Published on 27 Mar 2012 by anguish extinguished

2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle copy
I made a mistake buying the Kindle version of this brilliant book. It doesn't have the accompanying CD which is important to have plus, although you can get it free or download, so far niether has been successful. Another nuisance is being able to flick back and forth when reading some of the activities. Best to go for paper this time.
Published 6 months ago by Concerned Consumer

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, profound, intelligent and better than all the other psych books I have ever read., 27 Mar 2012
This review is from: Mindsight: The New Science of Personal Transformation (Unabridged) (Audio Download)
I bought the book some time ago and it did require some degree of deep concentration as Dr. Siegel is very in-depth but that is also appreciated. I have read many books in my life in the areas of psych/self-help and the whole yadda but I will honestly say that after some 15 years of being on all kinds of anti-depressants, numerous suicide attempts and various other personal tragedies from PTSD to childhood abuse, Mindsight by Dr. Siegel is by far, the best book I have read that has given me so much hope that I can heal my mind and to change. In fact, this book beats any damn therapist I have sat with, listening to their psychobabble knowing exactly what they are getting at, and often wrong.

This book has given me so much hope that the clinicians I work with have ordered it for their medical library as a book to read.

I recommend an audiobook version to go with this title as some of the neurobiological terms might be hard for the layperson to grasp. I particularly enjoyed the level of detail because I did ace biology in school so I am not afraid of the technicalities. In fact, I think Dr. Siegel has done a tremendous job in simplifying the science and as Einstein has said - "Anyone can complicate a matter but it takes a genius to simply something complex" and Dr. Siegel has done just that.

Thanks for all your hardwork, Dr. Siegel. You have helped to transform otherwise downtrodden lives in much pain and after chancing upon your books, you have most certainly halved the therapeutic time needed for recovery with all your insight and genius.

*ps. The recording might seem some what hoarse as first but persevere as it gets better beyond the first few minutes and isn't the same the rest. Dr. Siegel narrates with sincerity and empathy. I have always preferred a writer to do the narration himself and readers/listeners are lucky that Dr. Siegel took the effort to do so.

Enjoy!

B.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mindsight as therapy, 3 Jan 2011
Daniel Siegel's Mindsight offers a rare combination of clinical case studies and easy to understand neuroscience that allows us to understand his success with the treatment of mental illness. Siegel is a top psychiatrist who has himself experienced the power of meditation and he is brave enough to challenge the status quo and provide powerful evidence that techniques derived from the ancient practice of meditation work at a very deep level on the human psyche. It is reassuring to hear from a Harvard trained professional that drugs are not the answer to some of the mental disorders now so common among us: depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety, and so on and so forth. The more medical and psychology professinals and therapists that read this book, the more chances we'll have of moving towards a more humane treatment of mental disorders.

5.0 out of 5 stars How and why the mind uses the brain to create itself in order "to promote physical, psychological, and interpersonal well-being", 5 Oct 2012
Robert Morris (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
In Shakespeare's play, Hamlet, Polonius offers this advice to his son Laertes before his departure for college:

"This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,

Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Urging the young man to be true to himself is sound advice but presupposes that Laertes knows who he is. For most of us, self-knowledge is immensely difficult to obtain and even more difficult to accept. However, Socrates insists that the unexamined life is not worth living. All this is relevant to Daniel Siegel's latest book, Mindsight, in which he discusses the core principles and potential significance of "the new science of personal transformation," a process during which the brain creates itself or increases its capabilities "to promote physical, psychological, and interpersonal well-being."

As Daniel Goleman correctly observes in an uncommonly enlightening Foreword, "Daniel Siegel's theory of mindsight -- the brain's capacity for both insight and empathy...makes sense for us out of the cluttered confusions of our sometimes maddening and messy emotions...Self-awareness and empathy are (along with self-mastery and social skills) domains of human ability essential for success in life...Of these four skills, self-awareness lays the foundation for the rest."

