5.0 out of 5 stars Love it.
Published on 5 Jun. 2010 by Virtual Ron

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm a Real Boy
Published on 11 April 2011 by Sam Tyler

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., 5 Jun. 2010
A real nice proper kids film. Ice age 3, cars, wall-e etc they are all great films but they are really films for adults with their grown up sentiments, innuendo and clever "in" jokes. This is the first animated film I have seen in a while that is aimed squarely at kids. The whole story is told from Astroboy's naive innocent, idealistic point of view which, as he keeps getting knocked, lets the film have an emotional impact that the above mentioned films lack. The Astroboy character is flawlessly realised and I really appreciate that the CG animation does not compromise original visual concept by adding excessive detail or effects. The look is clean and simple like a high end hand drawn cartoon. The surround sound effects and LFE are top notch and there is a very catchy main theme. My kids love it, especially the girl 5 who keeps asking for it. (and also want to have rocket boots like Astroboy ,,,,,who doesn't!!!) I have sat through it twice now without complaint. (well actually first time round I thought that nick cage was a bad choice for voice acting because his voice is so distinctive that it is hard to associate it to anything else but nick cage's face. But second viewing I didn't have a problem with it at all so I think it was just a psychological thing.
anyway great film. I hope there is a sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant remake of an old classic., 20 Jun. 2010
I was sceptical about this film to begin with, but after watching it I was definitely impressed. There were parts which seemed a little quirky and almost out-of-place but as the Astroboy manga was quirky in places this didn't detract from the film. A heartwarming story (if altered a bit for the movie adaption) that will appeal to an audience of all ages.

A deep story told in a light-hearted fashion with comedy throughout. The characters are endearing and the story is well-paced. Very 'rewatchable' and a great buy :D

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm a Real Boy, 11 April 2011
Straight from the off let me tell you that I have no investment in the concept of `Astroboy'. I'm vaguely aware that it is a classic Anime, but my lack of knowledge means that the new CGI version of the film could be as sliced, diced and bastardised as only a Hollywood filmmaker could dream of achieving. With its Day-Glo colour palette and kid friendly look, I thought `Astroboy' was going to be another also-ran from the animated churn factory. However, the feel of the film is anything but kid friendly and instead this movie is average not for being too similar to other films, but for being too different.

`Astroboy' follows the early life of android Astro who was formed in the image of Dr Tenma's dead child. The first part of the film portrays the death of said child and is not easy viewing, although you don't actually see anything. The film has a lot in common with Spielberg's `AI' and is about grief and abandonment. These concepts actually feature more often in animation than you would think, but here they are very dark. There are moments of lightness in the film with some characters included just for comedic value, the Robot fighting for freedom being one. However, the vast majority of the film has a tone that is not in keeping with the brightness of the animation.

Proving a challenging watch is not a criticism in its own right as I believe the best kid's movies have a dark edge (Time Bandits), but here the tone is flat, as well as dark. Nicholas Cage is catatonic at the best of times, but as Dr Tenma he sounds like they have reanimated his corpse for one day of voice recording. The same could be said of Bill Nighy and Freddie Highmore. It is only the likes of Matt Lucas who bring energy to the voice work. The lack of passion in the acting means that the film feels incredibly drab at times, which is a shame as the animation, especially on BluRay, looks fantastic. With its dark tones and interesting ideas `Astroboy' is a curious watch that will be enjoyable for adults looking for something a little odd, but not for the core audience of children.

5.0 out of 5 stars An adventure worth blasting off to!, 18 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Astro Boy [DVD] (DVD)
I have to say I had my doubts about this film, especially because it wasn't done by a company I know well like Pixar or Dreamworks but I have to say it was really good!
I don't really know the story of Astro Boy but after looking at the special features included I realised how faithful they tried to keep to the storyline.
One of my rules is if an animated film makes you laugh or cry then it's good and there are definitely moments that crack you up and moments that make you reach for a tissue.
I don't think it reaches the standards that Dreamworks and Pixar are setting but it's definitely up there close to them. Some people seem to think the actors aren't up to scratch but I disagree. Everyone plays their part well and most of them have done animated films before so they know what to expect. At the end of the day a children's film is meant to keep them entertained. I'm 18 and I was entertained!

