5.0 out of 5 stars What Katie did next
Everything I loved about "Made of Bricks" is still present in "My Best Friend Is You" but crucially some new elements have been added. Kate now does "dark" and occasionally she does "rage".....it took me totally by surprise.
Published on 19 April 2010 by G. Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disapointed
Published on 8 April 2011 by Katie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disapointed, 8 April 2011
This review is from: My Best Friend Is You (Audio CD)
I love her first album, it took me a while to really get into it but once i did it was often on repeat! So I was hoping that the same will happen for 'My best Friend Is You' it is alot darker and does a bit less of the half speaking half singing thing I love, so part of me was a bit disapointed but that may just be because I had higher expectations. However, there some great songs for example 'Doo waa doo' and 'Kiss The Grrrl' my favourite songs on the album. It's worth buying! And I would recomend it, I just hope it grows on me a little more.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Katie did next, 19 April 2010
G. Thomas (Canterbury UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My Best Friend Is You (Audio CD)
To be honest that's simplifying matters a little but for me the "rage" is certainly (initially) the most arresting thing about this album. The songs here are definitely far more mature with much fuller production (courtesy of the great Bernard Butler no less) but they now exhibit a distinct edginess which thankfully never strays into the overwrought.

The whimsical has been almost replaced by a brooding anger and disappointment but Kate Nash still has a wickedly humourous and very pertinent way of expressing herself.
Don't get me wrong, this is still a very positive album which delivers Kate Nash's unique interpretation of the world around her and I absolutely love every moment of it.

I'm sure that this album won't convert those who already seem to loathe Ms Nash with such unreasonable hatred but I think it totally delivers on the promise of her first release and shows what a true talent she actually is.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kate Nash - Lily Allen from hell, 17 May 2010
Red on Black - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Best Friend Is You (Audio CD)
Things have become truly desperate and I have now resorted to the deception of safely disabling my daughters stereo in order not to be tortured by yet another full play of this diabolical album from the horrible and monotonous "mockney" whine of Kate Nash. The damn thing has been on repeat for weeks and as far as I can tell its only redeeming feature would be as a form of "white noise" to torment prisoners accused of heinous and despicable crimes. While I have never held in high store Ms Lily Allen she is clearly a veritable poet laureate in comparison to the pre pubescent rhymes of Ms Nash. A sample for your delectation is drawn from "Doo wah do" where the language of Shakespeare is reduced to couplets of such sophistication that "Everyone thinks that girls a lady, but I don't, I think that girls shady". Bloody hell as they say in French and proof were it needed that an A Level "English Lit" is not the force it once was.

Ms Nash also concludes this "magnum hopeless" with a song entitled "I hate seagulls". I will readily admit that I share with our BRIT school prodigy an intense dislike of these belligerent vertebrates from Hades particularly when one of these sky borne thugs stole half a bag of chips from my hands at a notable English seaside resort in recent months. That said were it to come down to a straight choice of Ms Nash's singing or a recording of one of these wretched birds squawking for a full 40 minutes it would be the feathery opportunistic scavenger that gets my vote every time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her first, 12 May 2013
This review is from: My Best Friend Is You (Audio CD)
This album is good, but definitely not as good as her first! Worth it for such a cheap price but wouldn't necessarily recommend. Sorry Kate!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rapturous Music From A Major Talent, 21 Jun 2012
This review is from: My Best Friend Is You (Audio CD)
What can you say about Kate Nash? The apogee of feminine artistry? The rapturous innocence of her music? We should all be very proud of this girl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have album, 12 Jun 2012
This review is from: My Best Friend Is You (Audio CD)
I bought this album after finding my copy of 'made of bricks' as I remembered how much I loved Kate Nash. She had a alot to live up to as I really liked the first album, and I wasn't disappointed. It's very different from the first album but this album has a lot more emotion and you can see that she has been through a lot. My favourite ones of the album have to be 'Don't you want to share the guilt?' and 'I hate seagulls'
I would recommend this album to everyone

4.0 out of 5 stars Do-Wah-Doo, 16 April 2010
J. Ball "Joshua Ball" (Valencia, ES) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Best Friend Is You (Audio CD)
"My Best Friend Is You" is shockingly well written, produced and put together. Kate Nash's first offering "Made of Bricks" was decent enough, but the genre grew a tad tired and in retrospect her lyrics and music at times were a bit silly and immature. With this record Nash has grown in strength lyrically and musically. It's clear from the offset that this album is going to be a different kettle of fish than the former.