There are several concepts or themes central to Siegel's narrative. For example, "The Triangle of Well-Being" reveals three aspects of our lives (i.e. relationships, mind, and brain) that "form the three mutual influencing points of the Triangle of Well-Bring." Mindsight enables us to become aware of, indeed monitor and modify "the flow of energy and information within the Triangle of Well-Being." Two others are "A Window of Tolerance" (see Pages 137-139 and 269-270) and "The Wheel of Awareness" (91-93 and 95-96). Siegel explains why Goleman is dead-on: "self-awareness lays the foundation for the rest." That is not to suggest, however, that one's self-awareness must be total before the expanded and enlightened mindsight can be applied. There are several reasons why I think this is so. Here are the two I think are most important: first, all human beings change (for better or worse) as does the potential self-knowledge to be obtained; the process of self-examination to which Socrates refers is endless until death. My second reason is that, over time, during our personal transformation, others will interact with us differently as will we with them and adjustments must be made, thereby increasing the number and quality of opportunities for gaining new, valuable insights about ourselves, of course, but also about human nature.

These are among the dozens of passages that caught my eye:

o "Hand Model of the Brain" (Pages 14-22)
o "The Mechanism of Mindlessness" (26-30)
o "What Fires Together, Wires Together" (40-43)
o "A healthy Mind: Complexity and Self-Organization (68-69)
o "A Mindful Approach to Changing the Mind" (83-84)
o "Awareness Training and Stabilizing the Mind" (93-98)
o "Building Inner Resources" (135-137)
o "Patterns of Attachment" (167-171)
o "An Unresolved and Disorganized Mind" (182-188)
o "Top-Down and Bottom-Up" (200-203)
o "Making Sense of the Past to Free the Present" (217-220)

Then in the Appendix, I especially appreciate the provision of "a dozen basic concepts and related terms and ideas that form a foundation for our approach of mindsight, integration, and well-being" (267-270) followed by extensively annotated Notes (271-300). When reviewing key points later, I would begin with these two sections.

No brief commentary such as mind can possibly do full justice to the scope and depth of material that Siegel provides in this volume. I conclude with three points that are of special importance to me and will be, perhaps, to many others who read this brilliant book. First, our mind is what the brain does and the brain (viewed as a muscle) can be expanded and strengthened, with that process limited only by the nature and extent of our commitment to it. Second, the material Siegel provides has compelling and substantial importance to improving child development within and beyond their schools. Finally, I agree with Daniel Siegel that mindsight can allow us to "see the internal workings of our own minds," to be sure, but it can also help us to increase our understanding and appreciation others and -- through meaningful interaction with them -- increase their understanding and appreciation of us. That is indeed a compelling vision.

5.0 out of 5 stars very helpful, 27 July 2013
New information and very clear explanations of how the brain and neurotransmitters work and how you can use the brain's plasticity to make changes to your behaviour. Recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars FAB, 4 May 2013
Dr Siegel explains how understanding the structure of the brain can be used to heal people. Thus someone who has difficulty accessing their feelings or understanding others will do exercises to strengthen the 'feelings' parts of the brain and are able to change more effectively than they would by talking about why they can't understand feelings. I would love to watch Dr Siegel treating patients and see him demonstrate the exercises he uses - any chance of a DVD?

2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle copy, 13 Jun 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 2 May 2014
This is an easy read which pulls together the current scientific research of psychotherapy and the brain, without getting lost in unnecessary words. It keeps to the point in an effortless flow of information. I really enjoyed it !

5.0 out of 5 stars Seminal, 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: Mindsight (Kindle Edition)
One of those books that inform the way we think, the way we live and our concepts of life the universe and everything. One not to be missed

5.0 out of 5 stars From the man who knows about all things to do with mindfulness, 13 Feb 2013
Suited more to the academic amongst us - for the reference section alone - but an impeccable delivery on THE most important subject to be considered by our species today - written in a manner that most will find easy, informative and enjoyable

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 6 July 2014
Good insight into the inner working of your mind