5.0 out of 5 stars Just extraordinary!
If there is any doubt in your mind about whether or not to buy this, let me put that doubt out of your mind now!

Published on 21 Jan 2012 by Music Reviewer

3.0 out of 5 stars Bright torch
A great bright torch on its top setting but battery life not very good at that setting, poss 2 hours or so which is a bit disapointing
Published 14 months ago by Roast

5.0 out of 5 stars Just extraordinary!, 21 Jan 2012
This review is from: Silva Trail Runner - (Sports)

It is an absolutely extraordinary product. From the power point of view, it is like having a set of car headlights on your head, from the comfort point of view you would not even know it is there! It throws out an 'intellilight' pattern - in English this means a wide field with a more focused, brighter central part. It has silicone on the inside of the headband so it DOES NOT MOVE OR SLIP AT ALL when running. It has a battery indicator when you switch it off (an LED glows green, amber or red) and it has three brightness settings together with an SOS morse function.

Seriously, get this light, you will not regret spending the money on it for one moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent head torch, 8 Nov 2011
This review is from: Silva Trail Runner - (Sports)
I've been running in the dark for years and, until I got this Silva Trail Runner head torch, had always had to spend too much time fiddling about with my head torch whilst running - either because the strap had worked loose or the lamp had slipped and was lighting up the sky rather than the muddy, slippery trail ahead of me. With the Silva head torch, I can just keep on running - the head torch stays perfectly in place on my head and casts a clear and bright light on the trail ahead of me. I'm just sorry it's taken me so long to discover this excellent product.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great product but a little over priced, 11 Jan 2013
Mr. C. Buck "Hope this helps" (Mansfield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silva Trail Runner - (Sports)
I do use this head torch often. Mainly when running on streets with no road lamps (there are plenty of these when I run home from work) and I have to say it works well.
On max power It clearly lights up the pathway to about 10 feet in front and i'd say 6 feet across so It picks out the edge of the road and the grass edges well.
This said I did use It once on a forest trail run and it did not perform as good. With no moon light because of the trees and dark shadows everywhere the light was just not good enough for me to run at my normal speed.
Back on the streets I like the different power settings so when I'm in an area with street lights I turn it down to minimum (just a press of a button) so people can still see me coming and savers battery life.
Some of it's other great features include the battery level light. When you turn it off after use a different colour light stays on for about 5 seconds depending on the battery level - Green, Amber & Red.
The Elastic headband is comfortable and yet keeps the light securely in place. The head light has never once moved out of position while running.
A swivel light which once In your favoured position stays put and does not need altering again.
Battery life is great. I have only used 2 AA batteries per season.
The only two things I'm not keen on is the price - 10 cheaper would be more like it and the fact is only shower proof. I'm yet to use it during heavy rain for the fear of it breaking down.

Would I recommend this to a friend? - Yes

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Last Minute Christmas Present, 19 Dec 2011
This review is from: Silva Trail Runner - (Sports)
I never usually write reviews but feel I have to express how over the moon I am with this headtorch. The light it gives out is fantastic and means that in these dark months I not only have no excuse to keep up my running (as it literally lights up the whole path and doesn't wiggle around like previous head toches) but I can also keep my hands in my pockets when walking my dog!! It will make a brilliant Christmas present for any keen outdoor pursuiter!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable, effective in most conditions, good product, 20 Nov 2012
This review is from: Silva Trail Runner - (Sports)
I did a fair bit of research online on Amazon and elsewhere on lights for running at night and decided on this as a headlamp. A month or so on and with the nights (and mornings!) drawing in the conclusion is I've made a good purchase - very comfortable fit, stays completely stable when running, feels very light (just like wearing a hat) good luminosity and easy to adjust direction of beam - it's a pleasure to wear and use. The flashing light is great when you just want to be seen on dark and bendy roads, and the full beam lights up dark paths and trails very well. Battery life is ok too, if not amazing (a few hours on two AAs).
So why not the full 5 stars? It's great overall but I decided to go the full hog for running on really rough terrain (e.g. rough paths in woods in full darkness)and get a waist light as well as the headlamp. Great togther but if you just want the one for rough terrain, then I'd have to plump for the waist light(Go Motion LiteBelt 100 Lumens, not currently on Amazon.co.uk but you can see it on Amazon.com - just watch import taxes), as it's more powerful and at a better angle to light up bumps/hollows/roots etc just before your feet land on them.
However, if you want a running light for fairly well defined paths (even if it's very dark), or just to help you being seen by road users, then this is the preferred option - even easier to use and even more comfortable than the waist light. I use it more often than the waist light, although the waist light would get the nod on difficult surfaces.
One other slight quibble - when you just want to use it to be seen on the road the flashing light is great, but there is no rear red flashing light (there is on the waist light). Easily fixed though: a 10 Knog Frog Strobe LED Rear Light fits perfectly on the rear battery pack and will add virtually no weight.
Overall, it's a much better product than similar headlamps used by my mates. If it's a headlamp you want and this your price range, you won't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product, 4 Feb 2012
This review is from: Silva Trail Runner - (Sports)
Three brightness settings. Excellent range and peripheral vision. Not sure about battery life yet since early days. Overall this is a real quality piece of kit eg inside the headband there is a strip of silicone to stop the band slipping - good careful design. Recommended.

UPDATE MAY 2014
Still going strong. Battery life just as expected which is fine. Recommended more than ever assuming still for sale!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy - poor connection from cable to battery case, 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Silva Trail Runner - (Sports)
I bought this head torch last November but it has stopped working, despite only light use. The failure is between the cable & battery case as I can make the torch work momentarily if I move the cable. This is not acceptable for a fairly expensive head torch & I would not recommend buying this unit.

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY! Poor construction of on/off switch, 29 Nov 2013
L. Phillips - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silva Trail Runner - (Misc.)
++DON'T BUY++
I gave this item a single star because there wasn't the option for zero stars.

I have now bought two of these. Both faulty. The first one I bought, I initially turned it on to try it in the house and it worked fine, I cycled through the different options and all worked ok until it came time to turn it off. I then struggled to turn it off, it is like the button stopped working completely. So sent the item back as faulty, ordered another on next day delivery only to get the same fault but on the second one at least it turned off if I persisted.

On a 40 torch I expect the power button to work. How VERY DISAPPOINTING!

Second one going back, same as the first one - have contacted Amazon and hope to get one that has been tested prior to shipment!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good light, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: Silva Trail Runner - (Sports)
Bit battery hungry, but really does the job - perfectly possible to see your way when it's pitch dark.
#