4.0 out of 5 stars A Chatty Autobiography
Kristin Chenoweth has done well for herself. She's turned a lifelong love of performing and an incredible (and unique) voice into a successful career. This book is her autobiography. As a fan, I couldn't put it down.

Published on 29 Jun 2009 by Mark Baker

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read
This book was really interesting and gave a great insight into Kristin Chenoweth's life, a lot of it anchored in her relationship with Aaron Sorkin. I loved the way she talked about her adopted parents, loved the Wicked section and The West Wing chapter, and it was really interesting to read how she inspired the Harriet Hayes character on Studio 60.
Published 10 months ago by Dreams Unwind

4.0 out of 5 stars A Chatty Autobiography, 29 Jun 2009
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Told in many ways in parallel, more modern events transitioning to stories from early in her life and career, we get a sense of the woman who has one Tony and multiple nominations to her credit. (And the fact that it isn't more awards is a shame). Through stories of her early years, we see the family that gave her a solid base on which to build. We see the early luck and the early struggles that put her in the right place and the right time for her star to rise.

While she never gets into the private details, we do learn a bit more about her relationship with Aaron Sorkin (aka Mr. Writer), the controversies stirred up by her second CD promotional tour, and her decisions to pose for FMH. And yes, we get a few stories from her time in Wicked, her first TV show, and Charlie Brown.

This isn't an in depth autobiography. Kristin herself admits she's condensed stuff and at times combined people to protect them and speed the story along. I can certainly respect her keeping details of her personal life private, but at times the book did feel a bit light.

But I really did enjoy it. From the interviews I've seen, Kristin has always come across as a warm, friendly person, and that shines through in the book. I felt like she was in the same room with me, telling me these stories. And, being a fan of much of her work, I ate it up. There were quite a few laugh out loud moments as well.

Kristin's many fans will definitely enjoy this look at the actress. The book flies by much too fast.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 14 Sep 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT!, 6 Feb 2011
I love love love this book! so amazing for any kristin fans, and for anyone :) i read this book so quickly and intend to read it again. It tells your her experiences before broadway, and experiences during. It was a very funny book, had me smiling alot. SO happy i brought it, even if your not a kristin fan its a great read! LOVED THIS BOOK and LOVE HER!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Future Musical Theatre Stars, 6 Feb 2014
My daughter absolutely loves this book. Being only 5ft herself and hoping to be a success in the business it is an inspirational story to her.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Kristin!, 16 Mar 2013
I'm a fan of Kristin after enjoying her on Pushing Daisies and Glee and this book was a brilliant insight into her life from her upbringing, family life, to the Broadway stage! Every aspect of her life is covered from her relationships to career and she writes in a way that feels like she's sat across from you telling you tales over a cup of tea. Her bubbly personality comes across very well and to be honest I had a bit of a girl crush after I finished! I particularly enjoyed how she discussed her faith and how at times her Christian beliefs don't always fit in with life on the stage - for example when she talks of the time she was stopped from performing at a Christian womens conference because of her liberal views on homosexuality. As a Christian I found these parts very inspiring and perhaps if more Christians were as compassionate as she is the Church would be a bit more popular. If would recommend this book if you are interested in musicals and broadway to get a look into what it's really like trying to make it in New York.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Amazing life of Kristin Chenoweth, 13 Jan 2013
it is amazing i loved every second of it i read it in a day so inspiring for me wow!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Kristin, love this book., 2 Aug 2012
Amy Ratcliffe (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
This book makes for a fascinating read as I never really knew what happens behind the scenes of musical productions. Kristin talks about her education, family and faith. It also gives an insight into the real world of a perfomer/actress/singer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to read, 23 Mar 2011
What a fantastic book by a beautiful person. Kristin's selfless personality shines through as she speaks about her early life and her early theatre experiences. I would have liked a little bit more information on her times in 'Wicked' but other than that I was not disappointed. It has opened my eyes and as cheesy as it sounds, Kristin's inspiring views on religion and her positive view of life have made me want to be a more happier person. A must have for any Wicked or theatre fans and for those who are feeling a tad down or who need a pick me up - this book will certainly cheer you up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Personality shines through, 16 July 2010
J. Weetman - See all my reviews
This book bubbles over with wit and charm. If you enjoy reading life stories about theatre types then this book is for you. And of course for the legion of Wicked fans, this one is not to be missed.

3.0 out of 5 stars An Enjoyable Read, but ..., 12 May 2014
Mark Syder (Prescot, England) - See all my reviews
As a fan of Kristin's I enjoyed this book with a couple of reservations.

Starting with the positives, it's an interesting read that gives an insight into her life both before and after she became famous. It's written in a very conversational tone which feels as though Kristin is in the room talking to you rather than you reading a book about her (I have to ask you to believe that I thought that before I read it in other reviews).

Moving on to the negatives:

1. it's not written in chronological order. If a chapter starts to tell the story of events surrounding a particular Broadway play I want to have some context: was this play when she was still largely unknown or when she was a star? The dedicated Kristin fan may know that information immediately they see the name of the play, but I know her from television programmes and music (I have all four of her albums on CD). Living in England means it's very unlikely I'll ever see her on Broadway (as much as I'd like to) so that's not an aspect of her life that I've explored in great depth. There is a chronological list of life events at the end of the book, but I only discovered that when I reached the end.

2. There's no index. I'm not the kind of person to read an autobiography and then put it on a shelf never to be looked at again. If, some time in the future, I see Kristin on a television programme, it's possible I'll want to open this book to see how she felt about the programme and if there are any interesting stories about events that took place during filming. Without an index, this will be very difficult.

Since reading this book I've checked several (auto)biographies on my bookshelf and am surprised at how many of them do not have indexes - it's possibly more noticeable with this one because of my earlier criticism. If the story of her life were told chronologically I could make an inspired guess as to which chapter a particular television programme was going to be discussed in.

3. The proofreading wasn't thorough enough. There is one reference to someone being "today". I suppose it's just possible that Kristin was describing this person as being thoroughly modern and up to date, but from the context of the paragraph I think the word should be "toady". Similarly, "who's" is used where "whose" is appropriate. I admit I'm picking up on a small number of mistakes, but my copy is a second edition - if these mistakes were in the first edition, they should have been noticed and removed before the reprint.

Back to the positives, Kristin comes across as a genuinely nice person (I'd be worried about someone who didn't come across as a nice person in their autobiography!). She tells the story of attending her first concert (Amy Grant) and how Amy stayed behind to sign an autograph for every person who wanted one, no matter how tired she was. She took time to talk to Kristin and make the autograph personal. Kristin was so impressed she promised herself that, if she became famous, she would be as nice to her public as Amy Grant was to her.

It's a shame that, being over 50, I'll never get to taste her Chenolicious White Trash Cookies - I'll leave you to read the book to find out why.

Having given a middle star ranking with several criticisms I feel the need to reassure you that I did enjoy this book and, if it's ever updated (and especially if it includes an index) I will be happy to buy the updated version.