It kicks off with "Paris" a heavily influenced retro girl group pop song, which is an excellent opener, catchy and easy to listen to. You all will have heard "Do-Wah-Doo" which is a brilliant choice for a first single, if not a touch deceptive to what you're about to listen to. "I Just Love You More" is reminiscent of an Elastica song or something Karen O might do. The main ballad on the album "You Were So Far Away" could have come from a Kimya Dawson album. "Don't You Want To Share The Guilt" sounds like a Los Campesinos track.

The main things which grabs you is how tight the songs are and how there really isn't any filler in the album, every song is worthy of a listen. Nash has really matured and developed into a credible artist, she has obviously been influenced by 60's girl bands, alternative pop bands and some of the more obscure singer/songwriters, whilst also retaining her own unique take on events. This album is really a great amalgamation of all these sounds. I would definitely recommend you give this a listen even if you found her former album off putting. Don't let her reputation deter you from what could be one of your favourite albums of the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't help but love the grrrl..., 20 April 2010
This review is from: My Best Friend Is You (Audio CD)
Punchy and intricate but somehow more thoughtful than its predecessor. My Best Friend Is You may boast more elaborate production, but never veers away from the essence of what makes Kate Nash a standalone artist. All superlatives apply: explosive, dreamy, heartfelt and always utterly compelling. It took three years to follow-up Made Of Bricks, but the wait is easily justified. Here is another Kate Nash album with no playlist expiry date. Can't help but love the grrrl.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing..., 27 April 2010
Hannah Lou (Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Best Friend Is You (Audio CD)
I love Kate Nash. I can listen to every song on her first album, 'Made of Bricks' over and over again. So when I heard her new album 'My Best Friend is You' was being released, I rushed out to buy it.
The first couple of songs are good. I like 'Paris' and 'Kiss That Grrl' is probably my favourite on the album. 'Don't You Want To Share The Guilt?' is okay, but nothing amazing. It kind of rambles a bit and is as though Kate just strung some sentences that rhymed together but don't really go anywhere. I can't listen to 'I Just Love You More' or 'I've got a Secret' as they're both basically just Kate repeating the same lines over and over. 'Take Me To A Higher Plane' is okay but gets annoying towards the end, as do a lot of songs on the album. 'Mansion Song' is awful, it literally is just Kate talking and shouting all the way through - no singing whatsoever. I like 'Early Christmas Present', as it's more like her older stuff (as is 'Kiss That Grrl') The last few songs on the album all kind of merge into one for me; 'Later On' is okay (but nothing brilliant) and 'I Hate Seagulls' is just annoying... it's trying to be 'Nicest Thing' from her previous album but is no where near as good.
To be honest I was really disappointed with this album. As there was such a wait for it I thought it was going to be spectacular, but a lot of the songs feel like Kate just hasn't tried. It's so different from 'Made of Bricks', it feels as though there's no heart in it. I find a lot of the songs really repetitive and annoying to listen to, I'm kind of forcing myself to listen when I really want the song to end! Sorry Kate, I do love you, but this album is nothing compared to 'Made of Bricks', and I think a lot of fans are going to be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definately worth the money, 13 Nov 2010
This review is from: My Best Friend Is You (Audio CD)
I have the other Kate Nash album and I finally got this. It's a great CD, I love the song, "Kiss that grrrl".
I would surely recommend this CD to any Kate Nash fans. I haven't listened to it enough to compare it to the other album, that may take a few weeks but I'm sure it will be just as good as the first album.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

My Best Friend Is You
My Best Friend Is You by Kate Nash (Audio CD - 2010)