Format: Audio CDChange

on 26 January 2010
I'll begin with the standard "I don't usually buy albums from Reality TV Show contestants but..." BUT..this guy can really, really sing. I really enjoyed watching his performances on American Idol, and was as surprised as everyone else when he didn't win. Then, to be honest, I forgot about him for a while. UNTIL I stumbled across this CD here, and thought "what the heck, it can't be that bad, after all, he has a good voice." I am SO glad I took the chance, because what arrived in the CD case was a wonderful surprise - A stompingly big, glam, glittery disco ball in music form. Some of the writing collaborations on this album include Lady GaGa, Matt Bellamy (of Muse) Ryan Tedder (of One Republic fame), Linda Perry, Justin Hawkins (of The Darkness). Here's my track-by-track:
1. Music Again: You can really hear the Justin Hawkins influence on this one, with little tasters of old Def Leppard on the "You Can Give It To Me" shout. A gorgeous little showcase for Adam's raspy, gravelly, sexy,.....*coughs* moving on...
2. For Your Entertainment: Sweet mother of divine disco, I defy anyone to listen to this and not be at least a teeny bit turned on. It's a downright pulsating, dirty, (but NOT profane, which is one of the best things about this album - he doesn't throw in a few swear words just to try and impress)and overall one of those songs that you just feel your shoulders beginning to move to, and if I denied dancing round the kitchen to this one while performing a few head flips and stomps, well....I'd be lying. Catchiest song I've heard in a loooong time.
3. Whatya Want From Me: Gorgeous, soft rock ballad with really heartfelt lyrics, a gorgeous chorus, and a really nice beat. Adam's voice is really nice on this one, very strong on the chorus.
4. Strut: Sorry, Kara DioGuardi, but this one didn't overly impress me at ALL. It's okay, and it's bearable to listen to, but it's just a bit...blah.
5. Soaked: From the instant the orchestra kicks in at the start, you can hear the Matt Bellamy (Muse) influence, and Adam's voice is very, very similar to Bellamy's in parts - but being a huge Muse fan, that's no bad thing. A beautiful song that shows off the softer side of Adam's voice to perfection.
6. Sure Fire Winners: Really good little number with electronica-type sounds in the background, Adam on fine rock-God-vocal form, a nice all-rounder pop/rock number.
7. A Loaded Smile: A really dreamy, easy listening song with a nice beat and soft, high vocals from Adam. Reminds me of late-night radio way back when.
8. If I Had You: Another brilliant foot-stomping pop/rock number, with Adam on strong vocal form, great drums, fantastic beat, and a seriously catchy chorus. Quite summery actually, can imagine blasting this one out the car window, annoying everyone as per usual...
9. Pick You Up: A little reminiscent of early disco numbers, another great little poppy number with a catchy bridge and chorus- "Imma Pick You Up..." Adam, you're welcome to.
10. Fever: Ah, so we come to the offering from Lady Gaga...fantastic. A brilliant dance number (with a part that kinda reminds me of that song "Cars" for some reason) that sees Adam on fine dirty disco form.
11. Sleepwalker: Nice song, co-written by Ryan Tedder, nice middle-of-the-road ballad with a strong chorus.
12. Aftermath: This is one of those tunes that reminds me of early 90's long-wave radio, it's a gorgeous little up-tempo rock ballad with writing credits from Allisan Porter (who played Curly Sue in the film of the same name, trivia fans) with some seriously high notes in the backing vocals. Gorgeous.
13. Broken Open: Starts off slowly, with booming background sounds and Adam's voice soft and dreamy, then builds to a strong middle and finish. At one point I thought I heard bagpipes, but I have been duly informed by the other half that I am in fact raving, and it was some kind of electronica. That's me told then.
14. Time for Miracles: Featured on the 2012 soundtrack, a really nice country-esque pop ballad that builds into a strong, sweeping chorus.
Well, that's my review. I'm a mum-of-one in my mid-20s, my Mum is in her 50's, my other half usually never listens to anything that wasn't sung by Journey, and my little sister is going through an obscure hip-hop phase. We ALL loved this CD. There's really something there for everyone, and even the weakest song on there (in my humble opinion, Strut) isn't bad enough to skip.
Embrace the glitter, find your eyeliner, and buy this. You won't be disappointed.
on 18 December 2009
"I was born with glitter on my face/My baby clothes were made of leather and lace"

Just buy this it loud, and blast yourself off to Planet Adam. It's absolutely fantastic.

