Prior to buying my pair of Hunters, I had always assumed that wellies 'were' wellies - just boots which only differed in style or material to a loose degree. As per usual, my stubbornness was proved wrong when I decided to push the boat out and get a pair for my rainy ventures into town. Oh, and for the rarity we do actually have snow here! (Note: Foul weather not included)

Though I'm still perplexed as to why these are 'the' thing to wear at Glastonbury (lets face it, its just a place for girls to be seen anyway! Don't hurt me....), I can honestly now appreciate why they're cost that little bit more than your standard PVC products. The quality all round is fantastic! Upon taking them out the nice box, greeted with its own carry handle, you'll get a waft of that lovely natural smell of rubber that is supple, but still offers good support to the whole boot. You just know from holding it that these things, which are vulcanised, are that bit more special. The sole is also very good - standing up well to rough surfaces, though I dare say that they're fair better on more natural ground where they belong.

The most important thing is that they're comfortable and fit 'really' well. How often have you tried on someone else wellies and they either feel stiff and awkward, or generally misshaped? These Hunters on the hand really hug your feet, making it quite sad taking them off. With regards to fit, it should be known that these "Short" models have a slightly different cut to the standard "Tall" variants. The Short products have a wider calf width, and I believe the heel is also slightly wider too, as they're designed to be taken on and off quickly.

In terms of sizing, there is something to definitely think about when ordering. Normally I'll get away with Size 10 shoes if they're wide, since I myself have quite wide feet, and thats with normal socks. Obviously different brands vary... My Converse are 9's but they're a bit tight, yet my Adidas Stan Smith's of the same size feel too spacious! I ordered the Size 9 Hunters and they're absolutely perfect - not only because they have a lovely wide area at the toes, but they leave plenty of room for thick socks. I would therefore suggest that you shouldn't worry about going for a size down than what you're used to.

On a final pointer, I've noticed how the colours of these wellies on websites and brochures tend to differ slightly from real life. I got the 'Dark Olive Green' style, and they're definitely a touch darker than in photo's. This isn't a problem, I just thought I'd highlight it.

I'll definitely say that these boots are much more, as a friend put it, 'socially acceptable' than other wellies (blurb for 'they look well good'), and that as a guy I don't give a second thought to wearing them out and about. But they're a treat when going for walks in the woods or anywhere that would otherwise ruin normal shoes, and for that I'd be more than happy to pay the extra bit for these Hunters than other brands.
55 comments| 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 August 2012
After 6 months of reasonable use one of the boots split down the back seam. Not the level of quality I expected from Hunters. Amazon very good and gave full refund under the Hunter 12 months warranty.
on 24 October 2013
I wear my wellies every day, regardless of the weather, to walk my dog so I always buy good quality boots. After approximately 8 months and many miles my boots leaked and spit in a number of places. Amazon was fantastic… I emailed to explain my problem ( after a couple of failed repair jobs) and because Hunter boots come with 12 month guarantee I was given a full refund which enabled me to purchase another pair. I certainly would encourage anyone to purchase via Amazon and have peace of mind knowing should any problems arise that they will be dealt with promptly and hassle free. Back to dog walking with a spring in my step AND dry feet lol 
on 26 August 2010
Delivery was fast and well packaged. Wellies are sturdy and very comfortable. I use daily for dog walking and these seem perfect.
on 20 January 2014
Well what can i say - I love my wellies, just waiting for the snow !! they are a very snug fit which is ideal for me as have very narrow feet otherwise would of been to small so if you have wide feet would recommend next size up.
on 3 April 2013
Brilliant wellies! Great fit, defo get the welly socks for extra warmth! Avoid the glossy style they crack and look awful if you don't look after them by rinsing them if you've been in the sea!!
on 10 March 2014
I have entered a review in error. I had purchased a pair of normal length wellingtons for my daughter who is rather heavy on the calf.
They were much to tight .
These short versionwere ideal, she loves them.
on 7 November 2011
I've wanted to buy hunter wellies for ages, but I was hesitating because of the fact that I had never tried them on in a store, so I was unsure about the size, because I normally am between sizes and because I live outside the UK, so it is difficult to decide whether 5 is equivalent to a 38 or not. Anyway, I bought these in 5, red. The first time i tried them on, I had a weird feeling that it was a little bit too short for my toes and too wide for my feet. After wearing them for some weeks, I am starting to get used to the feeling. When I wore them with their welly sock it felt so much better. But I am still undecided on whether I should have bought size 6.
My feet stayed absolutely dry, even in heavy rain. There has not been any snow yet, so I cannot comment on how warm they keep feet in low temperatures.
The short boots are quite wide around the leg, which makes it easier to stuck jeans in. I wear them with skinny jeans or leggings and they look fabulous and stylish. They hit just below the calf.
Overall a good purchase, only drawback it is made in China (Therefore only 4 stars). I don't have anything against China,but I think if a company decides to produce there, then they should offer their products at a different price. I was lucky enough to find it on sale on amazon.
Thumbs up to amazon.co.uk for the delivery! Ordered them in the morning and received them the next day in the afternoon (and I live in Switzerland)!
on 12 June 2012
Smart wellies, very comfortable easy to put on although more effert is needed to take them off. I would not recommend to people with big calves
on 26 September 2011
I have not had a pair of Hunter's for about 20 years, making do with Dunlops etc. These 3/4 length boots are the well-remembered Hunter quality, but I would order a size bigger than you normally would as the width is a bit tight, and there is definitely no room for a pair of thermal insoles and a decent pair of thick woollen winter socks. They are made in China, as well, if you look very carefully past all the 'By Appointment' guff all over the packaging. So, mine might very well just end up being used for car-washing purposes, and an old pair of rigger boots will still be used for walking the Jack Russell through the snow, mud etc.