4.0 out of 5 stars Lynch and Herzog Combined.
Published 13 months ago by j.r

1.0 out of 5 stars Just dumb
Published on 9 Oct 2011 by T. Taylor

4.0 out of 5 stars Lynch and Herzog Combined., 23 Jun 2013
This review is from: My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
My Son, My Son, What have ye done? is a very well made and well cast movie but is almost a step backwards for the two famous directors, Herzog and Lynch, as there is very little plot or substance. With Lynch especially, you expect a certain amount of mystery. However at 90mins this film is still an excellent watch with memorable scenes. Michael Shannon is an excellent lead although I think he could have under played it a little more. A similar film to this is Peter Bogdanovich's film Targets(1968) which featured the last film appearance of Boris Karloff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Razzle them. Dazzle them. Razzle-dazzle them., 19 Feb 2011
L. Norris (southern England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I'll get it out of the way now, i am a huge Herzog fan, so i'm sorry if i may seem a little biased at times.

I put on this DVD knowing little about it, the way i usually like to go into a film. it opens in a typically Herzogian fashion, Lynch fans may say Lynchian, but i'll stick with what i know best and what with Herzog being in creative control, and knowing the mans history for control on set i'd say Lynch had very litle to do with the finished product, other than making sure it got to a distributor, but I digress, it opens in typical herzog style, long shot of a passing train, music, cut straight to our detectives talking in their car.

No time is wasted and the story very quickly gets to where we will be spending the rest of the movie, aside from scenes covering the back story.

i'm not going to say much about the story itself as i personally don't like to know anything much about a film before i watch it, maybe a little basic story, but that's about it.

In short it is The story of Brad, played by the very talented Michael Shannon, a persistant "manchild" who lives with his overbearing mother, played by typically offbeat Lynch regular Grace Zabriskie, he is a gifted actor, but becomes rather obsessed with a role in a Greek tragedy he is rehearsing, leading to him slaying his mother with a sword.

The rest of the film is flashbacks leading upto and helping to explain, the tragic events.

The whole cast is very good, especially Michael Shannon, as Brad, and Chloe sevigny as his girlfriend. Willem Dafoe plays it fairly low key as one of the detectives and Herzog regular Brad Dourif gets to be wonderfully over the top as Brads Bird farming Uncle.

Many moments make it feel like Herzog is referencing his past films, The scenes in Peru bring back memories of Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo, the Dwarf and the baby horse can't help but conjour up memories of Even dwarfs started small. and even a mention of chickens in any Herzog film in any context will always bring back images of the end of Stroszek, and lastly Herzog's takes that go on that little bit longer than the cast expects, usually reserved for his documentaries have a place in this piece.

In closing if you like Herzog you can't go wrong, and i'm sure that Lynch fans, going by what Lynch fans have said in reviews, will find something here to like too.

Sorry for any typos, spelling or grammatical errors... it's late.

5.0 out of 5 stars A valid and true example of mental decline, 23 May 2014
This review is from: My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
See it from another perspective. Whether a Herzog or Lynch fan, this is an insightful look into the mind of a man deteriating into mental illness. As someone with experience of this I found it fascinating to see the perspective of all people trying to comprehend or investigate the behaviour / changes to this man based on their familiarity or limited experience of him and how peoples subjective view influenced this. Also it's interesting to note how those closest can fail to see or be in denial about what's in front of then when decline is slow. Having gone on an internet dig I found a psychiatrists blog stating that, if you wanted a character study into a mans decline into schizophrenia look no further. This film is based on a true story! Michael Shannon has performed a great tribute to those in need of help who can often go overlooked. It is sad though that this scenario ended in such tragedy.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE WHOLE WORLD ALMOST STOPPED, 19 July 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Brad (Michael Shannon) has murdered his mother (Grace Zabriskie) with whom he had an odd relationship. Brad was in a play where the lead character kills his mother. As Brad is in a standoff with the police, homicide detective (Willem Dafoe) interviews Brad's fiancee (ChloŽ Sevigny) and stage director (Udo Kier). The story is told as flashbacks.

