on 16 November 2009
This book was written at the very end of Keith Floyd's life,and although I found it very sad it is essential to read it to round off his story. The "Ghost", James Steen, has done an excellent job, Keith Floyd was in the mood to talk and reminisce about his past, at times angry, sad or resigned, and Steen has condensed what must have been many hours of thoughts and words into a well rounded book. So many people in Floyd's life took advantage of his generous nature, and in this book it all comes back - unlike the previous episodes of his autobiography where he was still positive and full of optimism. In this book he talks in greater depth of the saddest times, holding nothing back. There will never be another Floyd, I was lucky enough to meet him at a book signing and he was just as his TV self, a real gentleman with humour, a great love of food, wine and life. Floydy, you will be sorely missed.
on 22 March 2010
I have always admired and enjoyed the work of Keith Floyd and do believe that he started a whole generation of would be amatuer cooks as well as quite a few professional ones! I watched the programme on him just before he died and was quite saddened and amused at the same time and for me this is what Keith was and what his book relays - a whole mix of emotions! I was glad when the snow arrived in January after receiving my book, as it meant that rather than drive to work, I could use the time on the bus, to read it as I didnt want to put it down! I was very sad when I came to the end of the book as I knew that this was it - there would be no more Floyd. If you enjoyed his TV programmes you will enjoy this.
on 5 November 2009
I eagerly awaited this book and was not disappointed at all - it's a great insight into the life and times of one of my all times heroes - Keith Floyd. The book details his early career, rise to fame, time when work was either non-existant or scarce and when the demons of life became too much. Some of the book is well known and previously documented but much was a revelation to me and some was down right uncomfortable to read and bordering on being far too honest for his own good.
It is with great regret that this book came out as Keith's life ended but is a fitting tribute to the man who made cookery interesting, honest and fun - today's chef's just do not come close.
This man is the reason I enjoy cooking so much today - no buggering about, just good wholesome regional cooking without frills or fancy.
My one regret is having been in the presence of Keith I never had the bottle to get his autograph.

Rest in Peace Keith and thanks for the fun, the food and the memories.............
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 November 2014
I've just finished the Audible version of this book and was totally immersed. I loved Floyd as a TV chef in the 80's. He was articulate, informed, intelligent, irreverent and above all, entertaining. This is a warts and all account. It moved me to tears and laughter in equal measure. He was a man with talent, energy and above all, a heart of gold.

Forthright when required, it seems his honesty gained him a reputation for appearing 'difficult'. Well done that man; he was unafraid to say what he believed. His approach to food and cooking was honest and inspirational. His perceived affectations belied a man with real talent for food and taste, without pretension. His financial and personal dealings seem to have been troubled but I have no doubt that he was a good and honest guy. The final chapters were particularly moving. In his mid 60's, having reached a point where major health, personal and financial issues were resolved or positive he was at a composed and peaceful place in his life with much to look forward to. Poignant doesn't begin to describe the heartbreak that the final pages describe...

But overall, this was a delightful romp through the life and places which shaped a truly unique individual. The world is poorer after his passing but the legend lives on and I loved this book.
on 6 April 2012
As we are wont to remind ourselves when someone passes, 'we will always have what they gave us'. In Floyd's case, what he gave us was much indeed. Essentially it was the passion - for food, for life and even for love, although at his own admission he never seemed to be able to make it last (the love that is). This testament to a touching, hilarious, witty, sometimes vexing but always authentic human being was completely un-put-downable. Luckily I got it as a Mother's Day gift so was able to guiltlessly lie around all day and read the best part of it, finishing off in stints standing at the cooker later in the week. If you want a book that makes you laugh, cry and go 'aw' all at once, this is it - he was a legend and must have been tremendous fun to have as a friend. I thoroughly recommend it!
on 31 March 2014
This is a well-written / ghosted biography - easy to read and running at a fair pace.

There is no doubt that KF had absolute control over the content - awkward bits are mostly glossed over, while the positives are given rather more airtime. The story mostly focuses on his business adventures, with a smattering of personal bits and pieces; thankfully (from my point of view at least) there is little in the way of cheffy stuff.

However, I was struck by several apparent conflicts in the narrative. KF claimed to hate all the celebrity stuff, but put a fair amount of time and effort into the equivalent of supermarket openings - appearances on strange TV programmes, guest speaking at odd events, etc - all inadequately justified (if he needed the cash, why not just say so?).

He was also, shall we say, unlucky in love. And extraordinarily useless in business. No financial acumen at all - multiple restaurant failures, employing obviously-unsuitable staff, etc, etc.

Still an enjoyable read though - and I could hear Keith's voice narrating the story throughout. Still the best of the celebrity chefs!
on 5 February 2010
If you like Keith Floyd from the TV and you like to read, you should enjoy the book. Reading it, I could imagine Floyd's voice telling the story of life, restaurants, friends and filming. He captuers the good, the bad and the frustrating times in a way that you can easily visualise.
on 9 February 2011
Reading this book I realised we had a lot in common, ( Rugby, Army and love of food etc ), and one of my biggest regrets is not tracking him down for a drink (or two) at one of his ventures.
I even eat at one of his Clifton restaurants without realising the significance at the time.
I grew up with him as an Icon of what cooking was all about and he inspired my interest in food and wine to this day, and now my son shares his enthusiasm.
This book makes a compelling read and is a roller-coaster of emotions as you share his ups and downs, which make it almost a tragi-comedy, but full of great lessons about life can throw at you, and how to keep fighting back.
In the end, he died not long after the book was completed, in a manner that would have brought a wry smile to his lips.
Cheers Keith
Met Floyd at the height of his fame and was keen to read his book. Cam over as a bit of a man's man but that is a compliment in my book.

I liked this book a lot. Seems to me to be an honest and very humorous retailing of Keith Floyds life with what seems more downs then ups. Laughed quite a few times and I could really hear Floyd's voice when I read it. I like his impish humour - writing about festivals and places which didn't exist in his books but still getting letters from those who proclaimed to have visited and enjoyed these places and events.

Te book is a must read for those foodies, though who love Floyd and anyone with the faintest interest in food.

We need more honest to earth chefs like Floyd and Rick Stein the todays bunch of celebrity chefs in my book!
on 30 May 2016
We owe a debt of gratitude to David Pritchard who brought Keith Floyd, slurping wine and tossing plates about, to our television sets in the 1980s. Together they remoulded whom we thought should be in the kitchen and dragged many a latent male chef from the couch to clatter about in the cutlery drawer. Floyd is honest in relating his addictions and disasters and rarely fails to flatter, begrudgingly, his old director. Alcohol was his best friend and worst enemy, as was 'Floydy', his TV incarnation that dogged his public and private life. If you loved Floyd, you must read this. Even though ghost written, one cannot fail to hear his voice as you turn each page. Very funny but ultimately sad. He will always be missed as simply the best.