It's impossible to listen to this without dancing, singing, strutting, smiling - just wow! Of the 14 tracks, every one of them could be a hit single. But thanks to Adam's influence and amazing vocal range, they're all still esoteric enough that they aren't overly commercial, and there's something for everyone - a song for every mood. The previews don't do it justice.

The CD kicks off with the playful adrenaline rush of Justin Hawkins' 'Music Again', then there's the addictive electro/dance glam rock shuffle of 'For Your Entertainment', the perfect pop rock angst of Pink's 'Whataya Want From Me', and the fantastically over-the-top dance/rock empowerment vibe of 'Strut', after which Adam's darkly dramatic vocals soar into another world on Muse's stunning 'Soaked'. 'Sure Fire Winners' picks up the pace again with a harder glam rock edginess and some trademark wails, followed by the gorgeously minimal falsetto contradiction of 'A Loaded Smile'. This CD just goes on forever, and every track seems better than the last. 'If I Had You' has an impossibly catchy techno disco beat, 'Pick U Up' is a completely addictive pop/rock track with electrifying vocals, and that's followed by Lady Gaga's brilliant retro dance track 'Fever'. Adam's glammily over-the-top cat-dragged-in vocals on 'Fever' are out of this world, and completely different to anything else on here. But there's more still - the last third of the CD tones it down a bit and reaches a dream-like state with the haunting 'Sleepwalker', the anthemic positivity of 'Aftermath', and the beautiful, ethereal heartbeat which is 'Broken Open', one of the 4 tracks which Adam co-wrote. 'Time for Miracles', a classic American power ballad from the film 2012 has been included as the final, bonus track. There are also two extra bonus tracks out there which aren't on the CD - 'Masterplan' and the hypnotic 'Down the Rabbit Hole', a fantastic alternative techno track which Adam also co-wrote.

All of this is makes for quite an eclectic mix - and it is pure Adam. There are echoes of the various directions he was going in pre-Idol - with the grunge rock band Citizen Vein (alongside Monte Pittman, currently guitarist in Adam's band), his glam OTT Zodiac Show performances, and his Digital Glitter techno dance tracks. But 'For Your Entertainment' is fresh and beautifully produced, with great songs and a lot of high-powered input.

Adam's personality and eccentricities run through the lyrics and leap out of the speakers, while that astonishing voice twists and turns thorough each song as if on some demented interplanetary rollercoaster.

It's all For Your Entertainment. Stunning.
on 15 March 2010
I bought the US version of For Your Entertainment last November and it is a superb listen, combining 70s glam rock, 80s electro-pop and a modern edge, all delivered by one of the best vocals around today. The UK release has additional tracks making it a must - Down the Rabbit Hole is one of the catchiest, craziest songs I've ever heard. Also check out Adam's superb unplugged versions of some of these tracks.
on 21 March 2010
I've followed Adam since day one on American Idol, and this album is everything I expected it to be - absolutely fantastic! I have the US version, but as the previous reviewer said, Voodoo is worth the money on its own, so I will also be buying this (even though I have already downloaded Voodoo!!) Adam is the most exciting vocalist since Freddie Mercury and George Michael for me, and I think he's going to have an incredible career. Every song on this album is excellent - recommended a million times over!!!
on 23 November 2009
I bought this album today (upon the day of its release). How people could possibly review this album before it had even be released I don't know.