The director utilizes scenes from these interviews to show Brad's descent into madness. A surreal feeling is created around pivotal points when everyone stops moving. It is not a freeze frame, but a moment when the "whole world almost stops." These are supposed to highlight things which shaped Brad's thinking.

I was doing fine following the symbolism up to the point they started talking about the midget riding a dwarf pony being chased by a giant rooster around the tallest tree...as one of the four horsemen. Seriously Herzog?

The acting was good. With Lynch and Herzog you can expect something unusual, a drama where we try to discover what the killer was thinking. 4 1/2 stars.

Token f-Bombs, no sex or nudity.

4.0 out of 5 stars For a Herzog fan irresistible, 29 Jan 2013
M. Stencel (Poland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Interesting, atmospheric feature from a Herzog-Lynch (!) team. Superb casting and intriguing plot is treated in way that could enchant any Herzog/Lynch fan, even though a criminal suspense is somewhat softened by ubiquitous, "too-much" music which never stops. Anyway, this is exactly what one can expect from such collaboration: improvisationary acting, strange characters and moody atmosphere.
Interviews with Herzog and some of the actors also included.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tense thriller, and more..., 24 Sep 2010
J. Webb "jwebb66" (london, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I saw this at the cinema recently and was very impressed. Having always been a fan of Herzog and Lynch I was interested to see how much influence Lynch might of had on the film in his role as producer. The answer is, I think, a fair amount. The film is unmistakably 'Herzog' in the characterization and story with definate echoes of his classic work, notably Aquirre. Yet Lynch's influence is extremely apparent at times creating a surreal sheen to the proceedings (there's even a creepy dwarf bit!)

All this goes to create an extremely entertaining film which leaves you with plenty to ponder afterward.

A quick note on the cast - Willem Dafoe gives one of his best and empathetic performances in years. Uldo Kier crops up in a brilliant cameo role - but the star is Michael Shannon who is simply excellent, he's really turning into one of the best character actors around.

In a nutshell, the film delivers a great, tense police/hostage/siege thriller but also has a sly humour and intelligence sadly lacking from most mainstream fare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 July 2014
This review is from: My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Great item and service. Thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Herzog, you're gonna love this one!, 2 Jun 2012
This review is from: My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
If you like Herzog, you're gonna love this one! It's got all the usual Herzogian leitmotifs: dwarfs, chickens (or in this case prancing ostriches), Mexican songs, a suitably odd assortment of American demimondaines and a tongue-in-cheek B-movie look to it that takes you straight back to Russ Meyer. Gloriously inventive and beautifully shot too. It might not be on the same scale as 'Aguirre' or 'Fitzcarraldo', but a very interesting movie nonetheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dream Team gem, 10 Sep 2010
This review is from: My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Werner Hertzog, David Lynch, you never thought it could happen, but it has, and to great effect.

Love them or hate them, they have undoubtedly pulled together a feature that captues the very best of what both geniuses should be capable of.

As if the top line crew isn't enough, the cast includes numerous Oscar nominees who each give performances worthy of their nominations.

The film itself is powerful, hard hitting, and flows in a way that lures you in to its pace really well.

Based on a true story it's no wonder this film has received excellent critical acclaim with numerous 5 star reviews, and it will definitely grow to a wider audience outside of purely the Lynch and Hertzog fan base to become a gem to the masses.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just dumb, 9 Oct 2011
T. Taylor "knotbook" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I watched this film last night with my girlfriend. I was excited by the prospect of a thriller made by two of my cinematic heroes. Well - I can't tell you how disappointed we were with this film. Okay its a film about a man's decline into mental illness but, as my girlfriend said, the thing about people who are becoming dellusional is that its very boring because they see significance in things that are just mundane or don't exist. Lynch can put oddball characters in a film and it is mesmerising but here its just dumb. A dwarf appears at one stage and there's no reason or impact. The actors did not seem to beleive in what they were doing and the whole thing felt like am' dram' at its worst. Do not waste money on this....

My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? [DVD] [2009]