5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound.
Published on 2 July 2010 by J. M. Symes

2.0 out of 5 stars 'Tinny' overall sound
Published on 22 Sep 2011 by Escritor

2.0 out of 5 stars 'Tinny' overall sound, 22 Sep 2011
This review is from: Philips SHS8100/10 Earhook Headphones (Electronics)
The blurb suggested that these earphones have exceptional performance in the bass frequencies. That may be, but the overall sound is much more 'tinny' than I had expected. I have other in-ear types that have better sound quality. However, they stay in the ear, which is why I bought them. When you're on the last mile of a run, you're not really thinking about the finer points of musical quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound., 2 July 2010
J. M. Symes "jms66" (West Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips SHS8100/10 Earhook Headphones (Electronics)
Bought these to replace an old Sony set to use at the gym. They seem good quality. I tried them out and made sure that the ear buds fitted my ears properly using one of the 3 different sized soft buds supplied and the sound was fine. I like heavy rock music so the base has to be good and these were great. Used them at the gym this morning and they stayed in my ears with no problems plus they blocked out any outside noise so I was well and truly in 'the zone' lol. They are a little more expensive than some but hey I want them to last.

3.0 out of 5 stars The cost of good music!, 6 May 2011
This review is from: Philips SHS8100/10 Earhook Headphones (Electronics)
I bought these headphones from currys, well I say THESE headphones, what I really mean is, I bought my first pair from currys, then my second pair, then my third pair then this final pair, I promised myself NO MORE!

I wanted these because I needed earphones to remain in my ear whilst running for long periods of time, so the hooked design seemed more than appropriate at first glance. Admittedly, I looked at the selection of high street earphones, and thought "Phillips, seems a sturdy and reliable make". So I proceeded with the buy and used them for running.

Style. These are a stylish and well-designed set of earphones, they don't seem to get dated over time and they are incredibly comfortable to wear. But is bemuses me why there is so much cable! How long a neck
does Phillips think customers really have?

Sound Quality. The sound quality is unrivalled by other high street earphones. These really are on par with the specialist products and should rightfully be labelled so. I have listened to various genres of music with these headphones and they are more than capable of managing the bass of modern tunes and the clarity and crispness of Beethoven's 7th Symphony (obviously accompanied with a glass of Merlot).

As mentioned previously, I have bought several pairs of these, and I will enlighten yourselves why, below.
Connection. After using these every day, the wire connections to either the headphones or the plug in adaptor started to loosen and eventually fail. This is extremely annoying as first there is crackling in your ear piece, then there is the failure of one of the ear pieces, then complete disaster!

Rubber Plugs. The earphones require/come with, rubber fittings on the ear pieces. They are inter changeable to suit different size ear canals. This is obviously quite a good thing, however, they ping off often and due to their small nature and bouncing capability, they can never be found again. Eventually, you have to buy new plugs or earphones to continue. Just about to go for a run, all mentally prepared for a long distance effort, lovely day, all going well and then BAM! You have your last rubber piece missing so you can't listen to music. WHAT A LET DOWN.

Durability. Not very reliable build quality at all, I went running and with no clip supplied, the excessively long cable constantly gets snagged. In one instance I had to apologise continuously as I ran past a dog walker and got yanked back, to find out I strangled her dog. Yes, it did not only cause mischief but it also ruined set number 2.

Price. For what they are, they are expensive. I mean normal person expensive, £30-£40 a pair. The reliability means, that if you want a set to be used continuously for about 12 months, then you may as well buy 3 pairs.

Fundamental flaws outweigh the quality of sound produced, not worth the expense.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you move at a decent pace don't buy these, 20 Feb 2011
This review is from: Philips SHS8100/10 Earhook Headphones (Electronics)
I bought the SHS8100's as my Senheisser's kept falling out of my ears when running. These Phillip's earphones are not the solution. They fall out even more often despite the hooks. If you're going for a jog at a sedate pace on a treadmill they'll be fine but anything faster and they come loose (I've tried all three rubber plug sizes and no joy with any).

As for the sound quality, the sound is weak. Zero bass and too much treble. If I sit still and shove them into my ears ridiculously deep they sound alright but let's be fair; they aren't going to stay embedded half way into my skull as soon as you start running a five minute mile.

For now, I've gone back to my Senheisser's and I wear a hat to stop them falling out when running FTW

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further!, 24 Jan 2012
C. Vernon "Vernon48" (ENgland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips SHS8100/10 Earhook Headphones (Electronics)
I have been using these headphones for years now! As correctly mentioned in previous reviews, the sound quality is way up there with the premium brands. I have a pair of Dr Dre in ear headphones, and the Phillips provide much better sound quality.

