output. A must for those who love humour and silent films.

The Kid [Blu-ray] [1921]
The Kid [Blu-ray] [1921] by Charlie Chaplin (Blu-ray - 2010)
Used & New from: £39.99