Don't hesitate to buy it, every penny is worth it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual story but 7 year old enjoy it...., 12 May 2013
This review is from: Astro Boy [DVD] (DVD)
Not the plot you expect from a childrens film... essentially the boy of a scientist dies (yes, dies) and the scientist remakes him as a AI type clone with memories and 'look' the same. He soon rejects him with the "boy/robot" confused as to why...
Somehow this cross between the Incredibles, Meet The Robinsons and AI manages not to be depressing and kids just enjoy the occasional bouts of humour, Astroboys coolness and the numerous action scenes....
My boy (an emotional and sensitive boy with no capacity for scare!) enjoyed the film and focused on its fun. Hired as a bargain bin DVD from blockbuster then bought for £3 on Amazon on his insistance.
There are better films but this has a good cast, some strong animations, some good one liners "I'm the fridge", and is suitable distraction fare....

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a chance !, 1 Jun. 2010
mummy spoon (South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Astro Boy [DVD] (DVD)
I can't believe this is the first review of astroboy, it seems to have been forgotten about in the tidal wave of other animated and family movies released this year and I'm not sure why as my two boys and I loved it .
As a family we buy alot of Dvds, family ones in particular so I have seen the great ones and the terrible ones and this is definitely up there near the top.
The film starts off by introducing us to a floating chunk of the earth called Metro City just above the earths surface which has now become a scrap yard for broken robots and other junk .
In Metro city, Scientist Dr Tenma creates the robot Astroboy to replace his lost son Toby but the robot boy has a much bigger calling.
I don't want to give the whole story away as I watched it not really knowing what it was about so I'll leave it there but I will say, the animation and story are great and it's been a big hit with my boys who are aged 6 and 7.
There are quite a few extra's on the Dvd too, including four short documentary's and two extra scenes. (not deleted scenes)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, 18 Jun. 2010
Free Spirit "shilo115" (North Wales, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Astro Boy [DVD] (DVD)
As soon as I discovered that astro boy had pistols in his butt I knew that it would appeal to my sons age 11 and 9 and I wasn't wrong.

The story runs along nicely and the animation is good. What more can I say, my boys and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet film, 15 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Astro Boy [DVD] (DVD)
I'm not quite sure why this film wasn't a big success. I thoroughly enjoyed it and was greatly surprised that my daughter did too. While I'm a big Pixar, Disney fan she rarely likes film full stop, loving only 'My Good neighbour Totoro' from the Ghibli Studios. But she liked this. She is eight years old now.
Personaly I like to go into a film knowing as little as posssible, to allow the skill of story telling to reveal itself [if it's there!] so I am purposely saying nothing about Astro Boy other than great entertainment, thoroghly recommend!

2.0 out of 5 stars Onward and upward...., 16 May 2015
Set in futuristic Metro City, Astro Boy is about a young robot with incredible powers created by a brilliant scientist in the image of the son he has lost.

Unable to fulfil the grieving man's expectations, our hero embarks on a journey in search of acceptance, experiencing betrayal and a netherworld of robot gladiators, before he returns to save Metro City and reconcile with the father who had rejected him....

Not a bad film, but with the spate of CGI movies being put on the cinema,this has to be one of the weakest ones released in the last few years.

The voice acting has a different array of stars, but a lot of them most significantly Cage, seem to be talking in their sleep. They seem very dis-interested, and this really effects the narrative of the film.

If you look a little deeper (me having never the seen the original series), there are notable connotations to Pinocchio and oliver twist, but these never really get elaborated on, the makers soon concentrate on the gladiator type set pieces, and the big finale, which looks a little cheap.

Kids will lap it up though, it's colourful and very funny in a kiddie like way, and one feels when watching this, it was destined for 3-D.

there are a few funny pieces for adults, but they are few and far between, and never really hold your attention span.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but could have been great!!!!, 14 Aug. 2011
Mr. L. Gurney "Film Crazy" (Twydall, Kent UK) - See all my reviews
I think I say it for everybody who has seen the anime of Astroboy when I say that, yes the digital version of Astro is good but the old one is best. Saying that I do have an open mind and I enjoyed this movie thoroughly. Plus the added bonus of the DVD with the Bluray. If you are new to Astro then this is a great movie, but if you are like myself then this in my opinion is a good film that is done extremely well.

Astro Boy [DVD]
Astro Boy [DVD] by Kristen Bell (DVD - 2010)