Disregard the reviews complaining about poor longevity. I work in a factory and use them every day, they get tugged, bashed and dropped all the time and they easily last a year. Which isn't bad for a £20 set of phones! I also use them in the gym so they are exposed to sweat, and there are no problems to report here either!

Look no further, these are brilliant headphones and a product I will be buying again and again.

Tip for previous reviewers: To prevent the excess cable catching on things when on the move, run the headphones up the inside of your shirt! And to prevent damage to the connection plug, leave a loop of wire free down there when wrapping the cable around your iThings!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones, but switch failed after a month., 25 Feb 2012
This review is from: Philips SHS8100/10 Earhook Headphones (Electronics)
I bought these as my ipod headphones broke and the replacement pair I bought were rubbish for working out at the gym, they just wouldn't stay in my ears. Well I decided to get these and they're the best I've ever had. Comfortable on the ears, the bendy rubbery hooks fit neatly on my ears. Swapped the rubber tips for the smallest ones as my canals are quite small and they fit perfectly.

There is a little volume/track switch on the cord which is helpful, however this broke after about a month of use which was annoying.

Finally I should mention that with both the other two sets of headphones I had to have the volume on max pretty much all the time. With these Phillips headphones, 1/2 - 3/4 is more than enough and the sound is great. I'm happy with this buy (and annoyingly they now appear even cheaper than what I paid for them!).

2.0 out of 5 stars Comfort,good sound but don't last, 31 Mar 2013
This review is from: Philips SHS8100/10 Earhook Headphones (Electronics)
Although the sound quality is good,especially for the money,the problem is the jack plug. These lasted 2 months before I lost sound in 1 earpiece. Comfortable fit,good sound,just about worth the money if you can get 6 months use

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent earphones, 6 July 2012
This review is from: Philips SHS8100/10 Earhook Headphones (Electronics)
I've started running cross-country more and like to listen to an iPod Nano as I run. The earphones that came with the iPod were standard iPhone ear-bud type headphones which fell out as soon as I began running. When you're running, you don't want the headache of having to mess about re-adjusting your earphones and worrying about them falling out every second, it just ruins your focus.

I therefore decided to buy these earphones. They are perfectly designed and are genuinely fit for purpose. The hooks are adjustable/bendy and fit my ears perfectly. They are so comfortable and light that I can't tell I'm wearing them once I put them on. The earphones come fitted with medium sized rubber buds already attached and the pack contains two additional spare pairs of buds (large and small) so that you are able to customise them to various ear sizes if required.

The cord is nice and long too so I can zip my iPod in the pocket of my shorts while wearing the headphones without worrying that when I run and the iPod bounces it will pull on the headphones (I'm really tall and this was a problem with my old headphones). Even if it did pull (which it doesn't) the headphones fit so securely they still wouldn't dis-lodge. I have tested this by pulling the wires and they just stay in place perfectly without need for re-adjusting. Because the wires go through the bottom of the hooks, rather than into the buds, any movement or tugging just gets absorbed by the hooks. You don't get a milimeter of movement in the ear buds, which is brilliant design. The sound quality is great too, though was not my primary reason for buying them.

I would not hesitate to recommend these headphones to runners or anyone involved in doing training which requires a lot of movement. The headphones simply will not dislodge or move through movement of your head/body. They have taken away all of the stress from my running sessions that I had with the original set of apple earphones. If you are a runner you will understand the need to be focused and not worry about things like headphones falling out and tripping you up. Definitely worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as the older model, 1 Oct 2010
This review is from: Philips SHS8100/10 Earhook Headphones (Electronics)
The sound quality is good with these and they have so far stood up to running for an hour and stay in place most of the time. I originally had a pair of the older version of these which are strangely more expensive than these ones but on balance I think the older version is better in terms of fit and actually staying in place. Maybe I'm using the wrong bud size (I've tried the small and medium ones and will try the large set) but these do tend to work themselves loose to the point where they feel loose but don't actually drop out and the sound still comes through loud and clear. It's just an odd feeling to get used to. If not used for running they do block noise out extremely well with very little noise escape so they're ideal for the train, bus or underground.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 2 July 2013
This review is from: Philips SHS8100/10 Earhook Headphones (Electronics)
Well after replacing my old gym headphone with these all i can say is they are rubbish, they are fine until you start actually working out at which point you simply cannot get them to stay in place and spend more time pushing them back into your ears than working out...honestly the worst pair of so called sports headphones i've ever owned.
I would advise you if your reading this not to purchase these headphones if you plan on using them at the gym.

Philips SHS8100/10 Earhook Headphones