Anyway, getting back to the album. I have long awaited Adam Lambert's album release, Adam having been my favourite to win throughout American Idol. I love his voice, and it's so versatile. The album certainly doesn't disappoint. I would describe it as a pop/rock album. Personal favourites include:-
'Music Again' (80's style!),
'Soaked' (Anthem Style Song - Can imagine it being a film soundtrack),
'Sure Fire Winners' (Pop/Rock Song with a really catchy chorus and will get you singing along!),
'Pick You Up' (Pop/Rock Opera. Has an 80's sound, and a show tune edge to it. Brilliant song and brilliant chorus. Outstanding!),
For Your Entertainment' (Catchy Pop Song),
'Whataya Want From Me?' (Has a rock edge to it, and carries the inspirational message of 'Don't Give Up'!)
'Fever' (Pop/Dance Track. Can imagine them playing this in the clubs),
'Time For Miracles' which is the 2012 Film Soundtrack (not surprisingly!)

His album cover and artwork is certainly eyecatching! (Gothic/Spaceage/Rock style). I didn't recognise him at first (looking at the front cover), until I looked at the rest of the artwork! Adam Lambert can't really be compared to anyone, as he's so individual and unique. He has his own style, and I reckon he is destined for huge success.

Definitely one of the best albums of 2009!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 December 2009
I was looking forward to receiving this CD as I had seen Adam Lambert on American Idol and was blown away by his voice.

Unfortunately the first time I heard the CD I was disappointed. The first few songs I heard I could imagine other people singing them and then the songs began to sound very theatrical. The last few songs I began to enjoy and felt that the songs were perfect for the singer.

I have listened to the CD several times now and the more I listen to it the more I enjoy it and I get more from the CD each time.

If you liked Adam Lambert on American Idol it will take a little getting used to but after several hearings you will begin to enjoy this album and you will hear more clearly the amazing vocalist that is Adam Lambert.
on 18 March 2010
I already have the original release and have now pre-ordered this UK version. Another added track, 'Voodoo' is worth the total asking price.
Adam has so many acoustic versions of these tracks available to view. They are mostly live performances and show what an experience his live gigs will be. His voice has amazing range, colour and emotion and he totally owns the stage.
Please read the reviews on the original cd (with the glam rock cover) here on Amazon; there are 59 reviews that really go into depth; track-by-track. (4.5 stars btw)

PS The cd I just mentioned is shown here (I purchased it on the 28th Jan) as being available on 26th April. The full cd was available in January this year, the UK version, on May 3rd.
The blurb page is incredibly confusing; it doesn't show the single release which IS 26th April.
on 16 May 2010
Adam was the true winner of American Idol 2009 and this album showcases his eclectic style. There are tracks here that remind me of Scissor Sisters (Strut), Radiohead circa The Bends/Muse (Soaked), any of the recent male vocalists like Joshua Radin/Fyfe Dangerfield (Aftermath/Time For Miracles) and there is some suggestion that Lady Gaga handed over "Fever" and judging by the swagger and cheek of the song... a duet between the two would be perfect. Adam has a very distinct voice which can be wild and very "The Darkness" or calm and seductive, whichever you want.

Was lucky enough to see Adam performing some of these tracks during a promotional visit to London. He's fantastic live.

A star in the making - get this album. My favourite of the year so far!
on 3 January 2010
Bought this CD for my brother who had heard Adam on the American show - decided to listen to it before sending it to him. Wow - this guy is great - sounds alot like Freddie Mercury - his music is different - he has his own style. I think its a great CD
on 21 January 2010
Let me preference this with the fact that I am not an AI fan. My usual tastes run more towards Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, Neutral Milk Hotel, PJ Harvey etc.. However I saw a clip of Adam performing a song at the Zodiac show on the internet and was instantly captivated and amazed by his vocal range.

This album doesn't really showcase all that he is able to do with that voice of his, but what it does do is contain it in some of the most fun, ridiculous and happy-making pop music I have heard in a long time.

Pop music doesn't have to be empty and vacuous and this has just enough edge [it's sexual, it's a little naughty] to it to move it above the bland commercial crap we've come to think of as pop in the last couple of decades. This is pop in the way that Bowie, Blondie, Adam and the Ants are POP.

It's an eclectic album even within the confines of the pop genre and this has been helped by some of the song writing talent involved [Lady Gaga, Matt Bellamy, Rivers Cuomo etc on top of Adam himself] as well as the fact that Adam's can sing in so many different ways and still sound good and recognisable enough to be the thread through the eclectic mix.

This is the best debut album I've heard in a long time.